A Question Concerning the Launch of the new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nebulance, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Nebulance macrumors 6502

Nebulance

Hi all,

So first off, I've searched around here and didn't seem to find a related thread for my question.

I've got a 3GS, and I intend on upgrading to the new one whenever pre-orders start (hopefully next week). I have an upgrade waiting with AT&T... do I have to pre-order through them, or can I do it through Apple?

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can do either, based on your comfort level. If you go through apple they'll communicate with ATT and see that you have an upgrade available to buy it at the subsidized price.

Personally, if I'm not switching carriers, I go through apple. This year I may opt to to VZW thanks to their robust network

3. Nebulance thread starter macrumors 6502

Nebulance

Thanks, I think I'll do it through Apple online... I'm just a bit worried about AT&T's availability for pre-order for some reason.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have good reason to be concerned. They've had some problems in the past with fulfilling orders, and/or having the site available to place the order

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Some have also suggested using Apple's App Store App to order as it has been less congested & laggy than websites in the past.

6. Nebulance thread starter macrumors 6502

Nebulance

ah, I see... thanks for the input! It looks like I'll go with Apple here. I'm mainly sticking with AT&T because of the ability to browse while talking, as it's come in handy quite a bit for me. Plus all those rollover minutes I have...

7. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Considering how the Apple website will be consuming our F5 keys, you never know, ATT's website might be your choice. The only reason they had problems in the past was because they were the exclusive carrier, we know now they're not.

I think I recalled last year where people didn't have a problem ordering the 4S. Considering how the Apple website would cater to 3 separate carriers, don't you think internet traffic would be worst on their end?

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Download the Apple Store app to your 3GS and pre-order from there

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Last year AT&T was smooth sailing and Apple had glitches. It's hard to predict.

10. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Just a heads up I think that no matter which carrier as long as the next iPhone has 4g lte you will be able to browse/talk at the same time.

11. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

As long as you are in an LTE coverage area. If not, you'll fall back to 3G and the associated limits.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Some have mentioned having 2 windows open on their CPU: 1 with their cellular provider and 1 with apple and going with the one that goes thru first

13. Nebulance thread starter macrumors 6502

Nebulance

Thanks for the suggestions, I have the apple store app on my phone, so I'll probably be looking at each website and the app, just to be safe!

14. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

^This is really good to know! I'm sticking with at&t anyway because I don't want to pay more on vzw.

15. Nebulance thread starter macrumors 6502

Nebulance

One other thing I just realised... how is the situation with delivery? Do they require your signature? I'll be out of town the week it's delivered, and was going to have a colleague pick it up for me as I'm having it delivered to the office. Will this be an issue?