A question about os updating with home folders not on the boot drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koopa35, Jun 13, 2009.

1. koopa35 macrumors 6502

I have a vertex ssd as my main disk. i only have os and native apps on it. I moved all of my user folders to my second drive which is a 250gb. that also houses all my other apps.

now when its time to update to 10.5.8 will i have a problem with it since the home folders arent on my start up drive? what would be the best thing for me to do with my current setup when it comes to reinstalling and updating the os?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As you may have set up in Accounts > Advanced Options, that your home directory is on another volume, there shouldn't be a problem updating the system, as the system is still on the boot drive, and seldom if not never is your home directory participated in a system update.

As for backing up: I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my start up disk, so it is bootable, and use Time Machine to backup my home directory, which is on another partition.

PS: a more descriptive thread title will give your more hits, therefore more possible answers, and later generations of forum visitors will have a better way to find your thread, if they would use MRoogle.

3. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you for your response. so ccc would work best for my start up disk and tmachine will be better form my second drive? do you clone your start up disk to another drive as well? if i ever need to reinstall would i use ccc to do so?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I use CCC to clone my MBP's start up disk to an external 2.5" HDD using USB, so that in the event of a crash, the external disk is bootable (via USB or replacing the internal drive).

As CCC does incremental backups, it will allow for weekly or daily updates without writing the whole disk over and over again.

I use TM for backing up my home folder, as it allows me do go back on different versions of some files I edit, so TM is the better way of backing up for me.
    But if TM gives me the finger again, as it did in the days of 10.5.0 to 10.5.5, I will use CCC for backing up my home directory.