A large number of new topics on here CANT be genuine surely?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Each day I read multiple topics here on the same issues over and over again. The tone and feel of many of them suggest they are the work of rival companies, users of other brands of handset, etc.

Why do I say this? Well for a start Ive never ever been to a forum, especially a forum with supposed well educated apple owners, where there are so many duplicate posts each day from people who claim they are discovering these issues for the first time and have never heard of them before! Its ridiculous. Anyone who has ever used a forum before knows how to use the search feature. On this forum however you dont even need that, just scroll down! But no, a new topic is created each time. Little suspect dont you think?

They cant be genuine and must be done deliberately to make the forum look full of complaint style threads. Also reading many of them, the wording, and ignorance of the poster again raises alarm bells. Many of them sound like they were written by someone who has never used an iPhone4 because they contain the kind of overblown hysteria you tend to see in the press articles as opposed to what its really like to use the iPhone4.

Ive taken to hardly reading many of them let alone replying and I suggest you do the same. Each time a new thread is created, genuine users like yourself reply in defence of the phone. Taken in by yet another fake topic. Dont be fooled.

Sadly there is so may of these fake "OMG THIS IS A MAJOR FLAW!" style posts pouring on here one after another that the genuine good stuff gets lost.

It makes the forum look like its used by dumb ignorant people which Im sure is not the case. I think the reality is closer to what Ive suggested above. Think about it.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This forum has really gone downhill compared to a year ago and the moderators are hardly doing anything despite the dedicated thread at the top warning people to take it cool. What is it about the iPhone 4 that attracts this new breed of iPhone users who throw around dumb and juvenile comments?

3. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

The manifestations in the forum are a result of your subconscious projection.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

So you saw Inception this weekend huh?

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Yeah most of it is advanced trolling/marketing from other companies imo.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Sometime people get bore and just post about anything....

7. samcraig macrumors P6

I disagree. I don't think "most" of it is. Some - sure. But I think MOST are people who are either new to MR or simply think their thoughts deserve a whole new thread. Which is why the abundance of new threads

As for the amount of complaints/arguing back and forth - I don't think that's indicative of "foul play" as I think a lot of the people arguing are frustrated Apple "fans" who feel let down.

8. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

And the threads aren't real.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

10. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Based on your previous posts Id expect you to say that, but COME ON you cant honestly say that these repeat posts look genuine? There is no way. Some of them yes, Im not saying they are all fake. A lot of them are though. Ive never seen a forum used in this way before, its insanity.

Dont you think as a struggling competitor, its a chance to get a cheap shot in. Strike while the iron's hot etc

Dont you think as a customer who owns a rival handset its a chance to feel better about your 'lesser' handset.

They just dont read right and if you cant see that then you are letting your own experiences blind you.

11. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

There is a simple answer to your very valid topic and an answer.

There is no moderation what so ever and a plethora of juvenile posters all of whom joined recently. There may be competitors but I think the majority are a bunch of pimple faced moronc kids that sit behind computers and obviously have nothing better to to with their time, other than make up crap and post it and see if they can make something into and issue and go viral. god forbid they read a book or something

This forum has become a joke!

the answer is, there should be more mods and serious ones.

12. zoman504 macrumors regular

There seems to be a lot more useless threads like this one popping up lately than anything else. Blame your fellow fanboys for continuously having to start new threads to simply "comment" on other threads.

13. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I think you are missing the bigger picture here. I dont post topics like this day after day, page after page. I find it very odd you like to use a forum that is filled with utter nonsense most of the time?

If you cant see that they are fake and would prefer to attack my topic instead then Im not sure what that says about you.

14. 3GEE macrumors regular

3GEE

There's an online jihad going on for sure but I agree with one of the posters above. Mostly bored kids. It wont improve until there is some serious moderating that takes place.

15. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

People complain because they think it will lead to something free. It's the human condition I'm afraid. Everyone is out to get more than they bargained for.

16. Schweitzer macrumors regular

That's definitely not true.

I posted a thread about a test conducted by the german equivalent of "consumer reports" (Stiftung Warentest), a respactable institution, where they performed tests and found a loss of 90% signal strength in the iPhone 4 compared to 25% loss in other cell phones.

I thought that was an interesting information, well worth a thread.

It took only a few minutes for some moderator to move it to Wasteland for "some reason" I suppose.

So, don't worry, this forum is obviously the kind of "forum" you guys want and deserve.

Other than that: the camera, proximity sensor and antenna problems are real and won't go away by denying, trying to hide or downplaying them.

17. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

18. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

I think the OP is paranoid. I also think his/her join date of Jul 2010 is suspect. Most likely an existing member who wants to remain anonymous. Shouldn't two screen names violate the TOS. Mods need to see whether this is the case by checking their IP addresses.

To address the topic, Apple has grown and in the process, garnered many more users of their products. Their sales figures reflect this increase in patronage. With a larger base of customers and potential consumers, there will inevitably be many more who seek out information from a reputable and heavily trafficked site like this. More users of Apple products translates to more registered users. They want to learn more and perhaps complain, when warranted. Also, many maay news aticles link to this site. This in itself increases traffic.

It might just be that many people are lazy and refuse to do searches, so they start new threads. Some dont want their questions or posts to be hidden deep in long threads.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Sir Ruben - you seem like a nice enough guy. But in the interest of "fairness" - several other people have posted the same or similar sentiment as you. So why not post your thoughts in one of their threads? Why create a new one. Seems as though you're "guilty" of similar behavior. Maybe for the "good" of the board - but still the same behavior.

I don't say this to suggest you shouldn't have posted. But perhaps that's because while there's a lot of noise right now because of the issues some people are or are not having - I can decide for myself which threads to read or not read. I don't put that onus on you, the mods or anyone else.

You want to insinuate that I'm either naive or that I don't see what's going on here. On the contrary. As someone who has moderated several popular message boards in the past I can tell you that it's the nature of the beast.

I can also tell you that it's cyclical. The phone was JUST launched. And if you have any history here - you'd see that there is always a lot of threads created around the time of keynotes, launches, etc. Worse this time? Maybe. But look at the statistics and they'll explain it better than conspiracy theories.

There was a greater increase of exposure due to the Antenna issue. And the adoption rate of the iPhone is greater now than it has ever been.

That means that exponentially, this site with grow with readers and posters contributing.

Perspective.

20. aaarrrgggh macrumors regular

Sadly, I have to say quality of the forum has actually improved over the past two years or so. Discussions seem to have actual content more often, rather than just me-too's.

But moderation is really the key when the signal to noise ratio goes up.

I doubt many of the people are paid trolls-- just fanboys of a different flavor.

AppleInsider though has gone way down hill with a few pimply antagonists. You can ignore the users by blocking their posts, but others quote them in replies making my brain hurt.

I remember back when slashdot was approaching the activity level macrumors is at now. The controls, moderation, and effective threaded discussions really kept visible content where it needed to be.

21. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

There is selective moderation, I got a warning today for calling someone a idiot......I'm sure if the mods read the entire thread they would have agreed with my comment

22. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

Think I'll start my own forums and have a over 21 policy to join

23. Pared macrumors 65816

The mods help at times... unfortunately it seems like you have to report things over... and over... and over... :cool:

But the request of more moderation isn't a bad thing, especially when you consider how bad this forum has become compared to how it was just a year ago.

24. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Thanks for all the replies. Im not out to antagonise anyone so I wont be replying to anything that seems directly personal to me.

But check out the link that I have quoted from esadb above. Does that seem like a genuine topic to anyone here? In fact the poster of that topic has replied early on in this thread too. With irrelevant drivel no less.

Topics like these day in day out are not apple owners who are aggrevated at problems with their new device. They are purely fake posts. Nothing more nothing less.

25. Pared macrumors 65816

This thread would actually do better in Site suggestions. Not sure if you'd get a response there either, though.