A modest list of what I would like to see in the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hakr100, Dec 26, 2011.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I’ve been using cell phones ever since the “bag phones” of days gone by. I’ve had good cell phones, bad cell phones, mediocre cell phones. Before I got a 4S, I had an HTC Incredible for nearly two years. Both phones were adequate in many ways, and I don’t think one was better than the other, overall.

But, if I were in charge of designing the next round of iPhones, here’s what I’d want in the product:

1. Significantly improved telephone features, in terms of transceiving voice calls. Some of this is dependent upon one’s network and one’s proximity to cell towers, but some of it is dependent upon cell phone circuitry, speakers, microphones, et cetera. I don’t think enough attention is paid to the “phone” part of modern cell phones.

2. A 4” screen one can see and read in bright daylight. No more b.s., no more excuses. I have screens on the instruments on my boat I can see in bright sunlight without any trouble.

3. A durable enclosure for the cell phone’s innards so one doesn’t feel the necessity to go out and buy, as I did, a Griffin Survivor, to protect the phone if I happen to drop it. That means a shatterproof, crackproof screen, too.

4. A removable, replaceable back that allows use of much larger batteries.

5. An easy way, without “jailbreaking,” to get access to the phone’s file system, and a file system that makes sense, with, you know, folders you can access, create, eliminate directly.

I don’t really care whether the next iteration of the iPhone has a 12, 16 or 20 megapixel camera, since I don’t use the camera in my iPhone 4s.

I also don’t care if there are 500,000 more “apps” coming for the iPhone. I’ve got a couple dozen apps on my phone, and I haven’t added any for at least a month. When I first got my iPhone, I downloaded and tried out bunches of apps, and then I deleted them because they were silly, or garbage, or both.

I know I differ from many here, in that I first view the iPhone as a portable phone and as an instrument with which to retrieve and send emails to clients and friends. I like the iPhone quite a bit, I just wish more effort was spent on making it a better phone and less on making it an itty-bitty computer.

Rant off. :D

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

there is no chance of a removable battery.
    Since when did apple take function over form (regarding the case design)

just my $.02

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd like to see the 3G/edge toggle.
    Not trying to defend Apple or anything, but I can totally see my screen in bright sunlight.

4. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't a clue as to why the battery in an iPhone can't be "user replaceable" with either the same or, with a different back, a larger battery.

As for "case design," I suppose you are right, although considering the exposure to the elements a cell phone gets, you'd think the product designers at Apple would come to conclusions that brought us something other than a glass back on the case. At least with my Griffin Survivor case, I have the hope the cell phone will survive a drop. The other advantage of a case like it is that it gives you lots of surfaces with which to grab and hold onto the phone so it doesn't slip away.

Anyone who won't 'fess up to dropping their cell phone or having it fall out of a pocket or off a desk is...lying. :)

5. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

1) - Not screwing over current customers during the "pre-order" (by selling their pre-ordered phones to walk-ins)

2) - After 17 months of "polishing", make sure the batt/software actually work :eek:

2) - Having Siri work for everyone, (not just select areas)

3) - Not being so darned heavy

1) - a bigger screen

6. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree about the toggles.
    As to seeing the screen in bright sunlight, your eyes must be a hell of a lot better than mine. All I see is a washed out screen I cannot read. Maybe it is because I came here from a planet where there is almost always constant darkness. :eek:

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have never dropped my phone. It has never fallen out of my pocket or off a desk or table.

Honest.

Pinky swear.

Never.

(And no, it is not still in the box in a drawer. I carry it with me always.) :D

8. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. Ahh. Sorry. I waited in line on the first day of issue at the local Verizon store. Took about an hour (I was 17th in line) and got the phone I wanted.

2. The battery issues are annoying. I think much of it (aside from the glitch) is the fact that the battery is small and the demands on it are large. A bigger batter would help.

3. I don't find the 4s heavy. In fact, I bought a case to make it heavier and bulkier.

4. A true 4" screen would be terrific.

----------

Ok...I believe you. Really. I do. :D

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not sure because I can totally read it (that too in year-round sunny florida). Is your autobrightness on? Or do you have a case that covers the ambient light sensor?

Oh I'd also like better battery life. I wonder if they even bothered testing it. Noticeably worst than my old 3GS which I'd been using for just over a year.

10. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read where the case I use blocks the ambient light sensor, so I shut off autobright and have it set to halfway. I'll turn it up and see if it makes a diff.

BTW, where, precisely, is the ambient brightness sensor? :confused:

11. SurferMan macrumors 65816

B/c of the battery location, the only way to get to it is by literally completely disassembling the phone. Where as on a an Android device you basically just pop the battery cover and do what you want. I don't see Apple ever allowing a battery cover to be introduced as their more into the look/form of the phone then function.

12. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

i would welcome a 4 inch screen with open arms.

13. dirtclod macrumors member

I just bought a Droid Razr because Apple makes it so tough to get a phone for some folks.

I was a 3G owner and liked the device but I hated AT&T. I tried to get a phone via the Verizon store but they don't stock them it seems (I called all over the place and nobody had them in stock and couldn't tell me when they'd be in stock). They will order but will only deliver to the billing address of the credit card and since I'm home so little because of my job which keeps me away from home. Bottom line is that I wanted an iPhone 4S but am going without for now.

What I want to see?

1. Bigger screen. The Razr has a nice big screen.
    2. Thinner form factor. Razr again...
    3. Better attention paid to the phone part of the iPhone. After all, it's still a telephone.
    4. That's about it....

Not a troll here at all. But there are some nice things with other phones too. I hope to be back with an Apple again someday because I think they do the software so much better than the discombobulated Android stuff. But hardware could probably be updated with a bigger screen.

14. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thinner? I guess my clunky hands prefer a thicker, not a thinner, phone. :)

15. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Have an Apple store nearby? I think you can order and have it delivered there, if they don't already have some in stock.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Leave it half way, but enable the autobrightness. Take your phone out of the case and use it in the sun - just so you can test it.

As for where exactly it is, I'm not sure. But I can tell you that it works!

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Points four and five are not going to happen. May as well be asking to allow us to install other OS's, such as android, on our idevices as a stock feature.

18. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

You want the iphone heavier and bulkier?
    My friend you are definitely in the minority, intentionally making your 4s "heavier and bulkier" isn't what most people are after -

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I could be wrong, but he was probably going for "easier to hold". I don't exactly feel I have a secure grip on a "naked" iPhone.

20. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I understand that we don't have prehensile tails, but we should be able to hold onto our phones - lol
    (I say "should", cause I dropped my 3g and shattered my screen)

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I never, personally, had any issue with any iPhone prior to the 4 in terms of holding onto the thing. The 4 is just incredibly slippery IMO. Incredibly sexy, but slippery nonetheless.

22. lovish macrumors member

I would like to see an arrordable iphone in other countries too.. rather then keeping its price at 1000 $$ as you have done for iphone 4s in India... that sucks man...

Love is eternal - Albus dumbledore

23. bearsalley34 macrumors member

4 and 5 are never going to happen. The others are possible but 1 i think the the most likely to actually happen.

24. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I put a wrapsol clear skin on the top, back, and edges, and not only does it still look great, it is really "grippy" in your hand compared to bare - Got it at walmart for 20 bucks, highly recommend a set -:)

25. Aquaporin macrumors 6502

Sounds like a phone running android would appease your demands. I find the approach WP7 and iOS take toward the mobile operating system to be superior to the demands you listed. I would never buy an iPhone if they adopted your points.