A glimmer of hope for return of the "Tap to Tweet/Post" NC Buttons

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by hellomoto4, Jul 18, 2013.

1. hellomoto4, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Hi everyone.

As you've all see there's been a fair amount of anger/frustration/confusion/happiness over the removal of the "Tap to Tweet" and "Tap to Post" buttons found in iOS 6 Notification Centre (NC).

Yes, iOS 7 is still in beta, but I'm sure there are plenty of individuals out there who are probably thinking that the aforementioned buttons might be out for good.

However, upon reviewing the the Settings > Sounds, it appears that Apple has left (by mistake perhaps?) the sound options for Facebook Post and Tweet.

Now correct me if I am incorrect (for which I hope I am not!) but are these particular settings only applied for the NC "Tap to tweet/post" buttons?
    If so, it would appear that maybe by leaving the settings in there, Apple might be planning a return of the buttons sometime soon!

Just my two cents on the speculation regarding the disappearance/removal :)

[​IMG]

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

They applied to anything tweeted or Facebooked throughout the system via the share sheet and via notification center so this doesn't mean much.

3. joshforman macrumors regular

Those sounds are for the built in support for twitter and Facebook. That is, apps can still post to those services....the NC buttons were just a way to start a blank post.

4. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

You can still have Siri do it for you, and that would use the sounds provided in these settings.

To be honest, I as pumped when they added those to the notification center, but personally I never got used to using them...so I wont miss them too much. For those who did form a habit of using them it sucks that they just took them out.

5. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

They should be back in beta 4. Apple has been slowly re-adding features, and since we are on a 2 week beta schedule, and beta 3 added back Music Ratings, I can see beta 4 adding those back, and possibly Quick Reply, all of these are in OS X. Another possibility is "Enhanced Dictation" from OS X Mavericks.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

We are not necessarily on a two week cycle. And not everything that was there in previous iOS versions would necessarily be in iOS 7 (and in particular those things that would somehow relate to OS X items).

7. hellomoto4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Ah, great point you make. I didn't even think of these. Still, I hope that they make their return because despite not using them a whole lot I do love the speed in which I can tweet/post.

8. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

It's been clearer than day that we are on a TWO WEEK schedule for OS X and iOS 7. I feel both are releasing the same day. Apple does 10.8.5 updates a few days before posting the iOS 7 and Mavericks betas the same day. And as Integration with both systems become apparent it is highly likely that these features are coming to iOS 7, or 7.1 (which has started its early alpha.)

9. ominx macrumors 6502

I've posted this before in two other threads on this topic, but I will repeat it here...

iOS 6 had those options in Notification Center, because there was no where else to put them at the time. But, they really do not belong in a UI that is dedicated to notifications. It should be reserved strictly for app push information. Interaction with that push information by the user makes sense, but not the initial launch of apps.

The Control Center is where they should return, if they return. This is now the UI for app launch and the initiation of user action.

10. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I have to disagree here, Control Center is for CONTROLS within Settings. Notification Center in the "Today" tab is where they will most likely be, seeing as they include Weather, Stocks, Traffic, Locations and Calendar in the notification center I think it will be in there, Quick Reply could also be in there, but using the app banners they can add a "Reply" just like in OS X, this would be more neat looking on an iPad, The buttons for Post, Tweet and Reply will most likely just be symbolized like OS X looks like currently

11. ominx macrumors 6502

Weather, Stocks, Traffic, Locations and Calendar in the notification center are all pushing data to you. How is tap to post to a social network the same?

Control Center has more than system settings. You can also launch apps/services, ie. flashlight, clock, calculator, camera and hopefully more in the future.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't think Apple put too much thought into the the tap to tweet/post feature when they added it. It's not a notification so it doesn't belong in the notification center.

13. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

14. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

I see both of your points, because they're both good points.

I really hope these features are not completely removed... it would be the epitome of a case study for form over function.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not quite the topic of the thread I guess, but just to provide a little more context to all of this, at least as far as iOS 7 betas are concerned, I'll mention something from a previous post I made in another thread dealing with beta releases:

Two data points (so far) might merely be a start of a pattern at best though. And even with some sort of a pattern it still doesn't mean the next release would have to follow it for some reason.

Plus there's another equally fitting and possibly even better potential "pattern" that relates to the expiration dates of the betas: beta 1 is set to expire on July 24th and beta 2 was released exactly one month before on June 24th (a Monday); beta 2 is set to expire on August 8th, and beta 3 was released exactly one month before on July 8th (also a Monday); and now beta 3 is set to expire on August 29th and one month before that July 29th just happens to be a Monday too (although three weeks after beta 2 release instead of the previous two).

16. bchery21, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

C DM, you always seem to be around to remind people that we're not necessarily on a 2-week cycle, I like that. I began to notice after this insightful response:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17581918&postcount=13

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

I just tend to follow quite a few threads (in particular iOS 7 ones recently) and sooner or later in at least some of them the whole "when is the next beta?" question/discussion comes up in one way or another, and often there's someone that will mention to expect it on this day or that date and/or bring up a particular pattern (usually the 2-week pattern) with some sort of certainty to it.

I just think it can be misleading in a lot of those cases where it seems like the information is somehow almost a provable fact, when it's nothing more than a guess (perhaps an "educated" one at best), so I often post something to that effect and/or bring up other possible "patterns" (that seem to fit so far at least) to show that it's not exactly a given one way or another.

We all have hopes and guesses as to when something is coming next (and what might be part of it), but that's what they mostly are--hopes and guesses.

----------

To kind of swing back to the topic at hand, so to say, I would have to agree for the most part with this. I think originally it was made available in the notification center to perhaps give the whole Twitter and Facebook integration, which were essentially new additions in previous iOS versions, some spotlight. Now that these kind of social service integrations are almost the norm, it might not be as necessary in Apple's eyes to give it all as much prominence as before.

It would be nice if they were still able to fit it in somehow (perhaps in a more appropriate place/way), so I guess we'll see how it goes throughout the beta process.

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

Haha. i thought I was the only one who noticed this. It's rather annoying, lol

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

No more or less than people saying to expect a beta on this day or that day without really having any actual information to that effect. ;)

20. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

actually i just though about this. maybe apple removed the tap to post and tweet since NC is now available from your Lock-screen if you want to. i can only imagine what kind of status people will write when you're not looking lol

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

There's a pattern at least. ;)

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

That could be part of it, although they can potentially restrict something like that from showing up on the lock screen version of notification center--basically have a slightly different version of what's available on the unlocked vs. locked phone (not sure if that's something that they actually might do or considered even).

23. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Yeah but being Apple they dont let you. just like in Control center they dont let you choose what toggles you want. Like i dont want Airplane mode accessible in the lock screen because if i lose my iphone they can toggle Airplane mode. Although they wont be able to activated i still wont have a phone.

24. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I'm definitely hoping for the return of them. I found them very useful.

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What Apple should do is consolidate all the notifications into the All tab, create a new tab named "Quick Action" and add the following options to it.

New Email
    New Text
    New Tweet
    New Facebook Post
    New Phone call (or add your phone favorites here)

and leave an API for devs to add more if needed.