A good case will be pretty much required...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mb25667, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mb25667 macrumors member

A lot of people rock cases anyways...but you're going to NEED one for this phone. It might be more structurally sound with the aluminum plate, but that plate is going to scratch like crazy...even easier than the glass of the 4/4S. (though not as easy as plastic)

I've been using a mophie juice pack air on my iphone4 and my antenna bands have scratches on them just from taking the case off and on.

The black phone you might be able to get away with a sharpie to cover up scratches...but the white and raw aluminum....ouch. One drop, even minor ones, you're going to have scratches all over that thing.

Not being negative...I'm definitely buying one...big jump over my 4. Just going to be overly-protective till a good case comes out.

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Hopefully it won't be that bad. After the nightmare of the chrome backs on the touches you wouldn't think they'd do that again.

3. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

You won't be able to notice any scratching to be honest.
    My aluminum macbook is tossed around and you can barely notice.

4. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I will not be using a case,not for this phone or any other iPhone I had

5. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I plan on using a clear protector like bodyguardz. I have used them for all my iphone and find them essential.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

7. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

damn.. your right

Wonder is I an find a nice bumper

8. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

same. I've had my macbook pro for 2.5 years and nary a scratch.

9. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

I got to examine a pre-production unit (black) that's been in the field for testing for a couple of months. No visible wear on the back or sides which surprised me.

Now granted, it's been in what they call a 'stealth' case while in the wild but still, I was surprised by the lack of wear.

10. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

11. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

Has anyone thought that maybe the alumineeum case also acts as a heatsink and putting it in a case of any type will impede heat dissipation (cue the 'ow, mine's really hot' complaints).

12. Benenstein macrumors regular

I've had good luck with my Lifeproof case for my 4s; I plan on ordering one for the 5 when the case becomes available.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

No case required for me. I have an old 5th Gen iPod (never used a case). It works perfectly still (battery life isn't too great though) & it has scratches.

It's just a phone. You might as well walk around with a helmet :p (kidding, but seriously, scratches aren't a big deal unless you purposely want to resell it).

14. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

My iPad is naked and I sit it down everywhere, at home, at Starbucks, at work. Not a mark on it, and it's the same material and finish as the iPhone 5 back so it shouldn't be a problem.