A great Victory for Americans! Thank-you Chris Dodd

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Dec 17, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I do not know how many of you have been keeping up with the new FISA bill and its provision to provide 'retroactive immunity' to the telco companies, who have already broken the law while in league with the Bush Administration. But, it was getting very close to passing. However, Senator Chris Dodd vowed to filibuster the bill and he was good to his word. Just a few minutes ago, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reed tabled the bill. :D :D

This may be the biggest victory we have had to date against the WH. The current bill would have allowed them to cover up their tracks, and we would have been hard-pressed to learn the truth. This would have prevented the courts from having any jurisdiction in what will surely be unparalleled illegal spying on American citizens, and violations of their civil rights.

...... you can’t get around the fact that this is what REAL, American leadership looks like .....

Of all the candidates, there are two that really stand out in my mind. One is Chris Dodd and the other is Joe Biden. Virtually every single day, I am reading, listening and watching what the candidates are saying, doing, how they are voting, etc. It seems to me that Dodd and Biden are 'a cut above'. Yet, they are being largely ignored. So, I have started asking people why. So, I will ask you; why do you not support them? I am really curious. Dodd just stopped in the middle of the campaign trail and came back to fulfill this promise to the American people. Biden is jumping back and forth to DC for his Senate investigations. These are the guys who are doing what we hoped for last January. Anyway, I would be very interested to hear some other peoples thoughts.

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I think the likely answer to your question will be that people don't know much about Dodd or Biden since the media hasn't covered them as much as Hillary or Obama. The MSM really does the country a disservice when they place their need for a "good story" above all else.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good to hear! OMG! This country might possibly be saved after all.

4. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Lee, what do you think about Chris as a candidate? I sure respect your opinion.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've liked Biden on other issues, but he has foot in mouth disorder, and as others have pointed out, there's a lot not to like. Dodd seems like a good choice, but isn't high profile enough. I know it's stupid, but he's angling for VP, and I think he'd do a good job of it. Most importantly though, he stopped Reid and the others who were going to vote on the bill for immunity, from making a big mistake. We need oversight, but more hiding, more protecting those who are doing unconscionable (and Unconstitutional, not to mention illegal) things all in the name of national security, that doesn't do any of us any good. They want to spy on people, they think something is going on, they need a warrant. A warrant they can get immediately with almost no proof, even afterwards, but they need one nonetheless just to provide oversight. Far too much abuse otherwise. And those who break that should be accountable.

This should just be a given considering how much we say we value freedom, but here we are arguing over it. Debating whether or not people deserve privacy and whether law enforcement needs proof before doing such things. I suspect we may have some come in here telling us it's needed to prevent terrorism or whatever, even though it isn't, and is already being used in other ways, and doesn't negate the need for a warrant, but there probably will be because they support the current administration. Nevermind that the next Pres. may be a Dem and could do the same thing, nor that it's something that's completely reprehensible and something the Founding Fathers specifically were fighting against.

- Those who give up liberty for the temporary perception of safety deserve neither.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The twisted thing about this whole story is that Harry Reid apparently honors holds from GOP Senators, yet ignores holds on legislation from Democrats. Reid also allows unanimous consent motions saying that 60 votes will be needed for cloture when GOP priorities are at stake, yet requires Democrats to actually stand and do the "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" thing and actually talk the fillibuster through.

And how weird was it to see a Senator prepared to fillibuster legislation from his own caucus?

This whole FISA thing stinks.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't know much about Chris Dodd unfortunately. I don't really have an opinion. :eek:

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I know I don't have the conservative cache that a Rat or Lord may have, but I'd like to add my thoughts, if I may.

Biden is a douche. Between his remarks on Americans of Indian descent and his Obama line (what about JC Watts?), I wouldn't mourn his disappearance from the world population. Even more disturbing to me is that neither comment got much, if any, media attention. I found his comments more offensive to me than all the Macacas in the world.

Screw him.

Dodd, on the other hand I have some disagreements with, but I think is overall a pretty good guy. If you Dems can get him the nomination, the GOP would have to have a pretty strong candidate to hold on to my vote.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, it is weird. The GOP just threatens and the Dems cave. They didn't even do anything this time, and suddenly Reid starts making excuses saying he had to put that bill forward first. I'm glad he finally got the hint, and I wish others would follow suit. I also noticed that so few of the other Dem candidates took the time out to actually support him and what he was trying to do instead of just talking about it. Glad someone took the chance to actually do something about it.

And for those who think we're partisans who don't criticize the Dems, look up.

10. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Since I started this thread, I have been engaged in researching Chris Dodd, the man who would be President. I cannot find a single reason not to endorse him to lead us. He is one of the few candidates who is not 'owned' by corporations. Why do you think his corporate sponsorship is so low? Why do you think the mainstream media is largely ignoring him? They are really only offering us the candidates THEY have selected for us to choose from. They want us to have a President that jumps when THEY say 'jump'.

Chris Dodd is doing the things we hoped the democrats would do, beginning last January. As you know, I post here everyday. I have been part of the disappointment we have all felt about the lack of progress being made in government, and the frustration we feel as we watch the democratic leadership cave to the Bush Administration. This is NOT what we wanted.

Right now, we have a candidate who has an impeccable Senate record, but more importantly, has demonstrated the 'grapes' to take on the WH, and their corporate backers. Is this not the candidate we have been hoping/praying for? Well, he is here. You do not have to accept the ".. if I were..." rhetoric from Chris Dodd. He is doing it in front of your eyes.

Even after his masterful demonstration of leadership, most of the national media ignored the story, or (NYT) buried it on page 29! What in the hell does that tell you? If you want more of the 'same old thing', then support one of our 'pre-selected' candidates. Is that what we want? I sure as hell don't.

Yesterday, there were over 500,000 emails and phone calls placed in support of Chris Dodd's filibuster. The national media is trying to pretend it did not happen. It would really upset the 'order of things' if a Senator like Chris Dodd, who is not owned by corporate America, became President. But, we have the ability to put anyone in the WH we want. Please give Senator Dodd careful consideration. We spend a great deal of time here ripping up the current candidates. I do not think many of us feel that good about the 'approved list'. Senator Dodd could very well be the candidate we have been looking for.

Whether you end up agreeing, thanks for listening (reading),

Steve McPherson

PS: Happy Holidays! :)

11. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Dodd certainly has my support now; I only wish I lived in Iowa or New Hampshire. I saw him interviewed yesterday and the line that caught my attention was this: any candidate for leader in 2009 should show some leadership in 2007. He has, and in doing so has earned my vote. Thanks SMM for the moving post.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed. Why did I have to read about this first at MacRumors, and not at CNN or on my home page's news, which I visit every day?

Anyway, big props to Dodd. I've liked the guy for a while now, and this just gives me one more reason.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

It certainly is telling that as of this post, not one single person has stated that they are voting for Dodd in the primaries in that thread. In fact, there has only been one post that even suggests that they would vote for Dodd. ;)

14. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

Sounds like you need a lot more of his kind over there.

15. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Much can happen between now and the convention. All Chris has to do is show increased momentum over the next two-three months. Admittedly, he is coming from the 'back-of-the-pack'. But, the 'big MO' is a funny thing. I remember watching an NFL wildcard play-off game back in the early 1990's (as I recall). It was between the Houston Oilers and Buffalo Bills. Houston built a huge lead (35-3) in the 2nd half. In football parlance, it was over! I was at a friend's house and waiting for the next game. This was painful to watch.

To make a long story shot, Buffalo got a break and scored. That got a little (MO)mentum going. Then, wham/bam, an on-side kick and a quick score. it was 35-14 and the crowd got back into the game. It became a matter of Buffalo not being able to do a thing wrong, and for Houston the opposite. In the end, Buffalo won the game. Sometimes, momentum can be everything.

Chris may be in a dismal place right now. I am sure he would like to be (at least) center-pack. Yet, he is competing against a group of candidates who have not distinguished themselves by capturing the electorate's imagination. Most of the people I have spoken with are not really strong on the candidate they currently support. I think that leaves the door pretty wide-open.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not a registered Dem, and am not voting in the primary. I'm in CA anyway, and by the time they get to us, the media will already be declaring a winner. Dodd seems like a good choice, but we'll be lucky to get him as VP. And to be honest, I don't know enough about him to completely throw my support behind him over 1 issue. It's the same with Biden, who though I liked his stance on Iran, everything else I've found out about him has been disconcerting. Not that the media is helping, because they don't actually seem to want to talk about the issues, or the other candidates who aren't Hillary or Obama or Edwards' haircut.

If he does win the Dem nom, and isn't a nut, I'll support him. Until then, I support what he's trying to do. And like I said, would be happy with him as a VP.