Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
I'm loving my new 40gig iPod (it's my first) though I had to send the original back because the metal and plastic began separating on one side. Anyway, I have some questions for experienced iPod users.

1.) It isn't clear from Apple's site if the iPod remote can be used with any set of headphones or if the headphones that come with it are permanently attached. Does the remote just connect to the iPod and then have a mini-jack on the other side to allow any headphones to connect?

2.) Is the iPod remote any good? Worth getting?

3.) I don't mind the headphones that came with the iPod, but I'm curious if the in-ear headphones actually sound better.

4.) Aside from the in-ears, does anyone have any high-recommendations for a pair of lightweight, great-sounding headphones?

Thanks,
Joe

C-Mezak

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
Edinburgh, Scotland
lem0nayde said:
1.) It isn't clear from Apple's site if the iPod remote can be used with any set of headphones or if the headphones that come with it are permanently attached. Does the remote just connect to the iPod and then have a mini-jack on the other side to allow any headphones to connect?
The remote controls are at the female end of a cable that you plug into your ipod. You can connect whatever headphones you like to it.
2.) Is the iPod remote any good? Worth getting?
Depends on your situation. I would definitely get it if I could afford it as I use my ipod while walking around the city. It would be safer and quicker to use the remote to change tracks or the volume rather than pulling my ipod out of my pocket/backpack.
3.) I don't mind the headphones that came with the iPod, but I'm curious if the in-ear headphones actually sound better.
There are good ones and bad ones. Over-ear headphones are probably the audiophile's choice, and equivalent sound quality is cheaper out of them, but in-ear phones are totally capable nowadays.
4.) Aside from the in-ears, does anyone have any high-recommendations for a pair of lightweight, great-sounding headphones?
Bose TriPort headphones are extremely light and they sound great. They are a bit fragile, though. But if your dumb enough to sit on your $150 headphones . . . I didnt deserve them anyway. :)

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
the remote is pretty expensive considering its limited functionality... personally, i wouldn't have bought one (i got mine with my ipod). however, if you like to keep your ipod in your bag/backpack/jacket/deep pocket, the remote may be good for you... personally the cord is just too long for me.. (it's some where around 4' + your headphone's cable) and i find it easier to just carry it around in my left hand with the hold switch on... but then again, i don't live in an area where i'm likely to get mugged; you may want to keep it "hidden"

reality

edit:
Mr. G4 said:
You mentioned that you have a 40 Gig...doesn't it come with the remote and dock?

the 3G 40gig did come with the remote, but when apple dropped the prices by $100 while introducing the 4G, they dropped the remote.. :/

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
remotes are useless.. I wish I'd live in US and sell my own remotes to you for 10 bucks. I just use them if I need waaaay longer cable, thats all, otherwise they stay in the box of my iPod..

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
iPods earphones are the best earphones I used ever... they sound great but they easily get damaged and start making cracky sounds just because I listen to music too loud (I increase the sound level from iTunes and listen those songs with highest setting in iPod) So they are a little fragile to loud music but have great sound quality...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.