Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edwardz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Considering this is an official update of the iPhone (capacity twice as large), that means it will be summer at the least until we see 3G connectivity in the iPhone. It rather upsets me, and I know I can talk for many that are waiting for 3G connectivity. I would have rather Apple not upgraded to 16 gb and let us wait until summer to see a full upgrade of 16 gb and 3G connectivity all together.
In your opinion, what time-frame would be appropriate to say 3G will be stock on the iPhone? I know there are numberless threads about this; but, it seems that Apple doubling the capacity will strike many more controversies and debates about 3G announcements. I would love to hear some opinions in regard to this.

Thanks.

rammy

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
Hi Edwardz,

3G isn't currently on the iPhone due to power requirements, the new less power intensive 3G chip that Apple want to use hasn't been ratified yet, once it has I'm sure the 3G iPhone will be released.

If you live in the UK (I can't vouch for anywhere else), EDGE honestly isn't that bad!

Bite the bullet, you know you want to :) After all, when the 3G model is released you can gaurentee that it's going to be even more expenive than the 16GB iPhone, so why not upgrade when the time does FINALLY come!

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
Unless they put video conferencing on the 3g iPhone, 3G isn't the magic fix to the iPhone that people are clamoring for. Big deal if you can't stream videos quick enough over EDGE. Load some movies into your iPhone. EDGE is somewhat adequate for surfing. What Apple really needs to do is fix the damn browser so it doesn't crash all the time. What good is 3G if your browser always crashes? With 3G, it's just going to crash quicker and more often since you're more inclined to do more surfing with 3G.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Had Apple reduced the price of the 8GB iPhone and brought the 16 in at the current price - then people may have had some reason to be upset (though anyone who has watched Apple for a couple of years knows they always toss in a few iPod updates in the new year after all the suckers... errr. customers bought the old version as gifts over the holiday season - so the best time to buy is around March/April or hang on for the September updates). Rule No. 1. Never buy Apple products for Christmas :D

All along Apple have been saying that a 3G iPhone is quite a ways off - the buzz was late 2008 as I recall. This I knew when I bought my iPhone. With an 18 month contract to run, i figure that by that point a 3G Phone will probably have been launched and had time to bed in. I only have to decide do I buy it, or wait two or three months for the next iPod/iPhone update (perhaps a 32GB version :) ).

By the looks of things, Apple have just got their hands on new higher density flash memory. That new stuff is still expensive, so they are offering it at a premium while making a nice little killing on the lower memory sized devices (either they are putting in half the memory modules, or still using the old lower density ones - either way that cuts their component costs and bumps up margins for them).

Only thing I have to wonder about - all this extra memory - hopefully this is not a sign that the products of the SDK are going to need it... Though I guess I can slim down my music selection and a few video podcasts if I really need the space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.