A guy in Alberta "became" a woman to pay less car insurance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by snowboarder, Apr 30, 2018.

1. snowboarder macrumors 6502

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I know as a white male I feel so disempowered

3. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Feminism is getting out of control. Women are getting more and more privileges over men in all areas just for not being a man, which is unfair.

True equality means not caring what sex you are, but modern feminism is just creating more segmentation.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The problem seems to be allowing insurers to discriminate based on gender. Seem like it would be the liberals that would support fixing that problem.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2018 ---
    This isn't about women getting more and more privileges. It's about allowing insurers to continue to discriminate based on gender.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Auto insurers work on numbers, like all insurance companies do (auto/home/health/etc). Statistics bare out that male drivers take more risk then female drivers. It's not made up out of thin air. Accidents, tickets, DUI's, etc. Males are a greater risk and do more driving (on average) than women. Now the question becomes does that change simply because you decide you want to be referred to as "She" and start dressing like a woman or does it change if they cut your pecker off? Or does it ever change?

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That's all true. I don't think that discriminating based on sex/gender should be legal.

8. juanm, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Woah, this is just a great thread. This is not discrimination, this is about assigning higher risk to different groups based on available statistics. This is about letting a company decide what's best for them: free market, kill regulations, MAGA, Leave the EU, etc... I thought that's what you guys wanted?

They also "discriminate" on age, make of car, etc. Do you think an 85 year-old is being discriminated against? Or do you prefer to pay exactly like them (ie: more) because you feel you're enjoying a privilege compared to them?

What a non-news (except for the guy involved, of course).

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

OK, its BS that men pay more but the title of this thread isn't accurate. From the linked article: "I must say (for anyone who tries to report me) that I didn’t legally change my sex solely for cheaper auto-insurance, though, that was and is a big factor for me and other people who suffer from gender-dysphoria." If anyone believes that saving money was really a factor, I have a bridge to sell you. Its a perk, that's all

10. Rum_Becker Suspended

Just called my issuance company and I will save big on my life and auto insurance. I'm going to get a letter from my doctor and stating that I am a woman. This is great news, thanks OP

this video shows you how easy it is to change gender in Canada.

Kinda like when police pull over a black person, they are higher risk so they get treated different.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The whole point of insurance (home, auto, health) is to discriminate between various groups. Obese, smokers, men, women, drive a Prius vs. a Corvette, drive 50miles to work each way vs. 3miles, do you own one of the dogs on this list (pitbull, Rott, Doberman, German Shepard, etc), hell where you live factors into it.

12. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Only thing I find shocking is the number of folk who don't understand insurance underwriting calculations (the redditor admitted they also suffer from GD so it's not like this was the only reason they transitioned).

As per DMV.org: How Gender Affects Auto Insurance Rates

The statistics tend to show that as a group, women are less likely to:

• Get into a car accident.
    • Commit moving violations, like speeding and driving under the influence (DUI).
    • Buy cars that are more costly to insure.
    • Drive as many miles as the average male driver.
    For the reasons above, car insurance for women is typically cheaper than it is for men.​

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Grouping together by protected classes and assigning them greater or lesser value as a group is a pretty good definition of discrimination. The make of your car isn't a protected class.

Who do you think doesn't understand insurance underwriting?

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

No, it's the liberals ruining the world.

:rolleyes:

16. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

And I don't think they should be able to discriminate against protected classes (race, sex/gender, religion, etc.) It's not a complicated position.

17. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Judging by some of the comments here, seems like a few...

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So you want my health insurance rates as a single 22yr old man to be the same as a 45yr old single woman because we are somehow equally at risk for breast cancer?

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Such as...?

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Wait-a-minute...

Does that simply mean the rates for collision based on statistical evidence that (surprise surprise,) men cause more accidents than women??

IOW, the higher rate is simply what insurance companies do to balance their income vs losses statement and not any kind of deliberate scalping?

21. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I didn't say anything about age. All other things equal, I do expect the insurance rates of a man to be the same as those of a woman. Just as I expect the rates of a Christian to be the same as a Buddhist. Or a hispanic and an asian.

22. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

"but shows how horribly they discriminate men over there"
    "Women are getting more and more privileges over men"
    "It's about allowing insurers to continue to discriminate based on gender" (posted by yourself even)
    "No, it's the liberals ruining the world."

As an older driver in the UK my rates were far cheaper than when I was an arrogant know-it-all teenager with peer-pressure to live up to. We going to say this is age-discrimination now?

23. BoxerGT2.5, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You just said they shouldn't discriminate against protected classes, age is a protected class.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

&
    Some times I really worry about the conservate echo chamber brewing up north... :rolleyes:

This has little to do with a "liberal world" and more to do with the actuarial studies that determine the propensity for a person to get into/cause an auto accident.

Somewhere along those lines they determined that males were more of a risk factor than females... fair or not I don't know, what I do know is that while your typical actuary is a math-wiz they have a difficult job of determining/incorporating all factors to come up with a solid number. As an economist I'm well aware of those problems, they have the unfortunate task of calculating the minutiae (dollar and cents) in a vacuum, while most of my work is rounded (at the tightest to the 100K mark).

But you know if the math is too difficult to understand one can always blame politicians. ;)

25. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Is gender fluidity valid in Canada? Claiming no gender is valid on passports.

People making convenient declarations is a logical consequence.

It seems the insurance industry and the Canadian government will need to address it.