A little early for new battery on 2018 macbook pro but...

SuddenlyStalin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Im wondering if anyone here has thoughts on what battery repacements on the 2018 13” macbook pro will be like?

I see here in Canada their price for macbook pro battery replacement is about $170 and I think with some models you get a new top case, track pad and maybe even keyboard with that.

If this is true more or less for the 2018 models I wonder if applecare is worth it. I know it covers other stuff but if you could just throw $170 at them and get the whole top end replaced including the possibly still troublesome keyboard, it might be best to just take my chances.

Thoughts?

FlushedNotRushed

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
I think with the 2016-2018 generation Macbook Pros, AppleCare+ is almost essential and 100% worth it. If your screen goes bad, it will be free instead of having to pay a potential ~$500 replacement bill.

I didn't buy AppleCare+ for my 2015 13". I made sure to buy AppleCare+ for my 2018 after reading a bunch of threads prior to purchasing.

Reactions: SuddenlyStalin

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I'd say Applecare+ should be highly recommended for a 2018 MBP. Since the 2016 & 2017 have an extended keyboard program now, it's less critical for those models, but due to all the issues and debate about whether or not things are 100% rectified in the 2018 model, it's a good idea. Also since everything has to go for a battery replacement i.e. the top case, any kind of repair can get really expensive.

Even if you're outside of your extended AppleCare warranty, in my experience geniuses are more generous to folks who have an expired plan vs folks who never had an extended plan in the first place.

SuddenlyStalin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Thanks for your thoughts Trey and FlushedNotRushed.

I was also wondering about whether or not the applecare people got unofficially treated a bit better after their coverage had expired.

Ive noticed that for both the MB Pros and my Ipad Air2, the "battery replacement" is a pretty good deal when you consider the other stuff Apple has to throw in owing to their policy of gluing everything together.

I guess the trick is to blow into the store a month before they stop servicing your model and get that replacement battery.

I was pretty committed to getting AppleCare anyway (gonna pull the trigger on a applestore refurb 2018 next week - just waiting in case maybe they offer a gift card or something on BF or Cyber Monday for refurbs).

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Thanks for your thoughts Trey and FlushedNotRushed.

I was also wondering about whether or not the applecare people got unofficially treated a bit better after their coverage had expired.

Ive noticed that for both the MB Pros and my Ipad Air2, the "battery replacement" is a pretty good deal when you consider the other stuff Apple has to throw in owing to their policy of gluing everything together.

I guess the trick is to blow into the store a month before they stop servicing your model and get that replacement battery.

I was pretty committed to getting AppleCare anyway (gonna pull the trigger on a applestore refurb 2018 next week - just waiting in case maybe they offer a gift card or something on BF or Cyber Monday for refurbs).
Yeah better safe than sorry. I was going to mention - you can probably get a MBP from a 3rd party seller i.e. Adorama and get it cheaper than an Apple refurb. But, just like Geniuses treat expired AppleCare customers better, they also tend to treat you better if the machine was purchased direct from Apple. Up to you as the tax savings by buying from Adorama or MacMall May make it significantly cheaper the refurb route.

You can always purchase AppleCare+ within 30 or 60 days (can’t remember) regardless of retailer. They may even sell AppleCare+ from 3rd parties now, not 100% on that.

Last edited: