A New Bill in Tennessee Could Nullify Federal Gun Control Laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 21, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nice. hope it passes :D

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

A state can't nullify federal law, but that state is not required to enforce federal laws.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

...that's until the law ends up in the U.S. Supreme Court. I hope it does not pass. This country is way too gun happy. Guns are the problem especially in the hands of nincompoops, mentally ill, poor judgers, chip wearers, etc, not the solution.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right, the state is not required to help, but it can't obstruct federal law.

So, if the bill is written to nullify federal gun laws, Tenn. will immediately face a challenge from the Department of Justice.

Of course, a Texas state Rep. introduced a similar bill in May 2013 and it never went past committee. Arizona did as well.

Mostly, this is political grandstanding by someone trying to get a little attention (money) from the NRA.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

You people really are scared, aren't you?

I do wonder if you actually lose sleep or let this kind of thing affect your daily life or even think about it for more than one minute per day.

6. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

do you mean "freedom" happy? guns are NOT the problem, SOME PEOPLE are. don't work to take away MY RIGHTS because someone else made a mistake.

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Interesting. So why aren't the Feds shutting down all the pot store in Colorado? :rolleyes:

9. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

They are just looking the other way(for now). If the Federal Government wanted to they could send the DEA in and shut every single shop down.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They could shut them down if they wanted to do so. The attempt to criminalize federal regulation is the point that I think would really result in a fast challenge.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet you are perfectly willing to take the rights of others away, as granted to them by the 15th and 19th (and quite possibly, 24th) Amendments, through VoterID.

The scent of hypocrisy is wafting in again.

BL.

12. APlotdevice, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The gun was invented to make people more efficient killers. If guns were no more dangerous than say a knife then they wouldn't even exist.

Frankly it's a bit ridiculous how in this country owning a weapon is considered a "fundamental right", and yet things like shelter and health care aren't.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Exactly. There's a political calculation here.

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yes, Gun ownership is a Right. However I don't know a lot of people that just want/expect the Government to give them free firearms.

However you did start me thinking about this....

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The Constitution grants the Federal government specific rights. Everything else belongs to the States. Federal gun control is not granted, therefor it's not a Federal responsibility

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No one took away your guns. There isn't even a proposal to take away guns. Obama passed absolutely nothing related to taking away guns when he had that list of 21 or 23 (I forget which) gun control measures.

(And if someone tries to show me one that has gun control you either have a fake one or one that was part of the "brainstorming" not the real proposal that was passed into law).

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I thanked Obama for it :D

18. lostngone, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yep you are 100% correct no one is trying to "take away" anyones guns....

They are giving you the choice to sell them or go to jail.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/12/05/gun-confiscation-underway-in-new-york-n1758137

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/06/new-york-city-confiscating-rifles-and-shotguns/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/robert-farago/begins-new-york-sending-gun-confiscation-notices/

And the other shoe... How do they know who has these firearms Oh yea.. Gun Registration... but wait I thought registration didn't lead to confiscation...

[​IMG]

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

So because a city restricts the types of weapons you can use in it the Federal government is taking away your guns?

20. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

If it wasn't for the NRA and places like Tennessee, yes I am sure they would...

By the way these weapons were 100% legal to own in New York and now if you own one of these you are a criminal just for having them...

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Not to split hairs, but, the form shown does not state that you can't own them. You can own them-- just store them outside of NYC.

22. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

You got me...

You should send that idea to the Brady Campaign or Mayors Against Illegal Guns! With that type of thinking/logic you could ban all guns from the US and still keep the second amendment.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes, it's all about freedom, the freedom to defend one's self, the freedom to go on a rampage and kill a dozen people after having a bad day.

24. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Show me where it says anyone has the freedom to "kill a dozen people".