Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
I gotta buy a new DVD burner tomorrow for my second drive bay in my G4 MDD(my AO4 is just plain old and slow) And I realized that most drives are both dvd-r and dvd+r

My question is two fold: what is the extent of +r support in Panther... i know what the reports say, i just wanna know about your personal experiences
with the +r scenario and does toast 6 support it

Also, what +r and -r drives have you guys (and girls) had the best experiences with?

laserbeahm

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
Central Valley, CA
Let me know how it goes. I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my MD G4. Also, I was wondering how that works using the keyboard. Do you have to assign another key to open the second drive? Or do you hit shift+eject or something?

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
A new Superdrive!!!

Originally posted by steeleclipse
I gotta buy a new DVD burner tomorrow for my second drive bay in my G4 MDD (my AO4 is just plain old and slow)
Also, what +r and -r drives have you guys (and girls) had the best experiences with?
PIONEER, and your timing probably could not be much better... 8x is here. For an internal, check with MacMall for a good price:
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/sear...1.y=13&CurDSN=simple&calledfrom=1&incimage=on

Pioneer
Mfr. Part No. DVR-A07
Your Price: $209.00

8x DVD-/+R/RW Combo Internal EIDE Drive
The reliable performance and superior functions of Pioneer's DVD recording products have earned the respect and trust of customers

Only 4x media are available, and look for a spindle of 25-50 to add to your order, white printable if you have an Epson CD/DVD printer.

I was in Fry's Electronics today, and their price was $229 plus tax for the DVR-A07 internal.

Plextor would be my 2nd choice, stats are good.
External? LaCie d2 DVD/CD burner for $249 including full version of Roxio Toast 6 (worth $89)

Attachments

• 384641_lg.jpg
    384641_lg.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 519

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
I have an external USB2/Firewire 2.4x DVD+R/RW drive from HP. From personal experience the newer firmwares and newer burning suites make either +/- a viable solution. Panther doesnt nativily support my burner but Toast 6 has no problems. The discs I produce with it work fine in all my players, and in every DVD-ROM drive I have tested. Its well known that newer +R/RW drives are compatible with more third party products. Oh and BTW ... no Xbox or PS2 is going to read a burned disc without being chipped, it's part of the security and DRM stuff. But as for DVD players, I have a cheap Sanyo and a high end Pioneer, both run +R discs just fine. Anything purchased in the last 2 years is going to play +R. Now on the +RW front I have had some problems with those, but with the added features of on the fly file updates, and being able to add/delete files into/from the middle of a disc (w/o doing anything to the rest of the DVD) leaves me to believe that for now +RW should remain in the computer-only realm. BUT, when I converted a Divx movie over to DVD and burned to a +RW my Powerbook had no problems reading it as a DVD movie and it started playing automatically. So in conclusion while neither is really BETTER than the other your best bet is to get a DVD-/+R/RW drive so you can do it all. If you have any questions just leave them here and Ill get back to you as soon as I can.

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
Native support is my biggest issue...

Does anybody know if the A06 has native support in Panther? ie: iApp functionality

Also, someone wrote a script for a Sony DRU 510 to work with iApps... would a DRU 500 work if i changed the 510 in the script to 500?

vashim66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
+R discs do not work in any of my players (PS2 included), or my gf's players.

That's weird, +R works great in my PS2 as well as -R. Im using Ritek discs, which are widely considered to be one of the best brands. Haven't had one failed burn in over 150 discs.

no Xbox or PS2 is going to read a burned disc without being chipped, it's part of the security and DRM stuff

This only applied to burned PS2 and XBOX GAMES, not burned movies. They can both play burned movies right out of the box with no modifications.

for Mac just use DVDBackup, DVDtooneX, and toast.
For PC, just use DVD Shrink, and nero.

I can read +R on my powerbook's writer (running 10.3), but it only writes -R.

krimson

macrumors 65816
i've tested a few +R discs in my ps2, and none of them have worked.. it might be that it's one of the first sets to be sold in the US, so it's not new enough to be able to read it. Maybe yours is a new model? My friend uses Memorex dvd+r's, so that might be it.

But -R's work in every player i've tested, so ill just be sticking to those. For the time being.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.