A Natural Reaction to the Age of Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Feb 19, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I've taken up gardening.

It's not easy to be a gardener in Wisconsin. (It's not easy to be a liberal here, either. But that's another story.) The outdoor growing season is pitifully short, running from mid-May through the end of September. About the length of the yachting season, and roughly half the amount of time you can ride your motorcycle.

But I love to cook, and some dear friends of mine gave me an Aerogarden (a hydroponic self-contained growing system) with a "Gourmet Seed Pod" kit for Christmas. And in a few short weeks I went from this:

IMG_0256.jpg

to this:

IMG_0358.jpg

There are some valuable lessons to be learned from gardening. If a plant dies or a crop fails, it's not "fake news." You can tell right away from the yellow leaves or withered stems that you've done something wrong. Horticulture is a natural process. Not every seed will germinate. But most of them will. Plants want to grow - give them the right amount of air, light, moisture, and nutrients - and they will thrive.

As my mother (a lifelong gardener) once told me: Mother nature can be encouraged - but she won't be rushed. Plants can benefit greatly from a little careful pruning. But doubling the amount of fertilizer you dump on them is guaranteed to kill them, not make them grow any faster.

I'm certainly not doing this to piss off my conservative friends. Rather the opposite in fact. I made a dinner for one of them of omelets (enlivened with fresh parsley and basil) and sauteed potatoes with thyme and dill - washed down with a very nice North Coast Pinot Grigio the other day. I'm not obsessive about my food: I'm sure the eggs came from some factory-farmed caged nightmare. But it was delicious and enjoyable all the same.

It's still several months before I can expect to see the vibrant colors of geraniums and petunias outside my living room window. But from the deep and dark despair of a Wisconsin winter in the age of Trump, hope - and herbs - springs eternal.

Attached Files:

2. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

California legalized those herbs.

Hopefully Wisconsin does as well.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

omg they look so delicious. i struggle just to keep parsley, thyme, rosemary and sometimes dill in my kitchen over winters... and half the time i catch one of the 2 kitties at the parsley if I don't keep a little chickenwire box over it... thanks for sharing those fabulous photos!

here our growing season outside is hampered by late frosts and early ones, but barring those we figure on having stuff that can't take a frost joke growing outdoors only from june 1 through late august, mid-september on average. So coldframes are common, or the clutter of having stuff on top of refrigerators or the ends of kitchen tables etc. to get a leg up. And then invariably some plastic tents on stuff like tomatoes at beginning and end of season. It's so worth it for the taste...

I've ordered seed catalogs, they should be here this week... dreaming of adding new perennials this year. Whatever it takes to get past renting too much space in my head to Trump.

5. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I took up gardening after Bush Jr. invaded Iraq. I killed three semi-expensive bonsai trees over the course of a year through my negligence before I decided that gardening was not my forte. :oops:

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Ewwwww... that reminds me of what I did once that year; not quite as expensive by any means, but,,, was glued to the tube for the news and forgot to open up the coldframe one sunny morning, totally fried a bunch of delicious lettuces and some onion seedlings. "I blame Bush"... :D Following year took the tube to the landfill, haven't killed any spring lettuce since then LOL.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Interesting.
    Why not post this in the community subforum?

What does Donnie have to do with your herbgarden?

On second thought:

Did he inspire you to grow your own beautiful herbs?
    Another Trump achievment!
    Tremendous.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Where in Wisconsin VrDrew? I went to HS and College in Madison (liberal bastion). Great state when I lived there...the Wisconsin Coast (Lake Superior counts) is awesome - Apostle Islands, the Dells...etc.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No.

Besides, what an ungenerous, petty-minded, little post.

To @vrDrew - great thread, terrific story and lovely photos - thanks for sharing.

@LizKat and @ChrisWB - great stories, too.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

he needs to move to Cali and grow weed in that thing. Will fit right in.

11. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Hydroponics is a fascinating subject. And, of course, once you start looking into it, it's only a matter of time before you run into the inevitable association with growing plants that can be smoked. I've had to explain to more than one person that wasn't what I was attempting to do. And trying to use an AeroGarden like I have wouldn't work. Cannabis plants need to grow to a height of several feet, and require far more intense light than my little device puts out. Plants that bloom, such as cannabis, usually require an extra "boost" of solar energy before they will bear fruit.

I will say that the cultivation - legal and otherwise - of marijuana has really done a lot to spur innovation in the hydroponics industry. Of course, that association with a quasi-mostly-illegal product means that prices for most hydroponic equipment are very high (no pun intended.) A high-pressure sodium light setup can easily cost $1500; with $100 bulbs that need to be replaced every six months. Add in a reverse osmosis water treatment system; equipment to balance out the pH; get the TDS (total dissolved solids) reading; vent excess heat and CO2; etc. etc. - and you can easily spend $10,000 or more on a relatively small-sized grow room. All I can say is those better be some pretty darned tasty tomatoes they are growing.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

This could require Poppy plants.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, as I am given to understand, the poppy grows rather well in southern Afghanistan.

14. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

So I have to listen to him complain for eight years? You guys didn't have to listen to us complain for eight years.

Let me dribble some random excuse to jab at Hilary no matter how unrelated and flog the dead horse.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

About the best thing this forum could do is either create a Donald Trump section just so they can cry and comfort themselves in an echo chamber or totally dump the PRSI section all together. You can't even read stories from the front page with someone crying about Trump.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If Mr Trump conducted himself with the dignity befitting his office, wasn't as narcissistically and neurotically and hysterically thin-skinned, lied a lot less, picked fewer fights with allies and friends, was able to fill his administration and cabinet with qualified, sane and stable individuals - and also allowed them to choose their own staff - checked his facts, wasn't so intellectually lazy, and did not attack the judiciary, intelligence community, and the media with such sustained invective, - then, I think people might grit their teeth and see how his tenure turns out.

However, the man is a walking disaster, an unstable, thin-skinned, sociopathic, narcissist, who never expected to win, and governs as though the brash and brutal management style he promoted in a reality TV show can translate effectively to administrative and bureaucratic skill in running a government.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Too bad. The forum is perfect for threads about Trump. I'd say get used to it but sometimes I think we should rush to get all our Trump threads up there and populated while he's still relevant. He's kinda starting to wear out his welcome in the GOP from what I can make out (obviously not many of them wish to go on record about it).

I just read this over and realize it's a little bit out of character for me. I'm glad spring is almost here, I have a lot to do before it arrives... somehow think I should spend more time doing it and less time in here. Lucky y'all... :p

18. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I like turtles.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I like salamanders, brightly colored ones, but I haven't seen them around here since the mid 90s... I think they are very sensitive to environmental changes, or else the weird deep freeezes and flooding thaws of our 1996 winter got them all. I still miss never turning one up any more, suddenly, when raking over leaves and mulches in the spring. 20 years is a long time to be hoping they just show up again some time...

20. HEK Suspended

HEK

Last time i checked it's only four years. I wouldn't assume the Donald will pull off a second win. He only did this one by 77k votes.

21. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Inch or a mile a win is a win.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Poppy is the state flower here in Cali ;)

23. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You don't have to listen to him complain for a minute. Ignore threads you are not comfortable with (like any rightwing snowflake), or put the entire left on ignore. If you decide to flog a dead horse, remember that we have the same options for you.

24. HEK Suspended

HEK

Oh it was a win, all i'm saying don't be so all fired sure it will happen again. Winning by an inch means he can also loose by the same inch.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    Talking to one self inside a bubble is not defined as a conversation. The sound you hear is the echo of your own voice off the inside of that bubble.

25. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Definition of the right?