A question for those that got the AT&T unlock for their iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viperGTS, Jun 10, 2012.

1. viperGTS, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

viperGTS macrumors 65816

I plan on buying an AT&T 4S on eBay, then have one of my friends who is on AT&T get the unlock for me (what a great friend!).

Anyways, my question is rather trivial, but, after restoring and getting the unlock, does the Carrier info change from "AT&T 12.0" to "Carrier 12.0?"
    Or whatever number should be there?

Again, very trivial, but I want all AT&T influence gone from the phone. Thanks in advance! :)

2. Daveoc64, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No.

The iPhone sold all over the world - unlocked or locked to a carrier uses identical firmware (and the devices themselves are identical).

The firmware contains the latest Carrier Settings bundle for every officially supported carrier (about 244).

The iPhone selects the Carrier Settings file based on the SIM that is inserted into the phone.

An AT&T SIM will always be recognised as such, no matter where the iPhone was bought or whether the device is unlocked or not.

Apple's model means that carriers (as long as they are "officially supported") always have a level of control over the iPhone.

3. soulvoid macrumors member

Correct on the carrier info. I did a unlock on AT&T iPhone 4 and the carrier info went from AT&T 12.0 to Carrier 12.0. It didn't matter what SIM was inserted afterwards.

4. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright, thank you for the confirmation! :)

@Daveoc64 so basically, if i have an AT&T sim in the phone, it'll say "AT&T 12.0?" And a carrier like tmobile will say "Carrier 12.0?" I'm guessing that is what your post implied. Thanks for the reply! :)