A genuine question about the attributes of God

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AnimaLeo, Mar 10, 2012.

1. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Okay, so I ask a lot of Christians this and none of them ever give me a straight answer so I was wondering if anyone on here could.

Some attributes of God are: Omnipotent, Omnibenevolent and Omniscient. This all seem to massively contradict each other. For example: can God choose not to love someone? He must be able to or he's not all loving (just very loving or whatever), and if he can't not love someone then surely he's not all powerful?

Christians often say to me 'oh but God doesn't choose to be all loving he just is' but this doesn't really answer my question very well to be honest.

The only way I see around this is by saying that God is outside of human logic. Which for me creates even more problems such as God could both exist and not exist at the same time (Atheists and Theists could simultaneously be correct and incorrect, kinda cool). Also, God could love everyone and hate everyone, pre-destining us all to burn in hell forever just because he can and also love us at the same time. The idea of this God sounds really schizophrenic and dangerous to me, such a God I would not want to worship even if it did exist.

Any help?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You might as well ask if God can microwave a burrito so hot that he himself can not eat it.

3. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The answer is yes. :D

4. AnimaLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

The reason you're not getting a straight answer from anyone is because religion is a very personal thing, meaning it differs between people. There is no one way to practice religion and everyone is going to have a different stand point on it.

For me, I believe there is a God. I also believe that religion is about staying true to yourself and knowing that there is something to look forward to after you die. Some may think it's crazy, but I don't care. My spiritual beliefs have seen me get through some tough times in my life, and had I not had those beliefs to turn to I don't know how I would have coped.

My religion doesn't harm anyone, nor does the way I practice it. I don't go preaching it to others as I believe religion is something one must find own their own to get them through their own battles.

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

He could always eat it, it would just burn his God mouth, which of course would heal instantaneously.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Seriously, why do you give a **** about it? Practice concentrating on your own life and quit asking stupid questions.

8. AnimaLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a sub-forum concerning Religion, if you don't find it interesting why are you even on here aha? But to answer your question, I'm interested because when people tell me I'm going to Hell, I like to explain to them why their wrong.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That is futile. You are best to just ignore them.

10. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

You're not going to find the right answer on these forums.

The best way to find out is to ask God himself. If God really is all the things he's supposed to be, he can answer you. If he doesn't answer you… well then you have your answer. If God is real, let him speak for himself.

Try it, see what happens. I'd suggest being in a quiet place and sober while you do it.

11. 184550 Guest

O rly?

How do you know you're right and they're wrong?

12. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

The same reason you know that you won't be going to the circus after you die. Because it's absurd. (Although you can't prove a negative! So I guess it's possible.)

13. 184550 Guest

Exactly. I find his statements just as ridiculous as he apparently finds religion. But I'd be open to hearing his 'proof'. :p

14. AnimaLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

That was poorly worded. I don't consider myself an Atheist, of course there is a possibility they are in fact correct. I'm just waiting for some Christian or whatever to explain to me these inconsistencies I see in the Christian God, then I'd pretty much become a Christian right then. =)

15. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

What you are saying is that having the capabilities to make something obliges you to do it?

What if he can choose not to love someone? Why should he do it? The example you choose for showing the inconsistencies in God characteristics is weak.

A more proper example would be: Can God create a rock so heavy he is in no longer able to carry? And yet, this questions ends with the same: why would he do it? And god' ability to create a heavier rock, and yet, being able to yet carry it, is an infinite pattern.

The problems isn't that he can't do it, hence he is not omnipotent. The problem is that such an arguments is illogical.

16. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

This is the only contradiction/inconsistency you have with the personal god of human religions? There is absolutely no reason to believe in a fictional sky daddy over any other fictional supernatural story.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you're looking to be converted, I'm sure there is a priest somewhere who is more than willing...

18. AnimaLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not the point. The point is that he must be able to do it because he can do the illogical (to be omnipotent he mustn't be bound by human logic). So he could both love us and hate us at the same time, exist and not exist at the same time etc. It just seems like one huge contradiction.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    At least there's proof circuses exist. :p

20. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Speaking as an agnostic, I'd say that a theoretical God's love is constant and only our freewill to recognise and love in return changes that. Hell is merely a separation from God that is a result of our own choices.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm someone who is actively separated from the love of all supernatural entities and I can tell you my "hell" is he most beautiful of places.

22. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

*they're.

Ironic.

23. AnimaLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

Uh oh guiz, we done got got a grammar nazi here.

24. MorphingDragon, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

[​IMG]

Moldovans.