Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniviva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
hi, guys~

I am a newbie in the Mac World.
I have a simple question here:
How can I uninstall a software completely??just simply throw the folder into the trash??

actually, I got a problem with window media player, I try to uninstall it by throwing it into the trash, but when I empty the trash, it says some files are locked, can't be deleted; so i go to the "get info" menu of that folder, and find that the "locked" option is disable, which means I can't "unlock" it.
As a result , I can't delete the folder, and it just stays in my trash..anyone can help me?
Thanks!!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
launch the finder, type in the name of the program and it will pull up the apps and all related files and you can completely delete them from your computer.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
To clarify that, yoda13 means when you're in the Finder, either hit Command-F to bring up the Find Files window (or whatever it's called), or just open a Finder window, make sure your hard drive is selected, and type your search query into the little text box in the upper right corner.

But you are correct for the most part, dragging the folder (or often it's just a single application package, meaning it looks like a single file) to the trash will get rid of it. Most programs don't leave anything behind besides a preference file, though some leave a folder in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.