A gap in GOP candidates' healthcare proposals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Nov 20, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-gophealth20nov20,0,747551.story?coll=la-home-center

Yeah, I know, you don't want to pay for it, you have yours (figured I'd just put that out there now, knowing what's coming).

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Or have one of your children become an MD so you can not only get free evaluations, but also hear the position of the medical profession first hand.

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, there's a realistic idea. Wait 30 years for the kid to grow-up, enter college, and become a doctor. :rolleyes:

Talk about taking the long view. ;)

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I read this article in the paper yesterday. The big point it made is that the Republican candidates are completely out of touch on this issue. They're detached from the problem, so they're not going to be able to propose a realistic solution. I think the mainstream has gotten well past the point of believing that a little tinkering around the edges is enough.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The saddest (and scariest) thing I've heard from people I know in the medical field is that their only motivation for getting into it was money. Now that they've been it for years they say they wished they'd done something else. They hate it that much. That makes me wonder just how many more people like that are out there. I'd rather have people in the profession who love doing it and make slightly less, rather than people who are just in it for the money.

That said, the medical profession isn't the problem, it's the insurance companies. Health insurance should be non-profit. A lot more people would get treated.

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The people I know that are doctors and nurses got into it because it was not only something they really were interested in, but it would also provide a decent livelihood. Not that they were expecting to get rich (at least not until they were close to retirement) they entered the field out of genuine interest in healing people. I'm sure there are exceptions to that though.

I'm partially in agreement with you about insurance though. I don't think that it should be non-profit, but certainly more competitive. I believe that litigation and tort lawyers are more the problem though. I think the cost of insurance is a reaction to that more than a purely profit driven factor. Insuring big dollar risk costs big money.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, of course. I thought the same thing about my two cousins and a very good friend. Out of curiosity I asked them what they liked about the medical field, because I knew it was something I could never do. It freaked me out when they said, "nothing- well, the money's good. I wish I'd done something else". Especially my friend who's a heart surgeon- that really kind of made me sad. He wanted to be a doctor since we were in 6th grade. That's a lot of time to spend in school to end up being more or less unhappy. I know a lot of lawyers who've done the same. But yeah- there are those who truly do love it, I'm sure. I just don't know them. :(

You forgot drug companies. And what you just wrote illustrates the need for non-profit insurance.

8. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Or I could ask my Stepmother, the RN. Or my Stepbrother the doctor. Or his wife, also a doctor. Or any of those I worked with when I did support for a medical billing company. Or anyone I used to work with at the hospital I worked at. Or I could just look around and see that the current system is designed for profit, and in many cases to not treat you. Which for some reason I have a problem with. Even though these guys, who've been there themselves and should know better, don't seem to.

But as usual, you've completely missed the point. Their own plans don't provide for those in their same circumstances. IJ put it better than I or the article itself could:

Most of those I know in the field also went in to help people. The current system makes it hard to do that. I'm not, nor ever have, suggested we go completely gov run, but the system needs to be changed. Most of the plans put forth by most of the candidates, Dem and GOP, don't seem to fix anything IMO, or at least don't go far enough in some cases. My point though, as I said above and IJ implied, these candidates should know better. They've been there. It's disappointing that they don't.

As noted many times before already, tort reform is a red herring. First of all, there's already been some reform. Passed by the previous Congress. Costs have still climbed steadily up. Higher than settlements have comparatively, and far higher than legal bills and malpractice insurance. Someone had the exact numbers in another thread about this, I can dig it up if need be, but the point is that that is not the main problem by a long shot. Insurance companies are the problem. They've created far more bureaucracy than even the gov could, which is saying something, and have built entire businesses on not paying out claims. Hurting those in the medical field and the patients they are trying to help. From preexisting conditions, to rewarding those who deny claims and coverage, to arbitrarily raising rates to ridiculously high cost, to obscene profits (yeah, I know, you hate that term), there's the real problem that needs to be dealt with, and so far no one seems to want to. Edit: and big pharma, almost forgot about them, thx Lee.

But I know, you still don't want to pay for it, even though we already are.