A New rMBP on the way, but Confused About What all I Need

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HowBoutIt?, Dec 10, 2012.

1. HowBoutIt? macrumors member

I am not a techie, and what comes natural for some people is very confusing to me, but that does not mean I do not try to learn & comprehend as much as I can. My latest problem is understanding and knowing what I will need to order/purchase for a new rMBP from coming from Apple. I posted this type of post on apple.com but it was bombarded with a lot of replies like "the machine comes ready to use just buy it and don't worry about it." However in the research that I did, there seems to be a lot of differences between the older MBPs I am used to using and the latest rMBP. For example, I understand it does not allow you to use an ethernet cable if I find myself without a wireless connection. It has many new ports that I am not used to, in fact many of them I am not even sure how I would use them. I teach online courses for a university back East, and I would like to be able to set the rMBP up when it arrives, install a few programs that I need for the web platform, and do whatever else is required to set the printer up, the thunderbolt display, etc., so I am ready to have a successful course my first go-around using the rMBP. I would appreciate it if I could get some advice on what cables I will need, (what is the HDMI port used for? the thunderbolt display, which is coming with the rMBP) and the differences between the 2009 MBP I have been using, but is having major issues that are making it very difficult for me to get through a session without encountering some problems. I will deal with the MBP once I get the rMBP up, connected properly, and hopefully running like a gem.

I appreciate any help I can get, and I am aware that this is something I should not have to ask help with, but as I said, in researching the rMPB, some of the differences (ports, cables, inability to have a superdrive installed, etc.) confuse me and cause me concern when I do get the machine that I will have all I need to get up and running so I can do all that I need to do with my main computer. I should say I realize I can buy an external superdrive, but with the cables/ports wold I get USB 3.0 cables for the various connections or does it matter? Also, I have some issues with my internet connection so I have to be ready in case I lose the airport connection I will have to go to the ethernet connection.

Thanks for any advice/help.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can buy an adapter to use one of your thunderbolt ports as an ethernet port.

The HDMI port is for connecting straight to a HD TV without any adapters.

You can buy an external USB DVD drive should you need one.

That just about covers it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

rMBP - no optical drive better screen, no ethernet (but you can use a TB->ethernet adapter). The memory is soldered onto the logic board and you also get an HDMI port. The physical dimensions of the laptop is slightly thinner then the classic MBP.

cMBP - optical drive, traditional screen, ethernet port but no HDMI. Memory, and storage is upgradeable.

The bottom line is you like/need/want the retina screen then go for the rMBP, the cMBP is a great machine and offers its own set of advantages.

4. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

Yea I am very familiar with the cMBP. I have been using them for years. I am a little discouraged that one cannot configure the cMBP with more RAM than they offer. Is there any difference between the SSD and the Flash Drive? As far as connecting the Thunderbolt display to the rMBP, how is that done? The rMBP has USB 3.0 right? Would you suggest I stick using 2.0 just in case the printer I get does not accept 3.0 or is 3.0 pretty standard now?Is there anyway to use the HDMI cable to connect the Thunderbolt display to the rMBP?

As far as the cMBP, I was surprised that one cannot add more than 8 gb of RAM.

One final question is about the magSafe adapter. Does the rMBP have a new power adapter?

5. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

Yes, the Retina uses the new, thinner MagSafe 2.

6. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

Red-
    In adding accessories to a rMBP I see several MagSafe adaptors. do you know what these are for if the rMBP comes with the right power adaptor? Just in case one wants to use an older MagSafe?

How does the Thunderbolt Display connect to the rMBP. Would it be best to use the thunderbolt connection? does this cable come with the thunderbolt Display?

thanks