A great unbiased article detailing the iPhone IP war being waged (against android).

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2012-03-29/apple-s-war-on-android#p1

This article was excellent and written in a way that kept my attention the whole way through (no easy task).

I'd recommend anyone who wants to know about the iPhone IP battles going on read it.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's an interesting article. It' like a geeky mafia story.

3. Phokus macrumors regular

I don't see why apple fans would be cheering apple on, Patent trolling stifles innovation.

For example, google voice search is now much better than Siri. If Apple were the only company allowed to have voice search functionality, they woudn't have as much incentive to make Siri better. But because Google one upped them, they sure as heck are scrambling to improve it. Apple fans should be against Apple's patent trolling.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Easy for you to say ..... your just a consumer.

5. Phokus macrumors regular

Yes, and Apple's patent trolling is anti-consumer, for BOTH apple and android users. I only hope the retaliation by Samsung and Google will make Apple pay the price and they eventually enter into some agreement to end this nonsense or the patent laws get changed.

6. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

God I hate lawyers. That article made me hate them just a bit more.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Ok let's see .....

Early pre-versions of android looked like a BlackBerry OS, and after the iPhone it suddenly looked like iOS. Then manufactures started banging out nothing but similar to iPhone designs. And that's just the first couple years. When Samsung's galaxy line came out, even the icon design were basically the same. I could go on and on, like the slide to unlock all the way down to the packaging.

Now I'm not saying that Apple has a patent on everything nor do I feel some patents are fair. But given the obvious monkey see/monkey do actions from the competition, I don't blame Apple for trying to enforce it's patents. I would do the same.

Apple is not the almighty creator nor did they invent anything new. But I do give Apple much credit to be innovative enough to be unique in it's own right. Which is the very reason Apple is going after everyone, to mantain it's uniqueness.

8. Phokus macrumors regular

You obviously didn't read the article, Apple copied the look and feel of South Korean phones (and also infringed on a Japanese Patent on that as well):

Apple fanboys should really stop making these unsubstantiated claims.

9. blackhand1001, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Apple has not been damaged by this at all. They just want to kill android because they would rather not have competition. They are wasting everyone's time here. The whole siri thing is a bunch of crap. I've had people years ago say they wish there was a program that you could talk to naturally and have perform tasks. Apple did not think of that idea. Also Google has to write all the code themselves which is the hard part. Its not as if Google went to apple copied and pasted the code and put that out. This goes for the entire os as well. Googles slide to unlock solution is nothing like apples. In fact they innovated by making perform more than just being able to unlock the phone. What apple is doing is wrong. The patents they have are so broad and they are for things that many people have thought of already. I guarantee they'll get thrown out but they are taking advantage and of how slow the legal system is. The trial isn't until 2014. The nexus will be beyond old news by then.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The iPhone and\or iOS doesn't resemble the LG Chocolate in anyway at all. Just cause the apps are in a grid format means nothing. Only thing Apple copied was OSX to create iOS. Everything else was use of exist technology and putting it together from their own design. There's a differ between using exist tech and ideas vs just carbon copying something.

11. Phokus macrumors regular

Except we're talking about hardware here and the iphone DOES resemble those past phones (i.e. it's APPLE who's claiming samsung ripped them off with their phones with 'rounded corners', which is patently ridiculous, no pun intended).

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's obvious everyone copied a successful design that Apple's iPhone has(whether that itself was copied or not).

But I agree everyone should be able to. The design is not that unique or one of kind. Shapes are of limits, unless it's an actual symbol. Now if the iPhone were shaped like an Apple, they would have a serious case. LOL

BTW ... Apple is fighting not just for hardware.

13. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Apple needs to get off their high horse. They copied others just as much as everyone has. This is how progress is made. Everyone of these so called patents that apple has said their infringing android has made improvements upon.

14. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

are we talking about this LG Chocolate

[​IMG]

is it just me, or is that phone conceptually entirely different from an iphone?

15. Phokus macrumors regular

You got the wrong phone, this is the phone they're referencing, and yes, the iphone ripped off their design:

[​IMG]

16. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

17. MidMan macrumors newbie

Copying other company's intellectual properties slavishly is not a competition. Fandroids are trying to cover thieves.

If you forgot what made Apple mad first, here is it:

[​IMG]

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

This is the LG Chocolate circa 2006 (not really seeing an iPhone resemblence)

[​IMG]

This is the LG Prada circa Dec 2006 (first announced on Dec 12, 2006, with images of the device appearing on websites on Dec 15, 2006. An official press release showing an image of the device appeared on Jan 18, 2007 and was the first mobile phone with a capacitive touchscreen. LG Prada also won the iF award in 2006 and used that as a claim that Apple stole the design of the original iPhone from there.) here are the comparison shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the F700, Samsung announced and showed photo's a month after the iPhone. This is a non-issue. There is video evidence showing the F700 unveiling in Feb 2007, not in 2006 as some have claimed in rumors. You can pass on this as there is no debate to be had here.

19. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Exactly. If there's one company that's getting what's coming to them it's Samsung. These guys really had no shame back then.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

This has already been debunked by dozens of sources. The iPhone was physically shown before the Samsung F700 and LG Prada at Macworld.

Google LG Prada iPhone debunked and you'll get several different articles on the matter.

21. Phokus macrumors regular

[/COLOR]
    Ok, i googled that:

Uhm, this engadget article was published in 2006 on the Prada:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/15/the-lg-ke850-touchable-chocolate/

22. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

You kidding? There's a month between them and it's a dumb fone. It's an example of parallel evolution. The galaxy on the other hand is a mirror image of a device two years old at that time.

23. Phokus macrumors regular

Except is APPLE who is belligerently suing everyone claiming everyone ripped them off.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Apples FCC docs predate that by 2 months. There is simply not enough evidence or time to suggest Apple looked to LG or Samsung for inspiration.

If LG had a case they would be all over it and make billions in royalties.