A Milestone For Women In Politics:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 10, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

freaking love it.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You know, this country is a Democracy.

And I sincerely believe that if the American people wanted the Global War on Terror to be over; we could make that happen. That if we wanted to put an end to drone strikes and kill lists; if we wanted to close Guantanamo Bay; and undo much of the Security Theater at our airports - we could make that happen.

So what I'd say to our libertarian friends, so concerned about indefinite detention, about Special Forces operatives in Syria and Iraq, is this: Start with a petition. Start holding protest marches. Make your case as to why we can do this. Get the American people to stand up and say: "Yes, I am prepared to accept some degree of heightened risk of a terrorist attack"

I'd be very tempted to sign that petition. I'd be very tempted to join that protest.

But somehow I don't see it happening anytime soon. Because "Libertarian" seems to be more like shorthand for doing nothing but complaining.

3. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

No, this country is a Constitutional Republic with a democratically elected representative government... If we can keep it...

4. bent christian, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

In 2012, when Occupy and the IVAW had 20k people marching down Michigan Avenue to protest NATO, the G8, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Libertarians were nowhere to be found. Not a hint of participation.

We get a lot of activism in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. Never, not once, have I ever seen or heard of Libertarians demonstrating publicly. They don't run candidates that have any visibility, aside from the presidential candidate every knows will lose.

The Libertarian Party can join the Greens as an embarrassment - a disorganized joke of a political party.

--- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2016 ---
    A democratically elected representative government is a form of democracy. (obviously)

The U.S. is a republic. It is also a democracy. The two words are not mutually exclusive.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You know, sometimes I think people (on either side of the political spectrum) sometimes like to pretend that we're aren't actually a democracy. That all elections are rigged; that our Government is helplessly in the thrall of big business; big banks; big donors; the military-industrial complex. Of lobbyists or the tobacco companies or the NRA. You pick your bogeyman.

Because doing that is very convenient. It lets people off the hook. They don't have to take responsibility for the things our Government does. I can't tell you how many people tell me they aren't going to vote because they think its a waste of time. Or that they are going to vote for some oddball to as a "protest" against the rigged system.

As a people we are responsible for the things our Government does. Libertarians, and leftists, need to understand that.

6. jerwin macrumors 65816

A classical democracy is a state in which people are selected to positions of power through a lottery.

7. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

8. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

9. cube macrumors G5

10. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

We are a republic. We are also a democracy.

We have democratically elected representatives, therfore, a form of democracy exists.

As much as neo-feudalist Right-wingers despise the concept of liberal democracy, this fact remains - Republic and Democracy are not mutually exclusive words. The can, and do, coexist simultaneously.

11. AFEPPL, Jun 10, 2016

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

It's time to get away from the "first" mentality and elect candidates based on who's best...
    Totally messed up. Trump or Hilary... its like asking how you'd like to be murdered.

12. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Yeah, I saw that guy around a lot in Chicago during 2010-2012 Occupy. His Wiki page claims the guy has run under many different parties - Republican, Democratic, Libertarian. He is more of anarchic performance artist than anything else. He doesn't really count. If you want to count him, OK. You got one! There was ONE libertarian. One libertarian who didn't really make themselves known.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

please, that is like implying there are no democrats at the BLM rallies :rolleyes:

14. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

He is libertarian/anarchist, but yes he uses a form of performance art to troll political parties.

John Kass: NATO protest fails to deliver punch

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...20120521_1_nato-protest-anarchists-grant-park

There was one sign above all that I thought was unique. It was held by a tall fellow with long arms marching on Harrison Street toward Michigan Avenue. He held it high with his right hand. It had two words:

Ron Paul.​

Probably a safe bet that that Ron Paul supporter was libertarian. This other guy, Garret Ean, was there to document protesting, and he’s libertarian-anarchist: https://freeconcord.org

Unrelated story, on his group saving citizens from parking fines

2013_04_11_article_1of2.jpg

This is cursory Google. So yes, there were libertarians there. Involved in protesting.

15. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Ron Paul is/was a Republican.

It's safe to say that guy was a Republican.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

as much as Bernie is a democrat ;)

17. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Ron Paul is libertarian-Republican.

18. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Yeah, and he was there to document the event. It's kind of hard to be shooting and involving yourself in activism at the same time.
    Independent-turned Democrat for the sake of a presidential election.

Republican, never ran as anything else.

19. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Yeah, it sure is difficult to hold a camera while marching along with the crowd or mixed amongst the crowd stationary. There were libertarians there; how many, I do not have the answer. But you were wrong.

20. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Ahhh. That's what this is about. Butt-hurt about being outed as a liar and a fraud.

OK.

21. Jess13, Jun 10, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

How’s your foot taste?

Now for a Real Underdog: Ron Paul, Libertarian, for President

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/17/us/now-for-a-real-underdog-ron-paul-libertarian-for-president.html

As the Presidential candidate of the Libertarian Party, Dr. Paul knows he will do well to get 2 percent of the vote on Nov. 8. Still, the 53-year-old physician and former Congressman continues to travel the country virtually without a break, trying to get into newspapers and on television, giving speeches and preaching his party's philosophy of ''get the Government off our backs'' to students at colleges and high schools.

22. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Three! OK. There were three in 20k!

The thrust of my argument still stands.

23. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

No, just pointing out that your matter-of-fact declaration that libertarians were nowhere to be found, was wrong. You were wrong. Period. And I have admitted my mistake in that thread; I didn’t lie, but I was wrong. Funny how you seem incapable of admitting that you were wrong in this thread.
    Cursory Google. Your point disproven; argument negated.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what IS your argument? killing the messenger because you can't handle the message?

25. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I was going to make a different post, but then it dawned on me even more how sarcastic those women are, especially those that are clearly reading from cue cards placed just next to the camera. Especially the one with the baby strapped on her, who can't be bothered to say anything approaching a solution. Typical Libertarian - always everyone else's fault.

And they all love saying "vagina" for some reason.

Is this what American politics has become - all glossy blame shifting and offering no suggestions in how to actually fix things? So I will thank those women for helping me even more to vote for Clinton as a result. I can't believe they're even remotely serious.

And, yeah, "reason.tv" says it all at the end. Where's the emoticon of utter hysterics?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm so glad it's not ran by Libertarians. At least Anarchists are honest enough not to run for office that betrays their own beliefs of indivudual hoohah and bloobety. The Libertarians' own site is so full of contradictions it's almost too funny to take seriously over how they keep tripping over themselves...

https://www.lp.org/platform
    "Butthurt"? Who coined that term? And if that's all Hillary has lied about, what is easily an oversight and/or ignoring the fact the party that nominated way back when wasn't anything approaching a "major" party...