A Premature Ethics Departure - Fed Ethics Chief Steps Down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 6, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

An Obama appointee leaving the White House... shocker.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well let's be clear here. Everyone in this position serves 5 years - to overlap transitions. Obama appointee or not - do you think he has done a good job and has had valid issues raised?

And as noted - he had 6 months left. Not years. The article might be pointed - but it seemed as though there were frustrations he had. But he also seemed to resign on a positive note.

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The man started his tenure under Bush and only became director when Obama was in office. He's not an appointee. Nice try.

That said, there have been an inordinate number of career government people resigning since Trump took office. Most because he and his minions interfere with their jobs. That's not normal.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

"Directors are appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate to five-year terms"

I'm sorry what was that you were saying?

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

He was 1/2 right. I think the point was - he didn't come out of thin air. He was already in the department. He was, indeed, appointed by Obama. To which I ask - so what? Does that make him less qualified? As I asked earlier - do you think he's done a good job? And I'll add - if not, what have you disagreed with?

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Not really.
    Trump was something totally new in the matter of wealth and types of businesses in a global scale. Walter was stuck, or maybe trapped in the old "style" and looked to be unable to realistically address these new items. His stance was "tighten up" vs. finding a path forward. There will be other "Trump" candidates in the future. Walter had an opportunity to help create new guides for the "next four decades".
    His leaving is no surprise.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/06/53578...shaub-resigns-saying-rules-need-to-be-tougher

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Seems to me that his next gig is something to help move that forward no?

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Could be.
    I can't even contemplate what it would have taken to "divest" DT (not that he was required to do so) without having significant negative impact personally and economically.

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It doesn't and I never said anything with regards to his qualifications.
    I'm sure he was wonderful at his job. I do believe his political views are the motivating reason he left.
    He didn't like how Trump dealt with his business affairs prior to taking office.

What he failed to recognize, and what so many others on the left do as well, is that Trump himself IS the brand.
    Selling the physical assets without the brand would have destroyed a large portion of the value.
    And no President would ever sell the rights to his name to anyone. So all of Trump's properties would instantly lose significant value without the Trump brand behind it.

I now there are some snarky folks who would disagree simply because of who Trump is, but the Trump organization would be worth a lot less without the Trump brand.
    Trump is an anomaly in the world or presidential politics. But there is no law whatsoever that requires or even compels a president to divest himself of his own business.
    Investments are one thing, but his company is all his.

There are rules with regard to his behavior that could pose legal issues, but the POTUS and VPOTUS are exempt from ethics rules. That is the law. Don't agree with it or like, but it is what it is. Congress can change those laws if they had the balls to try.
    As for potential emoluments violations, that argument regarding his properties is weak at best.
    Trump cannot prevent foreign government from using his properties.
    He can get into serious trouble if he personally directs them to use his properties and sets rates that are "abnormal" or above and beyond standard rates.

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I disagree at least with the last part. Because of optics. Foreign governments will use his properties because it's good optics. It's hard to prove - but even during one of the tours - many of them said they would intentionally stay there (in DC) because they would feel it would offend if they didn't. Sorry - but I see that as an issue.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Well then Donnie needs to publicly say it's cool of they want to stay elsewhere and that they shouldn't feel obligated in any way.
    Beyond that, there's not much else he can do.

In reality though, the D.C. hotel is very nice and in a great location for visiting dignitaries.
    Trump picked that property for a reason. He knew it's potential long before he decided to run for POTUS.

13. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Looking back over some older headlines in regards to this issue, it is amazing that almost 100% of the Washington ethics experts went in assuming that self policing by Trump and Trump family members would fail. "There will be violations and this is what could be the impact ...". No room for any other outcome. Just the severity.
    Remarkable.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    It is a seriously nice place.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Oh you know he'll never say that. He would say something like "You can stay somewhere else. But really why would you? This is a very nice hotel, don't you think? There are other hotels - but not as nice as this one..." lol

15. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

And he would be right.
    I saw it when I was in D.C. a couple of months ago. It looks fantastic and again... location, location, location.

16. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You missed the point though ;) Or the joke. In other words - he couldn't possible suggest another hotel. His ego would not allow it. Even if his hotel suffered in comparison.

17. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Or culturally. Even if DT offered they would not consider it.
    Then business wise; "I stayed at (enter DT property) last week ..." using this as a business "fact" to show you are close to or have an in with the Trump org.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I got it :D... but in this case, he would actually be right.

19. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The man started there under GW and was essentially promoted from within. Just as good a chance that he might have been a Bush man, as an Obama man. It still stands. Trump is corrupt and an idiot and is driving many good civil servants out of the government because of his idiocy.

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

No, he wasn't "promoted from within".
    He had to be nominated by POTUS (Executive branch) and approved by the Senate (Legislative branch) to get that spot. That defies the very definition of "promoted from within".

Your opinion of Trump is irrelevant.