A letter to the United States of America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 5, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Today, we have finally lived up to our ideals after 8 years of dark times. Today, we have shown Al Qaeda and the Taliban that they cannot ever defeat us. Today, we have finally proven to the world that indeed, we are the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave. Today, I am more proud of the USA than ever. We have truly now proven to the world that we will not ever give up, we will not ever be destroyed, and we will never let anyone take our freedoms from us.

Today, we elected the first mixed-race person as President. That has to sting for Al Qaeda and the Taliban. They tried, and they lost. And we'll be coming for them very soon. Finally, after 8 long years of stupidity.

The only disappointment was Proposition 8 in California. But you know what? We'll eventually get rid of that too. It's just a matter of time. Baby steps.

Thank you everyone. My faith in the USA is mostly restored. Once we get rid of Prop 8, it will be completely restored.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm so happy I can't help it.

2. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I had some faith in America restored today. Along with gay rights, we have to resolve our issues in Iraq, the economy, and the way our country has become far less safe with the huge, inefficient homeland security system. We need Nancy Pelosi to say what she really believes and stand up and be a strong Speaker of the House like both Democrat Tip O'Neill and Newt Gringrich, from the other side of the aisle were. A very strong Secretary of State will have to heal a tremendous amount of damage done by the Bush Administration. And finally, both parties need to heal this country, roll up their sleeves, and get to work. Only then will I feel mostly restored in America. My faith in this country was shattered at this same time in 2004 and I felt like a foreigner in my own country, a country I served as a civil servant, one where my dad served as a civil servant and as a World War II veteran. But today, I feel like an American today, but with a huge task at hand. Sorry if this sounds like a weak movie review, but God bless the USA.

3. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Cheers to the future of this great nation and the immeasurable power of redemption, common cause, and shared prosperity.

~ CB

4. 66217 Guest

What is Proposition 8?

BTW, the images seen yesterday were indeed history. Two families, one black and one white, sharing the presidency of the White House do show how great Americans can be.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Sorry just had to. :)

While I agree that this is a great moment in American history some of these claims are a bit far stretched. I wish American every good luck in reforming as we have all seen what can and has happened. It is a long long road to recovery but as they say the first step is acknowledging the problem and you have just done that.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I understand that he's happy, and I can certainly understand why he's happy. That's it though.

I don't understand what Lee's 1st paragraph has to do with today's election victory for Obama, or how going after Al Qaeda very soon represents any change at all. It's necessary, but you've been going at it since the 11/9 attacks.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I agree.
    The euphoria is understandable… but all this talk of going after Al Qaeda and the Taliban just sounds a lot like Bush
    :(

Great day though!
    I'm off to bake a cake to celebrate!
    :D:D

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No, we haven't been going after Al Qaeda at all. We've been fighting daddy Bush's war for oil in Iraq. Now, I believe we'll get back to business in Afghanistan and the Pakistani border, where we should have been all along, and where Obama has said he will take the war.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Cue up the patriotic music and pass me a tissue, I've got a tear in the corner of my eye.:rolleyes:

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

http://upc.*************/uploads/macros/kleenex.jpg

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well my faith in America never waivered.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Mine did. Especially when Bush got elected twice.

13. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I think America's reputation in Europe has improved exponentially by electing Obama.

Well Done.

14. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

It certainly tested mine

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm glad that you have such optimism Lee, because I've lost all of mine with 8's passage.

Even an Obama win isn't making me feel better right now, because he's only one person; over 5 million voted against equality in California.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I know. It sucks. As I told you in the other thread- never underestimate how much we are hated and feared. I can guarantee you that some people who told you to your face they would vote against it, didn't.

This is a stumbling block, Calboy. We will get through it. Keep your head up. The bigots can't win forever.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Last night we celebrated. I was in night school, at law school and they gave us an extra five minutes for our break. :) We are all liberals in this profession and even the republicans can be mistaken for liberals by the neo-cons. :)

Yes, everybody, remember 9/11 and that Bin Laden went to Afghanistan, not Iraq. W didn't go after Iraq because W's family and Bin Laden's family have very close ties, as being on same board of Aramco, for instance. And yes, it's daddy's war with Cheney as go between in a weird father-son relationship. We all knew this way before the movie W, which I have not seen or will probably get on rental.

Things to do:

lower carbon emissions (#1)
    economy
    health care
    repair divided America
    and yes, get Al Qaeda, but where they really are, not Iraq or Iran

If it takes us having to negotiate with Al Qaeda, then so be it, but we have to stop the source of why they hate us. Nobody hates for no reason. If there is something we are doing around the world that justifies their hatred for us, then we should fix that. If they are criminals, without privilege of real or imagined military cause, and all they want to do is inflict damage on us, then we will take them to justice by all means necessary, armed forces and all law enforcement entities.

Obama will be our President, but remember, he will be the Commander in Chief of the armed forces. It's a huge responsibility and I am glad it's him instead of the GOP. As for W and his daddy, they used the army (and all other armed forces) as their private oil gathering service and friends of mine had to serve in Iraq, and one I know sustained injuries, but for what? The army's job is to fight enemies of the USA, born foreign and domestic (as does special forces units at times), not help sustain the interests of the Bushes and Cheneys (or else I missed that part in the Constitution, Bill or Rights, or subsequent amendments, bills, propositions, measures, MPC, or 2nd/3rd restatements of the law) :)

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Very well said. Thanks.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

likewise

so you get like the system when it works in your favor but lose faith when it doesnt?

comeon lee lol

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Very well said, Lee. :)

I am extremely proud of America, we truly made history last night!

I also agree with your sentiments on Prop 8; as a Californian, I am extremely ashamed that we changed our constitution to impose such barbaric bigotry. However, in no way is this issue finalized; there are already legal plans to challenge the amendment, and at the very least, it's only a matter of time before the voters realize their extreme error.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I lost faith in the intelligence of the public, not the system.

22. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You know, I've grown up in California, left for nine years, but have been back for the last three. It's a funny place because you tend to spend all your time in the coastal regions. It's not until you spend time in places like Barstow, or the towns in the Central Valley along the 5, that you realize there *are* a good amount of knuckle dragging dipsh*ts in this state.

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Thank you, and I just outed myself as a peacenick who realizes that we need an army and police, thus I guess I am not a peacenick according to some. But I put my money where my mouth is. I voted Green Party for President/Vice President. My candidate lost and didn't even get 1 EV, in Nebraska or Maine, where that can legally happen as a probability, and not a possibility only, so any McCain people have nothing to complain about. :)

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

When I got in from work this evening, I was about to post a thread entitled "Congratulations USA", but Lee you have said it all for me. Well done. A fantastic, inspirational result.

I have posted before asking whether people in the US knew the extent to which GWB was/is loathed, despised and reviled across the globe. Now, I must ask whether you - and President-Elect Obama - realise the depth of hope, the boundless goodwill, the desperate desire for change, integrity, idealism, courage and co-operative leadership that the rest of the world wishes for now, and the weight of this burden on your new, inspirational and extraordinarily impressive President-Elect. Well done and good luck to you all.

Cheers and the very best of luck

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't see what has changed there in the past 50 years. People vote the party not the facts. It is nothing new and it will never change unless we can get real independent voices elected.

I have said it before, voters are ignorant to what they see on TV.

The majority of voters are stupid, they vote for flashy ads and propaganda not the real issues.