a Mail question

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
I am wanting to set up a new iMac 'fresh' .... not migrate from an older machine that probably has a lot of bloat.

Mail is set to sync with iCloud but what exactly syncs? When I connect the new computer with iCloud will the mail boxes, stored mail, folders etc. download?

elnbrg

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
It would sync your iCloud mail account (if enabled), your other accounts' settings (if the sync was set up on your old Mac), and smart folders.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
I am wanting to set up a new iMac 'fresh' .... not migrate from an older machine that probably has a lot of bloat.

Mail is set to sync with iCloud but what exactly syncs? When I connect the new computer with iCloud will the mail boxes, stored mail, folders etc. download?
based on the info you shared, iCloud mail that is still on the server will sync.

if you had been receiving Mail and placing it in folders located locally (not on the server) then this Mail is no longer on the server and not alble to be synced.

if you want to start fresh, then delete all Mail on the server (ie, still in a location on the server, such as Inbox, or, Sent).
therefore there would be nothing left on the server to sync.
you may want to look at the times you have set for automatic deletion etc.

also, in the iCloud Mail preferences is also Notes and Reminders able to be synced as well.

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
thanks guys ... I bring my email routed through Cox to Mail ... I was hoping all of this went to iCloud that I could download it to my new iMac. I don't use iCloud mail.