A month away, Time Capsule wants to back up the entire hard drive??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Aug 25, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I spent a month away from my Time Capsule, and just hooked it up to back up my hard drive on my MBP. Haven't done much the past month except download about 15 songs from iTunes, and mess with a couple word documents.

When I went up to the Time Machine icon in the menubar and hit "Back up now" it gave me that box with the option to create a new backup or reuse the backup, which was odd, but I picked the default option of "reuse backup" and then it tried to backup my entire hard drive instead of an incremental back up of just the changes since I last did it.

What gives??

FWIW I have a new logic board that I think is garbage since the machine doesn't turn on properly once in a while.

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hmmm sounds to me like it is not recognizing your user as the same user, i got a new hard drive and i migration assisted my stuff from my external hard drive, (time machine backup) but it made me save it as a new user so it transferred everything into a new name and then backed it back up again, i have had it back up 10k + files that i apparently accumulated in just a few hours, its odd, but it works =D hmmm maybe you could back up everything and delete the old? and see if it does it again after a month? although i do a backup a few times a day.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

who knows, im just gonna reformat it and start fresh again

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

When Apple replaced my logic board, some of my devices and services treated my MacBook as new. I had to re-register it so I could get on to my work network, and confirm with my time machine drive that it was the same computer and so on. My guess is that since your logic board was replaced, something (maybe settings?) is making your time capsule think it is a new computer.

5. warrmr macrumors regular

I believe that the sparsebundle that time machine makes is linked the the MAC address of one of the network cards. If the logic board was changed then the MAC with have changed.

* note I may be totally wrong but this is how i understand it.