A great example of just how rubbish Fox News is

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Non-political story. Read the two articles, about Kaleb Langdale's incident with an alligator

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48146...m-gator-im-happy-im-still-alive/#.T_6oeHAYSF9

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/10/alligator-bites-off-swimming-teen-arm-in-fla/

I suppose I'm just amazed that with this utterly poor standard of reporting here their reports can be trusted with anything it is actually possible to be partisan on. Alligators eat mammals, this is nothing new, and they aren't being "vicious" in doing it, they're just doing what alligators do to survive.

Makes our own Daily Mail look like a quality paper, which is pretty much impossible to do. Honestly, what an utterly rubbish attempt at a "news" article.

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Really makes me despair for humans.MSNBC guy was a dufus as well "here we are at Gator-rama, which is an Alligator farm" no **** Sherlock.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

4. classicaliberal, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

You won't generally find me defending Fox News, or any major TV news source in the U.S., but this is a particularly bad example of their reporting failures, I have to say. Look at the second definition... I'd say an alligator attack fits pretty soundly into the vicious category.

vi·cious
    adjective /ˈviSHəs/ 

Deliberately cruel or violent
    - a vicious assault

(of an animal) Wild and dangerous to people

Serious or dangerous
    - a vicious flu bug

Immoral
    - every soul on earth, virtuous or vicious, shall perish

(of language or a line of reasoning) Imperfect; defective​

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Cable news outlets are all crap these days. Fox is right of Attila the Hun, MSNBC on-screen "talent" openly weep when a Democrat loses, and CNN is more concerned with on screen graphics than reporting the news.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Haha so tough he'll get someone else to track it down. Way to go captain hook :D

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Stopping bleeding from fatal wounds with spider webs.

All is well :D

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Someone already did. They found the boy's arm and brought it to the hospital, but doctors did not reattach it—I'm assuming because there was too much damage for the surgery to be successful.

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Fox news is awesome and entertaining. I watch it all the time, especially Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld. It's better than anything else on TV.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Ah that make sense I'll put both my hands up and admit that I didn't read the whole fox article. The bits I did were so bad they were humerus.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You can always count on a well-armed hunter took care of the 'gator.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Please, Second Amendment'er, if you don't mind.

This close encounter is far more bizarre, but got nothing on FOX???

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG]

Please, NO.

They would just screw it up, as they do with all Brit-Coms. :D

These guys appear to be 'imports', but they give me hope for the Ould Sod yet.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'm not sure why people single out Fox news given that virtually all news organizations are garbage. The use of modifiers such as "vicious" is bad reporting, but Fox isn't alone. I also fail to see that much of a difference in the articles. If anything, MSNBC is worse because it sounds like they edited out the "I want his head" part. As weird as that is to me, if he said it, then it should be reported IMO.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If you narrowed this to cable news, I might agree with you. But there are thousands of great journalist working at good organizations every day. I don't see how you can lump the work of someone like Anthony Shadid into the same chum bucket as the goons at Fox News.

17. Sydde, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Thing is, Fox alone is putting out that quote, even building their story around it. No one else got that from him, he does not come across as a bloodlust sort of guy. So, did he in fact say that? Fox claims they got it in an exclusive interview, so I guess we have to take their word on it, for whatever that might be worth :rolleyes:

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I'm from a generation where there was a distinction between News and Entertainment, those lines have become lost in today's world.:(

19. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Largely because individual journalists represent their respective organizations. And usually, the best articles originate from other articles found in academic journals. Many of the best journalists are all unknown.

edit: but I will agree that Anthony Shadid is (I should probably say was) absolutely top notch, among others. But even the best journalists will be limited by whom they represent.

I'd hope that if he didn't, another agency would explicitly note on it. I can't even say it's "bloodlust"...to me, saying you want the (already dead) crocodile's head that bit your arm off to put your prosthetic arm on top of is a slightly quirky way of being positive. Also, some people view mounting animals as having significant value (I personally don't understand it but different strokes...).

Now did he actually say that and Fox published it while other organizations found it not 'PC' enough, or did he never say any of it and Fox published it because they wanted to 'spice' it up? Or was it something in the middle? We really don't know. If down the road someone runs a follow-up story, we'll see. This is why I read multiple news outlets including Fox. While I have a lot of issues with their "fair and balanced" reporting, it's still important to know what they are saying to help identify potential issues with both their reporting and that of others.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Fox claims he said those thing in an exclusive interview. Apparently, only the Fox reporter was privy to that, and it looks like they may have no tape, just the reporter's word (though I could be wrong). Perhaps the Fox reporter asked leading questions or manipulated Fred's comments to make the story "spicier".

In the end, it is pretty trivial, unless Fred wants to make an issue of it. No one will really care next week.

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

True. It's hard to verify but I still see it as being important...not as much regarding the story itself but regarding the integrity of the organizations. Like other organizations, Fox has 'fabricated' claims and I feel it is important for misinformation to be exposed.

22. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

I actually just watched a documentary from 2004 election about fox. Basically the soviets would envy them about how well they be a mouthpiece for a political party without most of their viewers knowing. Using things like "some say" when no one actually said it. It amazing how reports and producers are allowed to have spouses fund raising for canadates.

It's truly amazing though it goes all the way to local talk radio. They all harp on the same issues all day long, it's just one massive political assault on truth and facts. A huge red propaganda machine the soviets wish they had.

Doc is called outfoxed if you haven't seen it.