A question for Romney supporters...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jul 16, 2012.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

In reading over these threads the last few months, I have seen some people who seem to be falling all over themselves to vote for Romney and who seem to want to look the other way on his many many etch-a-sketch flip flops, blatant lies, lack of financial transparency and even some things that don't square away with documents filed and his own past words. It seems like just because he has a little (R) next to his name, that he automatically gets their vote. Even when he has historically adopted some ideas and policies more associated with a (D) which I find strange for Republicans to accept now.

So, for those Romney supporters, I have a question. What would Romney have to do to lose your vote? Anything? Does anything cross a line for you? Or anything in his past that would give you pause and make you have second thoughts?

I don't want this to get into a debate between the two candidates, there are plenty of threads here on that. I just want to know if there is anything that Romney could do or say now, or anything in his past that would make you realize you couldn't vote for him any longer. Because in reading some post by some people, it seems like there isn't anything. Is that really the case?

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well I can't speak for Romney supporters, but the policies (such as Mass health care) are easy to explain.

He doesn't think that they should be done at the federal level, and that those policies are reserved for the states and states alone. It's really not contradictory or unreasonable at all to be quite honest. If you believe in a conservative interpretation of the Constitution, than you recognize that such policies are within the scope of the state, and not the federal government.

And if you have a more liberal interpretation, than you can justify the federal government taking over such policies.

Hope that cleared things up for you regarding that issue. :)

3. DakotaGuy, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I say people can vote for whoever they want and it's up to them, not what others think.

4. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Cookies

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Except the fact that Romney was touting it as a model for healthcare on a federal level until he flip flopped on the issue, like he has on virtually every major issue.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Romney Supporters?

I've never met a Romney Supporter-- only Obama haters. The Romney campaign is built on the foundation that Romney is not Obama. That alone is enough to win in certain states, but, in others such as Florida and Ohio, massive Citizens United spending will be required-- and is coming, I'm sure.

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

If that is the case then the Constitution is getting in the way of social development.

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

Hold on...I'm going to open the flood gates...

9. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Let them say what they want.

10. ugahairydawgs, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

For people that want the President voted out of office, Romney is the candidate we're stuck with....not the one we want. The meat grinder that is the public vetting process for potential candidates is always going to push away quality choices due to the fact that they don't want to subject themselves or their families to the unrelenting pressure cooker that goes with running for office.

If I could have hand picked a candidate it would have been Gov Mitch Daniels, but he didn't want to put his family through it. So now we're stuck with Romney. The only silver lining for the nominee being Romney is that at least it isn't Christie, Cain, Santorum, Bachmann, or Ron Paul. I think Rick Perry would have run a good race, but he never got a chance after those chemically induced abysmal debate performances.

11. iJohnHenry, Jul 17, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Of course it is.

It is revered (in the U.S.), right up there with the Bible, the Talmud and the Qur'an.

All "intractable" documents, with little or zero change allowed.

When did it become Holy Scripture?? :rolleyes:

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

It's only contradictory if you listen to his previous statements :)

Here's a video in support of applying the Massachusetts penalty to a national level.

Here is a transcript of a debate in 2008 where he says the following:
    And here is an opinion article he wrote in 2009:
    He took these positions because President Obama originally campaigned in 2008 on a single-payer system. Romney touted his Massachusetts mandate plan as a better national model. Only since President Obama capitulated and included the mandate did Romney flop and promote state-only solutions.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Again- stop with posting facts. Conservatives are extremely upset by reality.

Never mind the fact that Perry is looney tunes.

14. gibbz macrumors 68030

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Paul Bradford, The Dungeonmaster

15. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

True.

Especially the reality of how Obama has improved the economy, reduced unemployment below 8%, improved the business growth environment, brought total transparency to the government, and brought everyone together into a state of peace, tranquility and general bliss.

Those are the realities I can really sink my teeth into.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

That sounds like the 2008 election.

A vote for McCain is vote for 4 more years of Bush.

A vote for Obama is, "he's not Bush".

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who is denying any of Obama's faults? Who here is doing that?

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Don't overlook that he did win the Nobel Prize for Peace Drones.

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think he took that prize money and invested in war in Libya and Uganda. Syria is after the election.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Plus, I'm still waiting for an answer to the OP's question. Can any of you conservatives answer? Why is it so difficult?

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Romney has an opportunity to become the most important figure in the modern history of the Republican party. Romney, at times, has been a very reasonable, pragmatic and effective leader. I don't suspect he is independently homophobic, racist or sexist, but in order to win the primary, he had to pander to the far right. I think Romney could nominate a homosexual, a minority, and/or a female and push the idea that the GOP, under his leadership, will not continue its homophobic, racist and sexist agendas. It would almost guarantee a third party run by someone like Santorum or Palin; a 2012 loss for Romney; but in the larger context, give the GOP the reset it desperately needs and a chance to be the majority party in 2014 and 2016.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

At work.

23. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Nice :D

24. gibbz, Jul 17, 2012

gibbz macrumors 68030

Can you name me one President who has "brought everyone together into a state of peace, tranquility and general bliss"? Perhaps, instead, we should be intellectually honest about the realities of what the economic situation was 3.5 years ago and where it is now.

I'd say he improved the economy by any sane measure of the word.
    [​IMG]

Now, are the past few months great? No. However, we aren't hemorrhaging jobs, we are gaining. In fact, we have regained all lost private-sector jobs from the recession that occurred since President Obama took office.

You mention the magical 8%. Under Obama, the public sector has shed ~600,000 jobs. This has occurred largely because of the Republican's wish to adopt austerity and refusal to take action on the President's job plan. If these jobs hadn't been cut from the government, the unemployment rate would actually be below 8%.

This ties into the OP's point. You have a candidate that can't run against the President on health care (see previous post) or weak foreign policy. That only leaves the economy. Why would the GOP leaders want the economy to improve when that is the only thing Romney can run on? Those who don't want Obama in office are left with this candidate, and I would bet there really isn't much he could do to switch their vote.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But yet you have plenty of time for trolling and snark, right?