A PC cube!?!? say its not so....

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
This cube will ironically fail for the same reasons.

1) It's too expensive
2) it isn't expandable (a real no-no in the PC world).

(Not to mention that it's ugly as a naked Steve Ballmer.)

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
The bias I see is that the author of the article simply equates the fact that since the cube was made by apple it was doomed to faliure.

Many say the cube did fail. I however have one and I enjoy it. As do many cube owners. It was a niche product.
Since apple products often fall under more scrutiny than any other pc maker, many felt that it was a poor product, because of its un-ability to upgrade. However, it really needs no upgrades.
Albeit, it was slightly overpriced, I still feel it got bad press.

The irony of the situation (and the reason I posted the article) is b/c a PC maker has essentially copied the Cube's design in many ways and now all-of-the-sudden it's "a good idea"

DarkNovaMatter

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2001
Hmmm, looks more like a rectangle than a cube, besides it has a fan, although on the ports they weretrying to replicat the bottom of a cube. The only reason why they have more is beacuse pc's still use parralell and the others like it.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Hmm

I think if you add a cube Radeon to the G4 Cube you maych it's connectivity (besides dumb crap like parallel of corce). The video ports were a nice youtch, although they should've added some more PCI slots to make it a true cube form factor. It's a PC, it sucks don't buy it. (?)

Whatever (ho-hum product)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
expandability

the cube did fail because of its high price, that i can agree with

but as a mac and pc tech, i don't see very many people outside of gamers, who really care about the expandability though

and the gamers i know (in silicon valley) buy or build new computers just as readily as they expand them so the cube didn't die because of its lack of expandability

i also don't think gamers not buying the cube killed its sales by that much

...the cube was just too much to begin with

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Well, I think we all agree that pricing killed the cube, but I think expandability also had something to do with it even if it was only a "perceived" weakness.

The major purchasers of G4 machines are graphic designers. And almost every graphic designer I know has at least one SCSI device that they still like to use (thus taking up the PCI slot).

In all likelihood, those folks will never expand beyond that (or maybe a video card), but why take that risk when you can go ahead and pick up a tower for about the same price?

The PC crowd is even more programmed to think that they need a bunch of slots for things like video, ethernet, modems, etc.

Specifically, with the PC cube in the article, it only has 1 PCI slot and the onboard video chip is absolute crap! Therefore, just to make the machine usable, the slot needs to be filled with a decent video card.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
perception is important and does drive sales and maybe you are right

i have a client who raves about his roomful of macs (G3s and G4s) with extra slots yet he has not even used one of them in many years

but he did finally break down and buy a cube and now he says he never needed anything else...so go figure