A question about credit and ID monitoring (Adobe sent me the letter about the hack)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jessica Lares, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

This isn't a great place to ask about credit scores and financial stuff in general, but I'm sure there's a few that *might* know the answer to this, and I'm sure there are others wondering the same thing...

So yesterday I got a letter (in my actual mailbox at home) from Adobe about the hack apologizing for it. They gave me information on signing up for a service to monitor my credit score and for identity theft.

Now here's my question, I'm already signed up for a general credit score monitoring service because I have a Capital One credit card. And it allows me to report when I see something fishy in my monthly report.

Do I benefit from signing up for the service that they're directing me to, when I'm already actively monitoring on my own?

According to the letter, I have until next year to decide whether to sign up or not.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see the need for these services. I get a notification for every transaction in my banking app for checking, savings and credit cards.

Americans are entitled to a free credit report each year from each of the 3 credit reporting companies. Smart consumers get one every 4 months.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They have to offer some sort of credit monitoring when they have a breach. If you are already confident in your credit monitoring methods then stick with them. There is no reason to spend your days and night watching your credit like a hawk. Simple alerts, checking balances of cards and bank accounts, and pulling your report at least once a year is quite useful. If Cap One is taking care of the monitoring of everything then I wouldn't bother with what Adobe is offering. Be sure that Cap One is watching everything, not just their own card services.

Also, organizations mail the letters in lieu of using any electronic format because it covers them in the event someone states they weren't notified of the breach and they were damaged as a result. Adobe can say that they mailed the letter to the address on file and that is the end of it. Luckily, many who use Adobe products do not live under large rocks and hear of the breaches long before the letters are drafted and mailed. It is a good thing they're mailed though, for you and for Adobe.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What happens if someone opens a line of credit/credit card under your name. You'll not be notified since its a new line of credit. I think these services are useful in this day and age. Its but one tool to help monitor and safeguard your credit.

5. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Thanks guys. Just to state some stuff...

Capital One gave me free access to a site that updates my score every month. It scans all of the three major credit bureaus, and shows all my accounts and not just theirs.

I've always checked it every month since I've gotten it just to make sure nothing is happening since I do have lots of accounts with my credit card info on file. Same thing with my cards. I have daily alerts, and then I get notices the moment a transaction is made. Someone actually DID try and charge my debit card back in June and I had to get a new card.

I get why they send these letters out. I just wanted a second opinion and not only the answer of my 24 year-old brain. :eek:

So I'll just stick to what I have then. I don't want yet another website with my REALLY personal information on it.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree. I subscribe to one.