A Radical Revolutionary Comments on the Trump Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Nov 13, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

George Washington, Farewell Address
    Sept. 19, 1796

2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

At least give some context ... this is Washington's opinion on forming political parties. Grumpy Trumpy, though part of the republican ticket, isn't like other republicans and wants to do whatever the hell he wants without regarding what the political party stands for, unlike Hillary. You know what that means!! :p:D

Source: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/washing.asp

Though on a more serious note, I have to admit, vrDrew reintroduced me to the farewell statement and I read through it. Man this was a wonderful farewell speech, with tons of inspiring statements. Washington was definitely something.

3. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I bolded certain sections for a reason.

Throughout the history of our Republic, Presidents and parties on assuming power took heed of Washington's words. Trump does not appear to be doing so. In the past 72 hours his spokesperson, Kellyanne Conway, has threatened both Hillary Clinton and Harry Reid with legal "consequences."

Barack Obama, on becoming President, pointedly declined to press for prosecutions of Bush Administration officials who - by almost every reasonable standard - had been guilty of war crimes in ordering torture and extraordinary renditions. Obama also made a point of appointing and nominating Republicans to high-level Cabinet positions. Trump, by all accounts, seems intent on stacking his deck with hacks and extremists. He's chosen this charmer to be his White House Strategist on Science and Technology.

The jury is still out on whether Trump will ultimately follow through and populate his Cabinet with 100% far-right Republicans. But if he does, then that ought to be a pretty good indication of the dictatorship he is going to install in this country.

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Justice Souter (I think) said similar.

In desperation Hitlers come to power.

5. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Oh no, "Far Right wing extremists"

Tis almost as if the Republicans had won political power through some sort of free election.

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I asked earlier in the weekend, how many more rant threads we could expect from vrDrew. Looks like it was 4.

I think we should think about starting a gofund me to raise money to buy him a ticket to Peru; he'd probably feel more at ease there. America isn't good for his psyche, that much is clear.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To be honest, we will need a great many more to even come close to the barrage of bilious threads with horrible titles started by @aaronvan during the campaign.

However, if this is true, - and I suspect that @vrDrew has sounded a sort of historical tuning fork - then it is a cause for concern.

If it is not true, well, the number of threads started by outraged liberals still do not come remotely close to the tsunami of bile that poured out from the other side of the spectrum during the campaign.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

but @aaronvan posts are sometimes to stir the pot and sometimes in jest @vrDrew tends to be serious. I don't really see this as a place to have serious political discourse it's a place to throw out ideas and be a bit snarky.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, but there is a thin line sometimes between stirring the pot, snark, - which has its place - and stuff that is gratuitously offensive. Personally, I cannot take thread titles that are extraordinarily offensive - and deliberately so - 'in jest'.

Calling Secretary Clinton a 'pig', or a 'bitch' is something that I find deeply offensive.

By all means call her out on the Clinton Foundation stuff, the speaking fees, the cosiness with Wall Street, and the fact that her instincts on foreign affairs - or international relations - were altogether too hawkish, sometimes. That is political stuff, and something that anyone who plays a role in the public, or political, space should be held accountable on.

Anyway, as my life takes place in a political world, - and has done both as an academic and as a public servant - I tend to take politics awfully seriously; to me, politics are more important than to be reduced to snark.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Americans love to kick the legs out from under the pedestal we put people on on top of that we tend to like a good fight and that in summation is American politics.

There is a time and a place for everything I'm not sure a tech BBS is the place for political discourse but maybe it is but I like the gutter too much.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I don't mind irreverence - the old 'cat looks at a king' - nor, interrogation, nor healthy skepticism and criticism - not only is it very healthy, it is very necessary in a democracy to keep elites and rulers accountable: However, I do mind deeply offensive insults based on what a person is, (gender, race, ethnicity) rather than on what they do, have done, or what they say they stand for.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

bookmark this thread as I'd love to check back in 4 years from now to see the comparison of what Obama has done to our country as it relates to our constitution vs Trump.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So did Hitler.

14. DearthnVader, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Hitler was offered the Chancellorship, he was never elected. Incase you never noticed, the US is not 1930's Germany, tho Lincoln was elected.

15. lowendlinux, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't mind the comments if you are willing to accept it when others fling them back at you.

I know you think much of the dislike for HRC has to do with her gender but I really don't agree. We've seen the Clinton's in action for 30 odd years now some of their problems are partisan, some are optics, but all of them they brought on themselves they're not victims. The same applies also applies to our current president elect he's asked for his issues and he's about to get them in spades. She nor he are Pol Pot, Stalin, Hitler or any of the the other things thrown about but the are both deceptive with ego's the size of the sun. I'd love to see a Merkel run and I'd love see us open to that type of person but on November 8th we chose between an SOB and DOB neither had our interests at heart.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Godwin's law is an internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazism or Hitler approaches that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism."

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

However Godwin's law is also not a reason to dismiss every argument that you may disagree with either.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

In regards to comparing Trump to Hitler sure there is.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Fun fact: George Washington had wooden teeth.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Fun Fact #2 The cherry tree story never happened.

21. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Fixed it for you!

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Stop this please. For the sake of History, stop this.
    Reductio ad hitlerium is getting out of hands.

23. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

What are you talking about. He chopped down the cherry tree and made the teeth out of the wood.

I heard benjamin franklin or was that benjamin moore created the stain/sealer for said cherry teeth.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]

Then we have Abraham Lincoln telling us not to believe everything we read on the internet.:D

25. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

A man walks up to his son and asks him, "Who knocked over the outhouse?"
    His son tells him, " I can not tell a lie, I knocked over the outhouse."
    The man then proceeds to beat the boy senseless.
    The boy cries," But George Washington chopped down the cherry tree, and his dad did not beat him, because he did not lie when asked who did it!"
    The man tells his son," Yea, but George Washington's dad wasn't taking a **** in the cherry tree when he chopped it down."