a moment of silence...

Luke9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2002
6
0
Greetings people ....my 2+ year old pro mouse has bitten the dust (USB cable has shorted out where it meets the mouse) although I am currently awaiting a band of teeny forest elves to help me remake the connections ...the wire I'm left with is almost to small to reconnect ..yada yada yada ...here's my question

can anyone offer any information as to if/when Apple will release a "cordless" pro mouse ....I really don't want to drop another 100 clams (yes I'm from Canada) on a new pro mouse if a cordless version is on the way.

thanks in advance
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
You can get a MacAlly iOptiNet mouse for about $30 (US) depending on where you shop. Since it's optical, you don't have to worry about your mouse getting dirty balls... :p

Seems like all you crazy Canadians pay about 2x what we pay for items down here in the US... makes me glad to be an American :p :D.
 

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
1,772
11
Illinois
That and all the hot Canadian chicks come down here anyway. No reason to stay north of the border.
 

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,897
0
Metairie, LA
hmm...I'll feel lost if/when that ever happens to my Pro Mice...

there's talk of a new mouse...but that's exactly what it is...just talk... ;)
 

Luke9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2002
6
0
a moment of silence

thanks for the input peoples .....I won't even touch the American/Canadian thing ...lol lol ...and Eyelikeart ....I can tell ya what I had to do ....."shudder" ...revert to the PUCK! .....my least favorite Apple innovation :D
 

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
2,437
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by eyelikeart
hmm...I'll feel lost if/when that ever happens to my Pro Mice...

there's talk of a new mouse...but that's exactly what it is...just talk... ;)
I love the pro mouse. If they ever get rid of them, I'm gonna buy a box. Like whatever gross they come in. 50? 100? Doesn't matter. I'll buy them. and sell half on ebay.

D4mn those things are awesome. They make me feel so 3L1T3

m
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
I gather you didn't get the AppleCare protection on your computer then... Foolish mortal. IF you had it, you could simply call up Apple and get a FREE replacement mouse...

Poor, poor bastard... :p :D
 

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
2,437
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I gather you didn't get the AppleCare protection on your computer then... Foolish mortal. IF you had it, you could simply call up Apple and get a FREE replacement mouse...

Poor, poor bastard... :p :D
Hm. I didn't know Apple Care covered the mouse too. Makes sense. ah! good thing my ti, 450 and 1gig are alll covered up. :)

But if they discontinue the pro mouse..... then they'll send the new one??? I Hope NOT! I want my pro mouse.

Boxes of them
 

Luke9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2002
6
0
MOxie

the mouse had it's own 1 year coverage ....but that does not help me much after 2 1/2 years .....:eek:)
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
What about the computer it is attached to??? What came with it?? Do you have any other towers/Mac systems with the protection and came with a pro mouse?? If you do, then tell Apple it is the one that came with that system... They will send you a replacement and then you can make a xmas ornament out of the old one...
 

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
2,437
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by AlphaTech
What about the computer it is attached to??? What came with it?? Do you have any other towers/Mac systems with the protection and came with a pro mouse?? If you do, then tell Apple it is the one that came with that system... They will send you a replacement and then you can make a xmas ornament out of the old one...
A pro mouse xmas tree ornament. That rocks. Great idea Alpha
 

Luke9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2002
6
0
Moxie

lol ...if the elves don't come ....the christmas ornament idea is a excellent !

but alas my G4 400 AGP came with the PUCK! .....and after 2 days of renewed use my hand is already starting to form into a claw ....lmao

thanks again for the posts people !
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
Wait a minute, can't the puck mouse be used for a ceiling fan decoration?

Oh, wait, someone already thought of that! :D

Then, again, it seems that for some people who have had computer problems some of the time, they have little or no problems w/AppleCare, but get hammered w/o it.

Now, about this guy Murphy... :)
 

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
2,437
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by King Cobra
Wait a minute, can't the puck mouse be used for a ceiling fan decoration?

Oh, wait, someone already thought of that! :D

Then, again, it seems that for some people who have had computer problems some of the time, they have little or no problems w/AppleCare, but get hammered w/o it.

Now, about this guy Murphy... :)
I hear Murphy is a lawmaker. :) I have never had any problems with my Macs.... i alsways get applecare. You may be right on that cobra. :)
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Moxiemike


I hear Murphy is a lawmaker. :) I have never had any problems with my Macs.... i alsways get applecare. You may be right on that cobra. :)
Murphy is a sadist in the worst possible way... I like him.. LMAO!!! :D
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Murphy is a sadist in the worst possible way... I like him.. LMAO!!! :D
Just when I finished my post on his law in reality court, you posted something.

I think we need a few more witnesses to testify! :D
 

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
2,437
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by King Cobra


Just when I finished my post on his law in reality court, you posted something.

I think we need a few more witnesses to testify! :D
I'll testify.... he's always lurking somewhere. Kinda like Alpha. ;)
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Moxiemike
I'll testify.... he's always lurking somewhere. Kinda like Alpha. ;)
Bugger off... :p :D

You know I will testify on Murphy's behalf, just to toss a wrench into your works... :p :D
 

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
151
0
The Bahamas
A pro mouse xmas tree ornament. That rocks. Great idea Alpha
That really does rock.

I can see it now, coloured swirls of glittery paint coating the inside and the usb rewired to receive power from christmas tree lights. Shweet! haha:D
 

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
2,124
12
Lancashire
Apple mice are useless!

I've had to replace the mouse I got with my beige G3 (bought early '98 as a cheap end of life deal) twice already. They just screw up in some way, loose connections here, worn out microswitch there.

My Atari ST still works fine after 11 years and the original mouse that came with it still works fine too.

Moral of the story, they don't make 'em like they used to!

As for getting a replacement, I'd go for something with 2 buttons and scrollwheel myself, not much more expensive than an apple mouse and it saves you using the keyboard as much.
 

GabrielX

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2002
28
0
Omaha
Re: Apple mice are useless!

Originally posted by barkmonster

As for getting a replacement, I'd go for something with 2 buttons and scrollwheel myself, not much more expensive than an apple mouse and it saves you using the keyboard as much.
While I don't mind two buttons, although it I still have to remember to use it when switch from a Mac to a PC, the scrollwheel has always bothered me.

I don't mind using them, but they screw up my tendonitis bad.

For that reason, I don't really have the fascination for them that some have.

Gabriel
 

Luke9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2002
6
0
at the risk of opening the flood gates ....and thanking you for your responses first! The pro mouse CAN NOT be beat ! ... I have the two button scrolly wonder that came with my wacom tablet ...but call me crazy ...I prefer the one button (no button) and command key combo...it just feels more natural ... :D
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.