a question before i buy a new iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by verseafterverse, Mar 23, 2013.

1. verseafterverse macrumors member

hey i was wondering i have a iphone 4 and want to get the 5 will the 5 drop or people dump them when the 5s or 6 comes out enough to where its worth buying one after i sell my 4 being new to the iphone world

2. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Umm depends what you want? If your iPhone 4 is working well and you can wat for the June announcement then I would recommend it, but the iPhone 5 is a fantastic phone and you won't be disappointed.

Up to you.

3. Chris092881, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

Chris092881 macrumors 6502

People that are fanatical about having the newest gadget will probably upgrade to the 5S, so there will definitely be deals to be had as they will be selling their 5's to help cover the cost of the 5S. But most people that committed to the 5, I think, will stand pat. At this point just wait until June/July for the 5S to be released, then make a decision. The 5 will probably be a bit cheaper on contract then, too. But, really, I doubt aside from new colors, a better camera, iOS 7, and maybe NFC, there will be a notable difference. It's an S version after all. The iPhone 6 will be the one to watch for. And most people that got the 5 at launch will be close to being due to upgrade (2 years) when the 6 is released. Assuming past timelines are any indicator.

4. verseafterverse thread starter macrumors member

my only thing is it would have to be unlocked for use with tmobile or another non contract provider

5. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

If you need an unlocked version they are usually released about a month after the carrier versions. Someone can feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong.

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

No way 5S will be launched in June/July. iOS 7, yes, but that's it. 5S in the sept/oct time frame.

7. simply stunning macrumors regular

IOS 7 wont be released in June/July either. Your thinking of the preview of it. It releases in the fall, and has for a few years to my knowledge. I would agree we aren't going to see a new phone till fall, but I don't see IOS7 coming out till then either.

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You're right. And that's what I meant....iOS 7 will be previewed. And then released with the hardware in the fall. It's the way it's been. We'd have to see a special event for iOS 7 in the next week or so if a new phone was coming in June.

9. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Says there won't be a "noticeable difference" whilst listing a load of new features...

10. Chris092881, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013

Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Well, us iPhone 5 users can upgrade to iOS 7. The camera would be nice to have, but not for $650 off contract. NFC is moot for me personally. And I don't need a pink, light blue, or lime green iPhone. But hey, you go ahead and enjoy your magenta iPhone

11. dvoros macrumors 6502

new iPhone

I would seriously look somewhere else. The iPhone 5 is passe and the iPhone 5s will be a worthless purchase. Look at the Samsung Galaxy 4 or the HTC One for a worthy purchase.:)

12. BoostDeuce macrumors member

i think the 5s will just improve a small amount on the 5, mainly adding minor features.

i got the 5 now so in 20 months when its time to upgrade, the 6 will be new

13. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I ask because I'm tempted to get myself an iPhone 5 at the end of next month and I'm trying to sum up how disappointed I'd be once the 5S comes out.