A hypothetical regarding the baby shooting...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CalWizrd, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Here is the scenario:

You have a concealed carry permit, and are carrying your firearm. You are approximately 15 feet away from the teenagers threatening the woman with the baby carriage. You see the older teen fire his pistol twice... once grazing the woman's ear and then shooting her in the leg. The teen then walks around towards the front of the carriage, pointing his firearm towards the infant.

What do you do?

• Draw your weapon and shoot the teen
    • Draw your weapon and order the teen to drop his gun
    • Some other action (please explain)
    • Nothing

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

How about we just get rid of guns like Australia, Japan, and many European countries have so a mother doesn't have to beg for her baby's life before being shot dead?

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I would recommend using the current thread to make these posts.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

More accurately, what do you assume or guess you'll do?

It's really easy to imagine that you'll deftly pull out your gun, disarm or shoot the teenage and save the baby.

People like to daydream like that.

5. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

You won't get any actual responses here. But you know exactly what most are thinking.

6. CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

I assume or guess that you would do nothing.

What would I do?

If I felt that I could draw my weapon quickly enough and safely shoot without the woman or carriage in my line of fire, I would take the shot. If not, if there was some kind of cover near me I would yell as loudly as I could while trying to reach cover.

If none of those, quite frankly, there is probably nothing I could have done, and therefore would probably have done nothing.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

If you're going to pull out your gun, you must assume you're going to discharge it. So seeing as how the teen is a threat (already fired the weapon), you do what it takes to protect your baby, yourself and other innocent people from the gunman.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

One thing you could assume is that I wouldn't be walking around with a firearm.

9. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Thanks for the laugh.

10. iMikeT macrumors 68020

So you think a mother pleading for her child's life is something to laugh at?

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

I think he was laughing at the notion of banning weapons means that the same scenario won't still happen. It'll just happen with a stolen weapon, or a knife.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

13. CalWizrd, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

14. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Of course not. If you hate guns so much maybe you should move to Japan or Australia, see how that works out for you. Guns will always be around that's just the way it is.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That is the way it is and will be for many years to come.

But I think you overestimate the ease of leaving this country for Japan or Australia. I personally would love to become an Canadian citizen, but i hear it's not that easy.

:(

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Only if you don't want to affect the right kind of change.

Case in point: they were just as rampant in Australia prior to Port Arthur in 1996. They made the change, and look at how it's paid off for them.

You don't want that kind of change here, which is why people here are too lazy to want to affect a change like that. It is one of the reasons why we aren't as civilized as we make ourselves out to be, as well as lagging behind in being the best at things.

Too bad we are too egotistical to see and realize that. However, if we were to glorify our brains and our will to strive and exceed as much as we glorify our guns, we may be able to affect such a change.

Disclaimer: I lived in Australia during Port Arthur, and I'm an American.

BL.

17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I believe if your life in the US is bad and that you are unhappy here then it would be worth going through whatever it takes to be happy. I understand that life isn't perfect here, but the grass always looks greener on the other side until you actually get to it and see it has just as many brown patches. Thousands of legal immigrants have went through the process to become US citizens because they wanted a different life so I assume a US citizen could do the same if they really want or need a change.

Canada wouldn't be a bad place to live, but you better like winter and cold or you would be miserable. South Dakota can have some pretty tough winters, but then again I love winter.

With that all said I am not sure why this thread was started. All of the gun threads on here go the same way... round and round and round and round and I have not seen one opinion swayed. Just lots of words and emotion and in the end we are at the same place we started.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That country just represents my values more these days ... less militaristic, more concerned with the needs of the citizens.

If I could, I'd move there.

But I don't think my wife would like the idea.

:D

19. CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

More concerned with the needs of the citizenzens?

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I don't agree. There are a lot of people who read but don't post. I often wonder whether their opinion changes based on the extremist posts and, I believe many are turned off by fundamentalists who never go off road in their 4 wheelers and buy a gun purportedly to hunt NRA sanctioned "varmints".

The NRA's propaganda only appeals to a tiny minority of gun owners. The more extremist LaPierre becomes, the fewer people there are to support the NRA.

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

On the other hand you have extremists calling to ban assault rifles and whatnot, and fortunately they are also disenfranchising individuals as well, leading us back to the middle: closing loopholes, working on mental health, and making sure we are doing what we need to do for background checks and stuff.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Such extremists.

Oy.

:rolleyes:

Makes you wonder how some people manage to live without them.

23. eric/ Guest

eric/

Probably like normal people, who don't care one way or the other what people own, because it's none of their business.

24. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

There are plenty of extremists on the other side that want the 2nd Amendment repealed and the guns taken even if it requires force to get them. There are a lot of gun owners who are not NRA members that don't agree with a silly cosmetic AWB.

Can you please explain why a rifle like the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle which has the same exact capability and function as the AR15 was going to be allowed by Feinstein, but the AR15 wasn't? That proves the whole ban was about cosmetics.

It is funny that you try to throw in some negative stereotype about people who own a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I live in snow country at 5500 ft. Our snowfall average is 144 inches a year. Oh yeah I just own my little 4WD Ford Escape to look cool. In fact everyone who lives here owns a 4WD just to look cool. Yep that's it. Maybe we just need to ban all 4WD vehicles. If you can't make it up the icy hill to get to your house... oh well just walk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.