A Proud owner of MAcbook Pro who is still learning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frenly, Oct 24, 2007.

1. frenly macrumors newbie

frenly

Hi guys,

I just bought my mac yesterday and i am a proud owner of a macbook pro. I have few noob questions to ask

1. How do i uninstall an application ? For example firefox? i found out safari is much better than firefox?
    2. How do i copy and paste a word obtain from the internet? On windows we use to press CTRL C n CTRL R? how bout on MAC?
    3. What application can vieal all rmvb file? Real Player? I had a real player but unable to open the file? How bout real alternative? can u provide me the link? any codec to download?
    4. By default do mac have any winzip application installed (Windows) ? any recommandartion to unzip the file?

i think i will stop at the moment till i encounter some problem with my mac

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

1. Drag the application to the trash.
    2. Copy/Cut/Paste is COMMAND-C/X/V. The command key is the one with either the apple symbol and/or a four-leaf-clover-squiggle (depending on which keyboard you've got).
    3. Rename the file so it has the extension .rm. RealPlayer should accept it then.
    4. Ctrl-click on the file and select "make archive of..." will make a .zip file.

There tend to be more compressed formats for the Mac than there are for the PC. The OS X handles most of them natively (including .zip), but I recommend "The Unarchiver" for the others.

SL

3. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

Locate the App in your Applications folder and drag it to the trash. It is also a good idea to Spotlight the filename to see if any related files remain.

A cleaner solution is to use un-installing software such as AppZapper. Don't try and drag AppZapper into itself though, you will create a hole in the space-time continuum.

Replace most CTRL functions with CMD (Command or 'Apple Key'). So copy and paste is CMD+C, CMD+V

The OS X version of VLC does a very good job at playing obscure video types.

StuffIt comes as standard with all Macs if I recall. You can 'zip' or archive a file by right clicking and selecting 'Create Archive of...'.

:)

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Stuffit isn't bundled anymore, but support for .zip and other formats is now built into OS X. For the formats that aren't supported, The Unarchiver is more elegant than stuffit... and free.

5. frenly thread starter macrumors newbie

frenly

Thanks for the information
    by the way it is possible to change the icon below the destop?
    n and free application similar to microsoft word or excel?
    by the way, i have dopod 838pro and i would like to sync my contact n calender to my new mac? what software do i need to download that have similar act as activesync

6. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

Thanks for the heads up on this, I've replaced StuffIt now. :D