A little pissed and a little sad update page 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reelknead1, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I purchased a 2.4ghz Mbp off eBay and got it today. Coming from a PowerBook I was looking forward to the great power of my new computer. I bought this mbp knowing that it had a faulty keyboard and a bad SuperDrive and it was just out of warranty. So I got it today and opened it up to switch out the harddrive and on the underside of the top case I was surprised with a good amount of a sticky liquid substance all over the place. The computer also has a loud beep which is an with the mobo. The seller doesn't want to deal with it so I filed a complaint with paypal and hopefully they will resolve the issue. It really sucks though because I need a new computer for my last year of college and most of my money is wrapped up in this mess.

Update page 2

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope everything works out for you.

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

For future purchases, there's a good chance when the keyboard is dead or wonky, that it belies liquid damage. Luckily for you, eBay/Paypal nearly 100% sides with the buyer in disputes, so you'll likely get your money back.

If you're looking to save, I'd buy Apple refurbished, or locally and have it checked out by Apple.

4. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

5. wyre macrumors newbie

sorry to hear this and hope you manage to get the sale reversed. After PayPal resolution kicks in, I hope you make sure to give the seller the kind of rating he/she deserves so that others don't have to deal with the same kind of issues. The only way ebay will work is if people are up front about what they are selling. That seller is bad news.

Agree about the apple refurb suggestion-- theirs are much less risky since you have the benefit of a warranty and expert service. Things can still go wrong, but in my experience the apple refurbs are not just repacked, they're often 'like new'. ANd in case they're not, you're covered.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Sorry to hear that, hope they solve the problem quick...

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Man that sucks. Paypal should be able to work it out for you, nobody spills something on their laptop and doesn't know about it.

8. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Paypal went in the other guys favor. I cant believe they went so quickly. That's ridiculous

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

call credit card company and reverse payment.
    (no joke i did and it paypal was pissed saying its against TOS....screw them)

screw paypal.

10. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Call your card provider and reverse the payment. That's all you can do, now. You tried to go through paypal (which is terrible for customer service).

This is precisely why I no longer sell on eBay, and only buy small/cheap things from power sellers.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That sucks. Are you allowed to open another case up with Paypal.

Screw that, just reverse the order.

12. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

called my bank and they said that as long as i received the product then there is nothing they can do. Any suggestions?

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

14. heesey1010 macrumors member

I'd start maybe escalating through customer service and trying to see if you can talk to higher-ups in either customer service at PayPal or your bank...I'm sure you have everything documented so be ready to send pictures and such and include documentation of communication with the seller and his refusal to do anything about it.

Best of luck

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

16. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

You actually got the answer you wanted. You did NOT receive the product you paid for. So, demand they reverse the fraudulent charge. (I'd avoid mentioning that you'd been rebuffed by PayPal, btw.)

Good luck.

17. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

$420 The listing stated that it was a working computer with a faulty keyboard and superdrive and it was a 2.4 santa rosa mbp.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

File another complaint with paypal and shove the computer up their ***

You could always try to open it up piece by piece and clean out the sticky substance and buy a new keyboard

19. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did open it and I'm actually apple cert for hardware. The issue is that the computer doesn't turn on anymore. The liquid has now fried the mobo and powerboard.

20. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

Sounds to me like a non working computer which isn't what the auction described. Tell your bank that you never got a working computer as advertised. It sounds like you had Paypal linked directly to your checking account. It should always be linked to a CC so that you have them to back you up. The bank doesn't really care if you get your money back or not where as the CC company doesn't want to lose a customer that they're trying to earn interest from. I personally only use AmEx due to their incredible customer support, especially in situations like this. Paypal never wants to open a second case unless there is some overlooked aspect or there are other people with the same experience.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Try to get it all sorted out. Otherwise you might have to sell it on ebay and take a loss

22. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like that's what's going to happen. I will at least disclose everything in the listing unlike the previous seller.

23. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm jus going to purchase a new 15 2.4 ghz hires tomorrow from the apple store. It's lot of money but through financing it's not to bad and at least all be the only owner. Lesson learned I guess. It sucks though because I had such good luck with eBay in the past.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You'll enjoy your Mac. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I hope you get a good deal on selling it.