A lil painful story of how I got my subsidized 6 Plus unlocked from AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mdlooker, Oct 11, 2014.

1. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Let me be the first to say that I should have put 2 and 2 together but I certainly expected Apple's Tech Support to lead me in the right direction.

I bought my phone on 21 September with the subsidized price which rendered the phone locked to the carrier for the length of the 2yr contract. I wasn't too concerned as I've been with AT&T since 2005 so no plans on really leaving. I am military so I'm aware that I have a few low-key perks available to me.

I initially requested to have my phone unlocked through military reasons on Tuesday, 23 September. Everything was going ok as the AT&T rep told me that it would be 72hrs for the process to complete. By that Friday, I was told that it was denied. I called and come to find that the request couldn't be submitted in the remorse return period of 14 days and I had to wait until that ended. I waited and re-requested.

After the request went through, within 24hrs, I got an email stating congrats, my request to unlock my phone was approved. All I had to do was back up my iPhone and "restore" through iTunes then it would be unlocked. Well I remembered from my IP5 that there is supposed to be a message that comes through iTunes when the device is successfully unlocked. I backed up and restored from backup and nothing... no message saying my phone was unlocked.:confused: That seemed really peculiar to me so I called Apple Tech Spt and they confirmed that it was till locked to the carrier. They asked to share my computer screen with them so I obliged. They used their "red arrow" to show me the steps to get my phone to where it needed to be. They did the same as me...pointed to "restore backup...” :eek: After they saw that the phone was still locked, they wanted to elevate the case but first called AT&T to see what the issue was. AT&T told them that it was unlocked and the phone just needed to be restored. Apple told me to restore again. Just as I was about to do the restore from backup again, this time I decided, "restore iPhone" as this will go to the Apple server and get any update... :D duh!!!

Once I did that... well what-da-ya-kno... there it was, "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked."

So yes I know I know, I should have picked up on that but I never spend time on iTunes but what's more weird is that I went through two chat reps and two phone reps with Apple, going back and forth, so surely they should have picked up on that within the first 15 seconds.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Oof! Glad you got it worked out but that sounds pretty annoying to have to deal with. I'm not used to doing and kind of confused so was just wondering for clarification: was it just the fact that you needed to update? or restore (not from backup)?

Thank you for protecting our freedom :)

3. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Thanks and you're very welcome. I needed to restore through the Apple servers and not from my backup for that's a local process. They had the code in the my next restore; I just had to go get it.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The secret is to restore as new. Glad you figured it out. :cool:

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Honestly the restore isn't needed at all unless you really want to see the congratulations message. Nowadays the iPhones will pull a new activation ticket if the SIM requires one

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    There's no such thing as an unlock code for an iPhone or a restore and setup as new needed.
    If you Judy stick another carriers sim and connect to wifi and activate you would accomplish the same with way less hassle.

7. mdlooker, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

See I never knew that either. So what's the reason Apple saw that my IMEI was still locked prior to restoring?

8. kwando macrumors member

I have 5 lines on my plan. I'll move my 6 plus to a line that is eligible for upgrade and request an unlock. They know that the 6 plus has not been out for 2 years but since it's on a contract free line do you think they will unlock it?

9. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I don't think Apple will as if it's locked to a carrier, they're going to need to get the request from the carrier to unlock it. As far as the carrier, I would definitely give an unlock request a try.

10. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

So they did not ask for proof of orders or anything?

11. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

They were telling me to wait 7 days to allow for the request to come through. So I asked should I wait if the instructions were telling me to immediately restore and it would be unlocked? I gave them a screen shot of my approval email and the device unlock status screen explaining the steps to go through in order to restore to unlock.

12. Zxxv macrumors 68040

13. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

14. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I meant to prove you're in the military and going overseas.

15. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I had to email my orders.