A Million iBooks

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Keep em coming...

It's time for apple to buy up some market share, let's see them do it... (btw, i've just been in an argument with a pc user for about 30 mins about apple vs pc cos of market share - it's pissing me off)

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
Well, the mian reason macs only have 10% is because they use the entire market against us. Business and Consumer. If you break it down, macs have less of a market share of 5% in business and almost 20% + in the consumer market. Because Microsoft can afford to dish out free stuff and freebies to IT managers to get them hooked and they sink more money into microsoft in the long run.

:\

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Keep em coming...

Originally posted by j763
It's time for apple to buy up some market share, let's see them do it... (btw, i've just been in an argument with a pc user for about 30 mins about apple vs pc cos of market share - it's pissing me off)
I would love to see Apple have a better market share, the only problem I see in them getting it is the monopoly called micro$oft. I support both Mac and pc systems at work, and the Mac's are by far the easier to work on.

I have had similar arguments with a person at work, since he loves his pc (at home) and hates the Mac (at work, claiming that it always crashes, but never willing to show me or let me work on the system because he is always in a time crunch). I finally got hime to accept that the Mac will always be around, since it has good footholds in certain markets (education and publishing just to name two).

The first computer that I was actually excited to use was a Mac, before then, the pc's always bored the crap out of me. Now I own two Mac's at home, along with the pc that I built. Honestly, the ONLY thing I use the pc for is games. Everything else is done on one of the Mac systems. I cannot imagine what life would be like without a Mac either on my lap or desk. I think Apple going under is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: IBooks

Originally posted by eyelikeart
Take note that the article does say "rumor."
With Apple, everything not yet released is rumor until the day after they are announced. Because they have such tight lips about what is coming out, it feeds the rumor mill. Not that it is a bad thing, it keeps people guessing, and wishing. And the competition from coming out with the same type of product the same day, week or month, or earlier.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
TIGHT LIPS?

look back at the macrumors' posts in the past and appleinsider.com (not possible at this point i think) and you will see that there is nothing tight about apple inc's lips

only newt gingrich or cnn spilled out more info

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
true

From what I've followed over the past year...

although not always accurate, the rumor threads are usually pretty in sync with what we end up seeing.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
actually, i live not too far from apple so i guess if you are in another part of the country or in a different country, rumors don't get passed from apple employees or distributors from cupertino

but the rumor sites are still not bad if you sift thru the ultra opmomistic rumors, therein usually lies the truth or a close representaion of it

i do admit when the rumor sites came up with the cube, i didn't believe it and it seems like the consumers out there after its release didn't believe the super high price tag and that is what killed the cube more than not having expandability thru pci slots

i would have bought the cube if it came out at a lower price initially since i was looking for an imac for basic tasks

maybe, a cube could eventually come out again because i know this was really steve jobs' baby, but so was the lisa, which failed miserably

steve jobs has such good ideas that sometimes its actually too far ahead of its time but at least he is somewhat more realistic (hopefully) with his extra experience he gained from next and pixar

...but that said, the IT field will always need visionaries like the woz and steve jobs or else everything will be boring like pcs and windows

T

Twister

New iBooks?

I'm hopefully buying a new iBook soon. But what are the chances that a new iBook will be on its way very soon? Any?

Twister
twister_mc@yahoo.com

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
It's possible

I think there's a good chance Apple will sell 1,000,000 iBooks next year. They already have an installed userbase of 25,000,000+ machines.. many of those are old now and can't run OS X. A lot of those people will like the increased power and mobility an iBook would give them and may upgrade. I'm sorry I ever bought an iMac after buying an iBook. The iBook is every bit as good as an iMac with an LCD screen but doesn't tie you down to a desk.

Then let's talk about Apple's education contracts.. Heck, they sold over 100,000 laptops to education alone last year looking at all the high profile contracts.. 23,000 of those to just one school district alone (Henrico County), and their iBook mobile lab program had just begun in the last half of this year. Schools are finicky in purchasing, but now that there are several school districts using ibooks exclusively for all their students, the models set a precedent that other schools are very likely to follow. Apple's education sales for 2002 may likely double over this year for laptops.

Now add in the G4 factor.. If G5 becomes available in quantity in March for PowerBooks, Apple could shift cheap G4s over to the iBook, making the iBook vastly more powerful and desirable. I think it's well within the realm of possibilities to sell 1,000,000 iBooks in 2002.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: It's possible

Originally posted by Xapplimatic
Now add in the G4 factor.. If G5 becomes available in quantity in March for PowerBooks, Apple could shift cheap G4s over to the iBook, making the iBook vastly more powerful and desirable. I think it's well within the realm of possibilities to sell 1,000,000 iBooks in 2002.
Realistically, I don't see Apple switching PowerBooks over to the G5 until about a year after the G5 hits the desktops. That is what has happened so far. G4 desktops were in production for well over a year before the first G4 PowerBook came out. Since they have only released two revisions of the TiBook, I don't see the jump just yet.

G4's in iBooks could happen, if they used the lower speed chips. There would not be much of an incentive for people to get the TiBooks if they could get an iBook with the same speed processor.

Everything is a rumor until it becomes a fact.

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
The danger: product dilution

The question I have is: Is Apple selling iBooks to current Apple customers (perhaps owners of older macs looking to upgrade to OS X as previously posted) or are they actually growing market share by targeting Dell/Gateway/Etc customers?

The distinction is critical because if the rumors are true, they are about to deliver two similar products to the market place. The first, two million units of what the Wall Street Journal called the best notebook ever (the iBook, not the G4 Ti) which boasts a G3, crisp flat screen display, and long batery life. The second, a flatscreen iMac boasting the G3, a 15" display, all in one unit that, for better or worse, *is* quite portable when compared to previous 'desktops' (Think how many trips to the car to load your QuickSilver, CRT Studio Display, keyboard, mouse, etc.)

It all boils down to the danger that the iBook and the flatscreen iMac are courting the same market segment, while other market segments, like high end workstations, graphic designers, etc. are still awaiting a G5 or a dual-processor G4 that lasts longer than one fiscal quarter.

If you were an educational purchaser/parent looking for an Apple/Mac adict/whatever and could buy Airport enabled iBooks or flatscreen iMacs wouldn't you get the notebooks? If so, then who will buy the iMac?

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
I agree Apple definitely won't put G4s in iBooks until G5s are in PowerBooks.. They do have to keep product differentiation.

An LCD iMac however does not compete with an iBook any more than a CRT iMac does.. The only difference is wether or not users should have to sacrifice their eyes to a radiation-based screen or not. Schools, businesses, and parents with kids will still want fixed-position (aka desktop) computers for several reasons. Some will want only desktops because they don't want it to be so easy to walk off with their hardware. Others simply because they want a full-sized keyboard and better built in speakers than what's on any laptop. Plus, the screen on an LCD iMac will in all likelihood be a higher quality screen than could be offered on an iBook. Screens on laptops are abysmal for school environments for one. Kids have dirty hands that tend to get all over the screens. A glass screen is certainly easier to clean than a plastic one. Notice the screens made for PowerMacs are a much more thicker, harder material than those on the PowerBooks and iBooks? An iMac is in short cheaper and more durable for certain environments and therefore has a slightly different target market. If there's going to be an LCD iMac, it also means that its price will be somewhat less than an iBook because desktop components tend to be larger and cheaper than what's demanded of a portable. The price will continue to be a large part of product differentiation.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
iBooks or?

I doubt Compal is going to manufacture iBooks... Alpha Top has been able to meet demand. I suspect this is for another computer, perhaps a subnotebook thingee. Apple is really hyping MWSF as never before. Take a look at http://www.apple.com

Synthplaya

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2001
Sheesh..has Apple ever hyped a Macword expo like this before?

Must be plannin on bringing the goods this time around..