a new ideological test

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Aug 15, 2016.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

One aspect that I'm curious about ... does this test apply to those coming to the U.S. to conduct business? It would be interesting to see what impact this "extreme vetting" would have on business and the U.S. economy.

It would be even more interesting to see what would happen if Middle East countries retaliated by having U.S. visitors take a similar ideological test, allowing entry only to those who support Islamic values.

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

A test Republican primary voters should've given Trump before handing him the nomination.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The man can't even vette his campaign staff.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

This really seems more and more relevant with each day.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Love Trump's bit about not planning to admit to the USA "those who support bigotry and hatred." Good he's not going parallel and suggesting deportation of bigots and haters. Rather poor form to disappear your own fans.

As far as ME countries vetting us on adherence to Islamic values, guess that would do away with the custom of secular compounds for American oil workers and their families over there... and do away with American oil workers over there... and American imports of ME oil from over there when they became unable to replace our workers and had to reduce production.

I wonder if Trump is aware that Saudi Aramco has been trying to hire US shale workers dismissed during the downturn in oil prices, since they wish to ramp up their ability to extract shale oil over there, and so now try to prepare for a time when that becomes profitable. Probably not. I wonder if Trump knows Saudi Aramco exists.

Gotta hand it to Trump, he really thinks this stuff through. :rolleyes:

6. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

“We’re going to make the best deals. [...] Hillary wants the debates hidden by football games. I don’t think so, folks. I don’t think so. [...] The debate commission told me that we’re debating hidden by football games; I agreed.”

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I like having the test. And let the middle east have a similar test for us. I'm comfortable with the Mid East countries not letting me in because I refuse to throw gays off roofs or to put my wife in a tent.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They're not all like that. I'm surprised you guys have never expressed irritation that many of these countries tend to send liberals. I assume you have seen this, given that you live in San Diego.

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm not in San Diego now.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And Khizr Khan calls Trump out again, daring Trump to take a Naturalization test. If Trump is requiring this from others, then Trump should be familiar with what they go through.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57b22b09e4b0863b0284510f

Having seen an immigrant's results from that test and their swearing ceremony, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump failed it.

BL.

11. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I think we should all take the civics part of the Naturalization test before we can register to vote.

Here's the practice test:

https://my.uscis.gov/prep/test/civics/view

The practice test asks 20 questions, the real test asks 10, and you must get 6 of them correct to pass, so let's assume we need 12 correct to pass the practice test.

I got 17 of the 20.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'd be okay with this. This has no conflict with the 15th, 19th, or 26th amendments.

BL.

13. DearthnVader, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Well, are you going to take the test?

I seem to remember some Southern states may have used a civics test to disqualify voters, mostly African Americans, in the past. So this may not be a popular idea.

EDIT:Here it is, the Alabama Literacy Test, but if you read the questions it's really a civics test.

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/origins/images/al_literacy.pdf

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That would run afoul of the 15th.

If it were available and required for everyone prior to voter registration, I'd have no problem with it and would take the test.

And the test in your link? Sure. When I'm not mobile, I'll indulge.

BL.

15. DearthnVader, Aug 18, 2016

DearthnVader

I took the Alabama Literacy Test too, but too many of the questions are fill in the blank and it won't accept the correct answer, unless you hold your tongue right.

I only got 28 out of 68, but I must have gotten another 20 correct that it marked as incorrect. It's a lot harder of a test, I can't imagine illiterate whites faired any better on the test than people of color, unless they were given the answers, or graded based on their race.

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=1965-alabama-literacy-test

I suppose they only gave this test to new registered voters in 1964/1965 in Alabama, not people who were already registered, but this is a pretty hard test. Kind of like those old 8th grade exams, in that I don't think most people today could pass them.

I think we're getting dumber, or is it more dumb, or most dumbest;-)

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay.. Just took the test in your first link. 100%, without even looking at any reference for it. Those answers were very simple, which again, I would surmise Trump would not know all of those questions.

The 1965 Alabama test: 59 out of 68, with some of them being falsely reported as false (ex.: "The state's governor" versus "governor").

But for all of the grandstanding that Trump has done for literacy/ideological tests, it would be great if he actually walked his walk as he talked his talk; again, something Khizr Khan called him out on.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The same thought occurred to me, but, with a different variation. There are 16 countries that are Commonwealth Realms out there. Would I have to acknowledge the Queen as my personal monarch in order to conduct business in one of them? IMHO-- ridiculous.

18. DearthnVader, Aug 18, 2016

DearthnVader

Literacy Tests were outlawed by the 1965 Voting Rights Act.

So, I don't think we could have a civics test to register to vote, without amending the Voting Rights Act, as it implies literacy. It leaves us in a situation where people who are ignorant of our system of Government are voting for who will run that Government, not wise.

I don't think it's 1965 anymore, I really don't think there are that many illiterate people out there that want to vote, we have the ability to make accommodations for a language barrier.

EDIT: I really should look things up before I put my foot in my mouth:

First of all, how the hell do you graduate High School without being able to read above a basic level?

Next, we can see, we can't amend the Voting Rights Act as 41% of the Illiterate are Hispanic, 24% are African American, 13% are Other, and 9% are White. Amending the Act to allow for a civics test would favor still White people.

I guess we'll have to put this on our K-12 school system failing us. Don't know basic civics? Can't Read on a 5th Grade Level? Vote for the candidate that takes millions of dollars from the Teacher's "Federation":