A lot of people swarming around the 21 inch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Acorn, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I went to the apple store and there was dozens of people swarming the 21 inch imac. I never really looked at the 21 inch imac because once i started adding stuff up the cost was a 27 inch anyway. However this doesnt appear to be stopping people from buying them because there was alot of people buying them. Alot more then I thought. I wasnt there that long and I watched 4 or 5 walk out in 6 or 7 minutes.

I have to admit the 21 did look cute next to the 27.

2. flavr, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Both the 21 and 27 are gorgeous computers...but once you go 27, going back to the 21 feels kinda small...

whats funny is I remember the day when a 19inch color TV was BIG!

3. warpdrive macrumors newbie

The 21 is plenty big if you're coming from a laptop!

We're getting a 21 because we are coming from an old Macbook that never really leaves the dining room table....so instead of getting another laptop, it makes sense to get a iMac for its lack of clutter and the fact that it's just more powerful.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

ditto...big day when we were first family on block to get color!

5. HunterMaximus macrumors member

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people prefer the smaller size of the 21". I suspect many get put in spots where there's not a lot of room to go around (think corner of a kitchen/dining room or family room), and aren't being used for things where the screen real estate makes a big difference. Not to mention the cost difference adds up fairly quickly.

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Agreed, I think a lot of people like the cost of the 21.5" better than the 27". That, plus most people don't think about needing to add RAM, and 8GB is sufficient for 80% of the public (just my estimate, I have no sources).

7. thedeske macrumors 6502a

The 21 is the best bang for buck in the lineup. I have a 27, but work on 21s all the time. Easy to adjust to it's size.

8. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Funny, I was in a store and went over to see how the 21 and 27 looked together. The 21 looked tiny in comparison. But, on the other hand, the 27 looked huge and confirmed my suspicion that it would have really taken over the desk instead of sharing it nicely with the rest of my kit.

9. Ivabign macrumors 6502

I love my 21" - my desk is not large enough for a 27" I wanted the 27", but I bought the May 2011 2.5 Quad i5 model for $800 on Craigslist with Applecare until 2014 - I couldn't pass it up. I upgraded to 8gb and never looked back.

10. Shane1905 macrumors regular

When I was looking to get the new iMac I decided the 27" was far to big for my desk... So I bought a bigger desk and never looked back ;)

11. Ivabign macrumors 6502

LOL - I couldn't fit a bigger desk into the room - and 27" is not enough of an incentive to get a bigger house!

12. Shane1905 macrumors regular

HAHA! I think i'd draw the line at a bigger house too. Have you tried a smaller family? I'm sure Apple take wives as part exchange these days so you may even get a good deal (wife dependant obviously, thats why mine still lives with me :rolleyes:)

13. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Sweet!! I remember being the last on the block (in town?) to get color!! We were also one of the last holdouts on a VCR, I had to do a high school government project in high school my senior year;) I'll never forget the 'special' night, once a month--Pizza Delivery and a trip down to the 'video store'! Rent a VCR and a couple 'tapes'! Man---time's have changed! And that was only 20 years ago (or 25....)

Most folks have zero use for a 27" screen...core i7 Super processor, the 680 and 32GB of RAM...etc, etc :)

For the everyday Joe and Jane, the base 21.5" is a phenomenal machine. Much faster than the high end original core batch of processors. (in those units). And a deal at the $1199 deal you can typically find them...with USB3 and TB, these are killer machines for MOST anyone!!! Including all of the newborn photographers, video production gurus and audio recording engineers!!! Even the PhotoShop Experts and Bedroom DJs---the baseline iMac is a sweet, SWEET machine...pop on another $300 for the 'extreme' 21.5" edition, honestly--truly from the heart---it would also satisfy the needs for 99% of our board users and posters...even those that actually 'game' and not run FPS benchmarks:)

Just a thought---based on a bit of experience. It's all we use...the baseline iMacs with 1tb of storage, we've got 2x2010 models and 2x2011 machines...they are our primary audio machines, we do almost 100 weddings a year, and they're the best!! Never (knock on wood) a failure and perfect for what we use them for (and do well in a mobile environment!!!)
    J

14. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I remember when I was saw the 27" iMac and I thought it was huge! I bought one anyway though :D

I went into a local electronics shop recently and wow, the 21.5" is tiny! And this is from someone who came from an iPad and 15" laptop.

Very very happy with the 27", couldn't use a 21.5" after becoming so used to this amazing screen!

15. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

I used to have a 21.5" 2010 model. Now I have the 2012 27" inch model and I don't regret it one bit. Now when I look at the 21.5" it looks so small. I actually think I could go for a little bigger than the 27"! Lol. Everything just looks so much better on the bigger screen.

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

27" would just be a monstrosity on my desk. I personally find the 21.5" to be perfect for my needs. I'm sure it fits the bill for the vast majority of other home users too.

17. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I use my 27 as a extra TV in my home office so 21 would be too small for me, the wife and kids have a 21 in the family room though :)

18. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

While I would love a 27", it's just too big for my desk. Also, the 21.5" is the better bang for the buck.

19. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I have two older 21" iMac's and when I go to the store the 21's look so so tiny next to the 27's. I want a new 27 bad but have no real need for it. Maybe someday once some bills are paid off.

20. Serban Suspended

i ordered max out imac 21.5" 3 weeks ago. But i don't understand why is that taking so long? i think my re seller shop is takes advantage of me. I mean really 3 weeks until now and counting

21. joeysarks macrumors regular

They should just make a 21 or 24 inch with the retina scaling feature:) Gets rid of the huge clutter of the 27 inch and you still get the real estate. Much more cost efficient for Apple too being able to appeal to 2 consumers with 1 product, unless people just want a gigantic screen.

22. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I really wish Apple still offered a 24" -- to me that is the perfect size. The 27" is just too darned big! If I were to buy a new iMac any time soon, I'd go for the 21.5" just because it's a more manageable size and easier on the eyes than the 27" would be for me. Desk space isn't an issue -- plenty of room on the desk. However, at one point in time I had a 30"ACD and a 23" ACD -- time after time i found myself gravitating to the machine connected to the 23" ACD because it just seemed far more comfortable for daily use than the larger 30" (which I had purchased for use in working with photographic images). Eventually I sold the 30" ACD. Still using and loving the 23" ACD which is connected to a Mac Mini. I'm still mulling over options as to what I'll be doing next, but I can pretty well guarantee that a 27" ACD or 27" iMac is not in my future!