A look back to a year ago and all the naysayers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiderman0616, Jul 30, 2012.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

So much doom and gloom about the new iPhone on these boards. It's pretty irritating. But it's all part of the upgrade cycle, and it's exactly why Apple doesn't do focus groups. It's the old joke that a camel is an example of something designed by committee. I'm not sure what else people want Apple to do with a rectangular brick of metal and plastic, but the new design and form factor are what they are. Say what you want about Steve Jobs being gone, or Jony Ives losing his touch. Plenty of people in the media will. But this happened with the 4S too. And the 4. How did those models work out for Apple.

And to put it in perspective, here are some links from last year:

http://articles.marketwatch.com/201...18_1_new-iphone-apple-executives-gsm-and-cdma

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/124198-why-iphone-4s-failed-excite.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/android-iphone-market-share-2011-4

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/05/iphone-4s-disappointed_n_995095.html

You guys all clamoring for some radical design change--not many of you say what you actually want them to do. There is the argument about should they stretch the phone or keep the aspect ratio the same. Besides that, what do you want Apple to do?

If recent leaks are to be believed, they've gone thinner, bigger screen, a new back design, and probably an even nicer camera, not to mention whatever the internal improvements are. I'm expecting LTE, NFC, quad core (or at least an A5X). These are all things people seem to think they want. Just like how everyone wanted a retina display iPad. Yet the second it's released, it's "boring".

I'm referring to Apple, Google, and everyone else when I say that the tech industry is not going to be revolutionary every 6 months or even every year. Someone is going to get a great idea at some point about a different way to use cellular technology.....maybe Google Glass is the next step, or at least a precursor to the next big thing, maybe it's not.

So, in short, if you're in the market for a new iPhone, get the new one. If not, don't. But I just don't understand what some of you are expecting.

2. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Well said.

I think Bulls--t Insider is my new favorite website. Not.

-t

3. britneyfan macrumors 6502

Either keep the screen the same and thin the phone up, or make it longer and wider or just wider. Having it just elongated is weird.

4. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

OP - Very well said. People keep saying they want something "new" or something "sexy", but they never say what they really want. I think they just want something "different". Seems rather superficial to me.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

not really since most people use the phone in portrait mode

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

Not really, it'll be a 16:9 screen. Pretty much every phone uses a 16:9 screen nowadays. It's "normal".

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I think 16:9 phones look okay when they are 4.5+ like the S2 and S3.

8. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

9. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

And that's a great looking mockup. It really is. I would love an iPhone that looked like that.

But it's still a rectangle of glass with rounded corners. People seem to want some fundamentally different form factor. The only way we're ever going to get that is if smartphones as we know them know die and we move on to some other type of device.

10. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I get what you are saying, but I am not one of the people demanding some drastic change or any change at all in the form factor. I just do not want the taller screen. I want the same aspect ratio with at least a 4.3" screen (Going back to some old rumors involving LG).

The design in the link is plenty of change for me to be REALLY happy, it would be a slick looking phone.

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

So what's so different about this mockup? Looks just like the phone we've had for 2 years. Scooting things around a bit and changing the look of the buttons does not make for a new sexy design. oooo, and it's thinner now!

12. lazard macrumors 65816

not really

13. TurnTronics macrumors member

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You watch youtube in portrait mode? Do you think you'll use turn by turn nav in portrait mode? How about texting? You do that in portrait mode?

15. lazard macrumors 65816

he only uses his iphone to make phone calls.

16. audix, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

audix macrumors regular

17. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I never type on my iPhone in Landscape... EVER...

I hate the landscape keyboard.

18. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Also, the taller phone will not help the landscape keyboard, it will only make it worse.

19. lazard macrumors 65816

at least we both agree that the "leaked" model sucks.

20. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I am not a big fan of the leaked design, but I am not a fan of the iPhone 4/4S design either. They have been the two best phones I've ever owned and I can't stand the form factor. I am more interested in specs and OS so I can look past it. The iPhone 4 looks like a parody of an Apple product. But it's an awesome phone, hands down better than most.

When they officially announce the new iPhone I will take a look at those specs and go from there. I already think the current model is hideous so if the leaks turn out to be true at least I have a jump start on getting used to owning an ugly phone.

21. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Yes we do... cuz it does suck.

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm one of those hoping for Apple to do a total redesign. As far as what I expect - I trust Apple in their vision. Unfortunately, I don't know where their focus and vision will be, so I don't waste the energy trying to figure it out or voicing what I know I probably won't get (as you say, they don't do focus groups). The only reason why I think it will be a redesign is because the 4/4S is different from the 3G/3GS, so why not the next iPhone. I figure whatever they do to redesign it will be the same design for next year. I'm just looking at their pattern.

23. lazard macrumors 65816

I thought the same too. The 3GS was just a stopgap to the iPhone 4. Doesn't look like it'll be the same with the 4S to the new iPhone.

24. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I just want to know now... I hate waiting.

25. redred macrumors member

Amen mate. All I've really wanted with a new iPhone is LTE and a 4" screen. The fact that it's going to be thinner and have a metal backing is a huge bonus.

95% of the time I can easily read text in portrait mode. For very text heavy sites like NY Times desktop page I can now simply flip it to landscape and take advantage of the new screen.

I promise you that once people handle this phone, most will change their tune and this forum will be very-pro new iPhone come late September. You will all see.