A nurse was fired for refusing to get her flu shot

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 29, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nurse-fired-refusing-get-flu-shot-now-people-angry-171932964.html
    hope she sues and wins.........

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's not clear why they agreed to religious exemptions for some people but not others.

But either way, all healthcare workers should be vaccinated.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It’s no guarantee, but as a minimum I expect it reduces her chances of infecting her patients.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

flu is a crap shoot, they guess which strain might show up and go from there.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Good. Anyone who works around sick people should be vaccinated against everything there is unless there is a legitimate medical reason why they can't.

7. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

These shots things is become ridiculous these days. Can’t go to school before you get this shot. I have my doubts about these shots people are being injected with these days

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

how about overloading your body with vaccines and making your body feel like crap?

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We let Sikh motorcyclists not wear helmets, therefore I think we should allow a religious exemption here.

10. kapolani macrumors 6502

I swear that my class that went through training was tested on.

It was weird. For 3 days we were sent to this facility somewhere in san diego and had all kinds of tests done on us. EKG's, ECGs, gait tests, and shots.

I never did find out what the shots were. They said some were vitamins and some were to keep us from getting sick from the Tijuana sludge that would be in the water we trained in.

Some guys got sick from the testing. I didn't have any affects, but did feel out of sorts for some time.

I used to get flu shots at one time, but you're right, it's not a guarantee that you won't get sick. I do, however, feel as a health care provider you should be inoculated.

11. Huntn, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Some where, there is a religion that dictates god does not approve of vaccines?

12. A.Goldberg, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Generally speaking in these situations hospital employees who refuse flu vaccines are required to wear protective masks at all times. This has been the policy at every hospital I’ve worked for. Frankly, I think it’s pretty hard to be a nurse and refuse required immunizations- which are usually more extensive than the general population.

As a healthcare provider, if you can’t comply with immunization protocols based on philosophical grounds, you’ve picked the wrong career. Failure to vaccinate can greatly increase the risk of the volnerable patient population- which tends to be pretty high in hospitals.

I don’t like to see anyone fired, but this anti-vax nonsense needs to stop. Unless you have a medical condition that precludes you from vaccinations (in which case you probably shouldn’t/wouldn’t be able to be working in hospitals), I believe you should be required to comply.

There was a report several years ago stating the vaccination rate of children in the wealthy suburbs of LA were less than that of a South Sudan. Absolutely mind bogggling...
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2018 ---
    My thoughts exactly. Perhaps Christian Science and those that believe in “faith healing” over modern evidence based medicine? Perhaps they should do a study on the efficacy of faith healing versus modern medicine.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2018 ---
    You can’t “overload” your body with vaccines. That’s a myth that’s been debunked numerous times. Even if there was some substance to that, a once yearly flu shot is not going to overwhelm you considering your body is in a 24/7/365 battle with pathogens. Some people may feel slightly under the weather after a flu shot, that’s an immune reaction that lasts a couple days (if at all). Flu shots cannot “cause” the flu. Whatever slight illness you may feel is far less severe and far less dangerous than the flu itself. In studies people actually had no greater mild “flu like symptoms” than placebo injections (ie saline injections). The only exception to this is some nasal and respiratory congestion with the use of the intranasal flu vaccine, which is seldom used and if I’m not mistaken not reccomended this year. Generally the only reaction people have are injection site irritation (redness, localized soreness, etc). This has largely been mitigated over the years using smaller (technically larger... larger means smaller) gauge needles.

13. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Religious exemption? Give me a break. What's her religion, New Age?

Flu shots aren't perfect but they are effective when enough people get them. In a hospital setting it's a no-brainer. Flu shots help protect vulnerable populations like the elderly, children, and immunocompromised patients. For a healthcare worker to refuse one is selfish and should be grounds for termination.

14. jkcerda, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Why? The f you are NOT sick WHY should you be terminated? Even with the shot some STILL get the flu. Do they get fired?

EDIT, had to fix "shot" as I was autocorrected.....

15. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Why would you get fired for getting sick if you took every sensible precaution to prevent getting sick?

The flu shot is only really effective when it's widely used. If it prevents, say, 50% of infections, then that is 50% fewer people spreading infections around, and the effect is magnified in the whole population. This is especially important in healthcare settings where infections spread quickly.

As a healthcare worker, refusing to take precautions to protect the patient population is irresponsible and antithetical to the job. Maybe she can get a job at a New Age conspiracy theory YouTube channel or something?

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What religion and did the nurse provide citations from said religious texts that flu vaccines are a no-no?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2018 ---
    No but the hospital is trying to protect their immunocompromised patients. If your loved one has cancer and receiving chemo we generally recommend the immediate family get flu shots. You can spread the virus before you become symptomatic and for those patients it's NOT good.

17. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

lol you're about 10-20 years too early with that info. People are still buying the vaccine propaganda like it's Black Friday at Walmart.

If the precedent was already set that she was given the exemption, she's obviously going to win the case. IMO the thread should be more about the woman being wrongfully dismissed by her employer rather than a herd call for the Pro-Vaxxers.

18. Huntn, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Do you also support parents who refuse to get their kids vaccinated? It’s ok with me as long as they keep their kids home. I’d expect a nurse to be with the vaccination program unless there is a specific medical reason they can’t get one. And there is no overriding religious reason, that I know of.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1. YES, they are YOUR kids, not the GOVTs
    2. not as long as they pay taxes like everyone else they are free to move around the country
    3. she was previously exempted and wrongfully terminated here.

20. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

As a healthcare worker I have received so many vaccinations I've lost count. I've even had to have special ones because of my time in the NICU. If you are working in healthcare and refuse vaccinations for silly reasons and put the welfare of your patients at risk then you should probably seek out another profession.

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The religious exemptions for vaccinations are really strange. They don't exempt penicillin, or any other kind of medical treatment. I can't imagine some god telling his people "you can get medical care, just don't let them give you anything that might prevent a fatal illness or something you could spread to the rest of the world."

As for the nurse in question - I don't want her treating me if she hasn't done all she can.

22. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Back in the old days people had long lived without vaccinations. I think there is no guarantee with medications these days. They give you medicine for high blood pressure only to find out it gives you cancer later.

23. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Back in the old days people died from cancer, pneumonia, and a host of other diseases that are treatable today. Let's not even mention those diseases that while not necessarily fatal, have been pretty much wiped out like polio.

If you're a betting man - skip the vaccines. But stay away from the rest of us.

24. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

Anyone who can provide a source is probably pulling it out of their derriere, since vaccination is relatively new to human history.

The ban on cotton/poly blend, that existed way back in biblical times. Leviticus 19:19. I refused to wear a uniform that was 60/40 cotton polyester blend back when I was a tech. For on religious reasons:rolleyes:, so I claimed. But in truth, because it itches.:p