Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Many people who have had their aluminum PowerBooks for any decent period of time have complained of corrosion on the palm rest areas caused by sweat and the like breaking down or oxidizing the aluminum finish, myself included. Getting fed up with watching the condition worsen I decided that what I needed to do was simply somehow protect the area from my poison, sweaty hands. But how? Not in the mood for spending any money on some third-party felt or leather solution. I don't type well with boxing gloves on. Don't want to start applying paint to the machine. Hmm...what to do? Then it hit me, my Apple stickers! As we all know, every new Mac comes with two Apple logo decals in the box. Slap one on the left, one on the right. Good to go. Maybe obvious and not the most elegant, but it's cheap and it works. And it does look better than the "My Other Computer Is a Dual G5" bumper sticker plastered across the top of your book. :)

jasylonian

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
sacramento
or you could always wash your hands with soap every 30 minutes or so (and dry them well)... of course this doesn't help if your palm rest gets really hot and makes your hands really sweaty, or if you're sitting next to a really swell person...:D

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
nice idea.... but wouldn't the heat from your hands/palms do some funky stuff to the adhesive used on the stickers? i can just imagine the sticker slipping off leaving a sticky goo on the palm rest area... :eek:

luckily i've never had that problem. my palms don't even touch the proper 'palm rest' area... my hands just always seem to float as i type... :D

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
No problems here either, my hands also tend to 'float' more often than not when typing.

Regarding lectures - Britain is so behind the times! People would think I'm mad if I took my PowerBook to lectures to take notes on!

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
No problems here either, my hands also tend to 'float' more often than not when typing.

Regarding lectures - Britain is so behind the times! People would think I'm mad if I took my PowerBook to lectures to take notes on!

i don't think it's the typing so much as the mousing that killed my machine since it's more concentrated on that one side. anyway, regarding Britain; i've always been under the impression that you guys were sort of living the Jetsons life over there. anytime i see some cool new technology being displayed or some weird futuristic bubble car it always seems to be in Britain.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by tjwett
anyway, regarding Britain; i've always been under the impression that you guys were sort of living the Jetsons life over there. anytime i see some cool new technology being displayed or some weird futuristic bubble car it always seems to be in Britain.
I think you're confusing us with the Flintstones :D

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Would this be a bad time to comment on computer use and sweaty hands? ;)

Probably. :)

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
I really dont like the sound of it. I went to the forum at Apple.com, only to find out that MANY are suffering from this issue.
I am begining to regret selling my old and trustful tibook 500.... :(
First it was the white spots issue, then its been the latch that dosent work weel, and now this..

While the color chiped from few places (esp. due to my watch band) , it still looked rather great after 2.5 years. People here are complaining about holes!!! after 5-8 months of usage. What I don't get is why Apple dosent acknowladge the problem and come up with some sort of a solution. People who paid $$$$$ for thier computer, and suffer from this issue, seem to take it rather lightly.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
easy solution. . . get an external keyboard/ mouse when you know youre going to be typing for prolonged times. i keep mine almost 'docked' at home with external keyboard, mouse, and monitor, then i take my lap top to class for notes or to work on group projects. I have also found that a damp paper towel cleans off the keys and hand rest really well after the nice cheetos snack during a group project.

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
Listen to yourself!! this is why we bought a "top-of-the-line" portable machine for 3000$ so that we will be forced to use an external keyboard? Its one thing when you use external keyboard out of comfort, it is totally different when you are forced to use one in order to avoid holes in the case.

The last thing I need to hear about is putting some plastic tape or leather crap in order to protect my laptop from, and I repeat, sweat!

Give me a break. If the thing is truly common as it seems right now, Apple needs to straight their act, and find a way to solve it.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
No seriously, I don't think of this being particularly funny.
I was thinking of giving my iBook to my Mum and getting me a 12" PB, but if the freaking palmrests corrode on a $ 2000 product, it would freak me out. And I don't feel like sending it in every 5 months or so.
I love Apple, but I HATE them for not acknowledging quality issues. Damn you Apple for that.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Yeah, I'm considering selling mine before it gets too bad and buying myself a G4 iBook. I can deal with 67 mhz less of power.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Does anyone know whether this happens only to rev As or to the rev Bs too? If they cannot cope with this problem we might yet see another material being used for the pb. Though this would be kinda funny going through a new material every time, it is pretty sad, you would think they'd be able to figure such stuff out beforehand :mad:

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
While not reducing the problem, I would also like to know if rev B (the AIbook without the white spot problems) are free from this issue. This will mean that Apple realized the problem with the previous line, and did something to fix it.

If this is true, it makes sense that they will be able to fix those with Rev A that still suffer from it. If this is not the case, Apple should receive a spam for ignoring this absord problem. People also did not mention the health issue at hand. The chemical reaction that affects the pbook case, might also affect your skin.

I don't find this issue funney at all. It is not less concerning than the white spot issue.

pudrik

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Milton, FL
Don't think this is a quality issue

I think this is just one of those "lessons learned." I don't expect the design guys were aware how easily aluminum can corrode. I don't hold it against them too much, since this is the first time, as far as I know, that aluminum has been used as a laptop case material.

In the rest of the world, you protect aluminum from corrosion by painting it, coating it, or using a corrosion inhibitor of some kind (like WD-40). Unless you are willing to take these steps, or use another material between your palms and the laptop, you're SOL.

Hopefully, Apple has recognized the problem, and will incorporate palms rests made of some kind of plastic (like the iBook). Maybe the G5 Powerbook will be made of stainless steel?

Personally, although it doesn't look as sharp, I prefer the polycarbonate plastic of the iBooks... it's light-weight, durable, and conceals scratches better.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by tjwett
Yeah, I'm considering selling mine before it gets too bad and buying myself a G4 iBook. I can deal with 67 mhz less of power.

You should not sell Your Powerbook, just give it to Spock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.