A lot of money coming my way soon, anything worth buying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NJPitcher, Jan 5, 2008.

1. NJPitcher macrumors regular

OK, so I have a CD maturing in about a month and it's already burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm wondering what accessories I should buy, I have:

iPhone 8gb, w/ clear screen protector film thing
    MBP c2d 2.33ghz, 3gb ram, not santa rosa so thats maxed there
    300gb external hd
    24" Westinghouse display
    JBL Creature speakers

Has anyone found real killer/fun accessories for anything that's worth buying? I know this is real open ended but I'm searching for any ideas, hah.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What is the CD's value?

As for what to do with it, I'm going to be the spoil sport here and suggest holding onto it for a while. At the very least wait until MacWorld is over; there might be something new that entices you.

Otherwise, do you have all the essentials? Backup storage, printer(s), etc? Sometimes something like that can be more fulfilling in the long run than a "fun" toy.

4. NJPitcher thread starter macrumors regular

Haha ok, very fast responses:

I have a printer/scanner/copier, the CD is about 5k (and doesnt mature until after macworld, so I'm clear there) but I'd like to go somewhere this summer for vacation, so I'm not spending all of it but some of it will no doubt be spent, and I thought the external hd was my backup storage?

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

A 30" ACD would go nicely with that MBP you already have.

6. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I, for one, suggest you buy another CD! Reinvest it FTW!

What I always thought was fun was CD laddering - Starting CDs at a time interval, or purchasing different maturing CDs so they would be maturing individually throughout the year (say quarterly). When each matured, I'd reinvest the original deposit in the same length CD and move the interest over to a lower-rate savings account.

I don't remember the rate then, but four $10k deposits were each accruing about $600 in interest annually. Sorta nice to have $600 thrown my way every 3 months.

Of course, then I was sucked into buying a house. ;)

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think you should hold off on any purchases and just keep the money for your vacation/reinvestment. Unless the rumored sub-notebook is something you really want/need, I don't think MacWorld is going to be all that great for most of us. Since you seem to have everything you need, I think it would be wiser to save your money.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I've got this great bridge for sale.....
    :eek:

How about a bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard? Some kick-ass iPhone headphones? A new flatscreen HDTV? Airport Extreme? AppleTV?

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well since your iPhone already has the "clear screen protector film thing" I think you're actually quite set. Reinvest it or buy me a hamburger, I have a weird craving for red meat today.

10. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Is a 300 gig external HD enough? I had a back up 120 and when I installed 10.5, I bought a 320 for Time Machine for my iMac and my MB. I partitioned it 160 each, and I'm shocked at how fast it's filling. External HD's are cheap now. In hindsight, I should have gone at least 500 or 750 gigs... What do you use your MBP for? I know I use my laser printer more than my inkjet now... I've got a epson stylus Print/Scan etc... that hasn't been used since Aug '06 when I got my Brother Laser HL 2070N... So maybe you could look at a laser printer, heck go crazy and get a color laser. Do you take pictures? A canon 40D would go awfully well with that MBP.

Anyways enjoy whatever you get.

Coachingguy

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Brooklyn Bridge. I can get you a very good price.

12. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Too late! I already bought it myself!

13. 4mula1 macrumors newbie

Are you running Leopard with this printer

I need a printer that works with Vista Boot Camp and Leopard. I cant get my HP1000 to work with either. Its quite old but still works great.