A Mac allegory: dont buy a Ferrari if you drive at 20m/hour

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Politis, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Politis macrumors regular

I was at the Mac Store with my Pro 15 because it was making a scratchy noise. I started talking with another customer with same Pro 15. I explained what I used my computer for: almost always for word processing and internet, a little photography, even less video editing. He said, 'you bought yourself a Ferrari to drive at 20 miles an hour; it's nice to have a Ferrari if you have the money, but do you really need it?'. He was right damn it!
    He has his for 3D models of properties, pixel hungry plans.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Relatively few Mac users... or even PC users... really push the limits of their computer's potential. That doesn't mean it's inappropriate to own them. Most Ferrari owners I've known rarely test the limits of their cars. Most of them buy them as status symbols or to compensate for some insecurity or because they just like them, not because they intend to use all of the capabilities when they drive.

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

he's got a very valid point. Most people certainly don't need the best, fastest processors out there...thus, i can see apple using less than great processors in their computers and most users will still be happy with them.

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

It is Ferrari that needs to drive slow because they need to let the public see how beautiful the car is. It is those ugly cars that need to drive fast because they aren't as beautiful.

it all depends how you look at it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I always thought Ferraris are the ugly cars! I never liked how they looked, ran or handled. But that's just me. :D

6. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Where's the rest of the damn smilies when you need them.

7. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Macbook pros are medium line performers with ferrari casing. I'm a 3d designer and a can tell you that two core proccessors, medium line notebook graphic cards with only 512mb of video ram, and only 8gb of ram.. doesn't make me feel like I'm driving a ferrari. I feel more like I was driving a ferrari casing with a renault megane engine inside it.

Considering a macbook pro... as PRO is a little fallacious.

I think they are meant to be used more for 2d editing, text, a little of 3d rendering (forget rendering 3d animations, as you can get old rendering).. and so. The same as any other medium line laptop in the world can do.

Please, don't compare design with performance. Macbook pros are so beauty, easy of use, stable, etc, but when you render or when you open a high detailed 3d model the only things that matters in that moment are three: porccessor, graphics card, and ram memory. An these three things are a little crappy in every mac laptop.

Macbook Pros, are not pros at all, nor even ferraries, but they cost like they were, maybe because they look alike.

8. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

you DO have a point OP... even though this isn't an allegory at all :p

9. farmermac macrumors 6502a

as has been said, most people don't push their computer to the limit, PC or MAC. I have a mac because the every day things are a pleasure to do on it (back ups with time machine, good battery, solid case, good screen, etc). None of these require me to use the computer's power to the hilt in order for the mac to be worth it.

In fact, if screaming performance is all that matters to that guy, he should have got himself some souped up win7 workstation laptop.

10. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Look alike...cost...wait. Porsche. They are Porsches!! I'm ok with Porsches.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My personal choice for any speed addiction! :D Fortunately, I survived that stage of life!

12. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Porsches with volkswagen golf's engines ;) But, if you don't go faster than 60mph why to get a 400hp engine.

So we can consider macbook pros as porsches that are a pleasure to look and drive, but don't run at all. It is the best allegory i can do, so a title to this thread could be "buy a porsche with 100hp that costs like a real porsche if you want to go at 20m/hour but don't tell ti is a racing car"

13. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

OMG! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

14. Suanmiao macrumors member

most ferraris don't get pushed to their limits that often either, I guess the biggest benefit of owning any sport car is knowing that you have the extra horse power at your disposal when needed.
    I don't think a MBP is as superior or powerful as a ferrari though

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Porsches don't have VW engines.

16. ajdb9 macrumors member

From a performance standpoint, people would still buy Ferrari's because of acceleration - regardless of whether they'd use the top speed.
    Fair point?

17. dcmike macrumors member

Pedrofan wasn't saying Porsches have VW engines, S/he was saying MacBook Pros are like Porsches with WV engines.

18. Suanmiao macrumors member

you can't be serious, I saw a 458 italia parked down my building the other day, gosh it looked exquisit in person!

19. pedrofan macrumors 6502

+1

20. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

I'm going through it, I'm trying to move to the V8s and V10s but now they all come with flappy paddle ******** WTFs.

I will 10000000% take you up on that. You guy buy your most extreme Volkswagen engine and I will put chit in your mouth a Porsche engine.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you like 'em, that's great! I've never driven one I liked, and the styling isn't my preference, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Don't let my opinion stop you from liking them!

22. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Volkswagen beatle engine ;)

23. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

I love you. I have two of those.

24. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

They're not running though and when they do run they won't go fast.

Tekekeke.

25. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Lol at being a ferrari. More like a Volkswagon or Volvo.

maybe even a honda civic considering the macbooks great resale value and reliability.

Ferraris and many super cars are over powerful and troublesome. Also designed for the track rather than a daily driver. Those beastly gaming machines with 1997672245+ quad cores with the latest graphics cards to play every game on ultra high settings are the super cars of laptops.

Btw ot but a lotus was the must uncomfortable I've ever been in a car. Rather have a Volvo:cool: