A little disappointed I didn't buy a MBP, but will I be alright?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryuukumori, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

So as a college student now, a notebook is inevitable. I had limited funds as a grad present and had to go with an HP dv3t 13" notebook. Now looking back, I enjoy using this notebook, but I wish I could have gone with a MBP. I wanted similar specs with this notebook (2.4 ghz, 4 GB RAM, a 500 GB Hard Drive, and a dedicated video card). Just the MBP was priced $400 higher than this. Even that I'm not getting close to these specs. But thinking now, I don't really care. I just wanted to try OSX and feel the new difference in a computer, and look past the price point.

Now that I'm stuck with a PC for I don't know how long, how long should I wait to upgrade? I will buy a MacBook Pro sometime in the future, but I don't want to make a bad choice and upgrade too early. What should I do? Do typical college students with PCs end up replacing them more often than Mac users? I just wished I got a MacBook Pro instead of this HP, but this notebook isn't all that bad. OSX would be awesome to get used to...

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I have an idea. Sell the PC for a high price on craigslist, and then buy the MBP. :)

3. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

It's been used since June 22, 2009. How much can I get outta it?

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You could always return your HP or sell it and buy a refurb Macbook Pro from Apple's online store. You can get great savings with a refurb.

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

You mean you disagree with those Windows Shopping Ads lol...Glad to hear someone who uses PC want to go after a mac. Too bad you didn't decide to go with MBP earlier, but dont worry you will have another chance.

7. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think I can return it for a refund, it's been beyond 21 days (which is still more than Apple... haha). I asked that in a previous thread.

As far as refurbs, my family is always pro-new. I wouldn't mind a refurb, though. I'll consider it. But I like the iPod, edu discount idea, and I'd be able to justify more of a price for new.

8. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, I disagree with the ads, purely because they go out and buy from retail stores! I hate buying computers from retail stores, period. lol Gotta go online FTW! Plus those people are biased.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That computer is still new! Sell it for as much as you can convince people to buy it for. Put an ad on craigslist with a high price, and see if anyone bites. If not lower the price, and so on... :)

10. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, how about $1300? So I'd make $200 more.

11. poematik14 macrumors member

Yes, Yes, Yes. I ordered my first mac today, a 15" late 08 MBP unibody 2.4 refurb for 1400.

Im so pumped for it to come in the mail

12. oregon2 macrumors regular

Sounds like you really want a Mac, but have made yourself happy with the PC. Good idea.

As for getting a Mac in the future, I wouldn't even plan on it. You have bought a computer, so now plan on using it. It should last you quite a long time, and will serve all your needs. A computer is not even a necessity in college, let alone a high end laptop. When you have the money, get one, by all means, but do not get stuck idolizing a Mac. It looks cool and has a few "convenient" features, but there is no significant advantage (but there are disadvantages).

13. oregon2 macrumors regular

Seriously??? Every one, EVERY single one of my friends, wants a Mac as their college laptop, but many of them will not get it. The reason: money.

I'm pretty sure this is the case 90% of the time. Mac's are definitely more desirable, but it is undeniable that you pay a major premium and it is not worth it for most.

14. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes sense. I'm not jumping the gun at all this week about thinking of putting a price yet on Craigslist, or calling HP for the matter. I still love Windows, for its comfortable feel I have gotten used to. HP has been reliable for me too. OSX would just be something new to try.

When I have my own career, this is what I plan:
    Notebook- Mac
    Desktop- Custom Build PC

Easy as that. :)

15. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Jeez...way to ruin his hopes. Just because you evidently like PCs doesn't mean everyone does.

16. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

True THAT! It's what I felt, 100% of it.

17. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I like both... haha

Opinions from the entire spectrum are welcome, at least in my eyes... :D

18. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Are you like trying to evoke negative reactions by throwing in there that macs are not worth it in every comment? They call that a joke, meant for laughing not criticism. I'm not making a profound statement that macs are almighty.

19. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I have to say though to comment on your comment here, that you both are right. Criticism is harsh, but can always be constructive. It's what I see for the matter.

Secondly, on the other's opinion of 90% his friends can't afford Macs because of price, it's realistically correct. You pay a premium. I agree, it's what I did.

20. oregon2 macrumors regular

Yeah, I've always loved my custom build PC for many reasons, but my brother has been working at the Apple Store for a few years (salesman), and of course he convinced my parents that they should get me a Mac for college. I'm definitely one of the lucky few in that I got what I wanted without having to even consider whether or not it was worth it.

@upinflames: I wasn't trying to say Mac's are not worth it, I was trying to point out that they are more expensive, and for many (not all), the additional expense cannot be justified. My close friend really wanted a Mac, but he is probably going to go with a comparable PC laptop for a few hundred cheaper (than the refurb models). He is not even poor. His parents have put up $1000 for a college laptop, and he wants a machine at least comparable to a 15" MBP. He could very easily put up the $349 and get the refurb, and he does have the money, but he simply wants to spend that money on other things.

21. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the convincing side is a good strategy. I'm more unlucky cause I have a bro going to college too, and he chose HP, so I had to measure up to him... Oh well, maybe with some independence later, I'll get my own pick. :)

22. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I think a lot of people have buyers remorse. When I got my Mac Mini, I loved it. After reading these forums, I kept thinking to myself, "Why didn't I get the 2.26GHz Mac Mini," "Why didn't I just get an iMac," and "Why didn't I get a Macbook Pro." Reading the Macrumors forums made feel like I had a slow computer because of many people purchasing faster computers than me. I actually almost returned my Mac Mini but I kept it. Now I still love my Mac Mini and I will never sell it. I'm just happy I got a computer.

Its up to you if you want to sell your HP. If you absolutely want the Macbook Pro, then by no means get it.

23. oregon2 macrumors regular

Yeah, reading forums about people buying stuff all the time acn really make you want to buy more also. It's not really a good thing since most of this stuff is completely non-necessity luxury items. I definitely had the urges to upgrade my PC all the time when I used to post alot on another computer forum, but I fought it and only upgraded one small part :)

24. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I've decided to keep my HP until it begins to bog down, then I'm not hesitating whatsoever and getting a Mac notebook! I hope by then USB 3.0 will be common, since that is something I think many people are looking forward to. Plus, SSD drives will become much more cost-effective, and quite possibly standard in the notebook lines 2 years down the road.

As a self-assuring thought, having a PC for the first few years is a smart move. I can really test how this thing can handle the elements of everyday use in a busy environment. It's like getting driving experience with a cheap car from Craigslist, then with more time behind the wheel, buying a newer car can be safer.

25. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I got a notebook pc back when I started college, and was happy and served well by it. However, I knew about half way through college that I wanted to switch to mac. Wasn't really a big deal, bought one after I graduated and I'm happy.

get used to seeing tons of people on campus with macs though.