A redesign or slightly tweaked iphone 6s/6s plus is out of the question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chad.petree, Jan 19, 2015.

1. chad.petree, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015

chad.petree macrumors 6502

chad.petree

Do you think is impossible that apple alters the look of the iphone 6s and specially the 6s plus? I know apple likes their symmetry and they need space for the touch id sensor, but is really necessary to have the top screen bezel be so damn big? The iphone 6 is taller than my old nexus 5 which had a 5" screen!

I think the iphone 6 plus specially needs to get its bezels trimmed, I wanted to get the 6 plus, but it's just ridiculous how big it is compared to a phone with the same screen size like the LG G3 :rolleyes:, and the lines on the back are just fugly, HTC implementation's is much better, yes I'm excited for the 2 gb RAM , the new camera and the possibility of recording 4k with our phones but I don't think the 6/6 plus design will be able to hold well until 2016 :confused:

I know every "S" iphone so far has kept the design, but until last year an iphone with a 5.5" screen was unthinkable, things in Apple are changing

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

It will hold. As everyone other phone has since 2007.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Fixing the protruding camera lens is definitely a possibility, but the bezels are most likely here to stay.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Very little chance of change. You will need to wait on the 7.

Betting most of the parts for the 6S are being manufactured.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

To fix it they would have to make the whole device 1mm thicker, otherwise they would have to sacrifice the brilliant camera lens. Can you really see them altering the case moulding for the sake of the camera? It seems like change for change sake as the existing camera poses no problems at all IMO.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It's possible that during this one year, camera tech improves to the point that Apple is able to put in a new camera which is thinner, yet offers the same quality of photo taking.

You may not find it an issue, but given the pains Apple takes to hide that "camera bump" in their photos and advertisements, I can see that they clearly view it as an embarrassment. If the opportunity arises to get rid of that bump without sacrificing the camera quality, Apple will jump on it the first opportunity they get.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The raised camera is visible in the marketing of the UK's Apple Store.

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-6/

Clearly an embarrassment? To be honest if it is flush or raised by half a millimetre makes no difference to me and its not a complaint I have heard away from this forum. Anyway, whatever eh? I suppose preferences differ. :)

8. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

chad.petree

I actually would like it if Apple made the phone thicker to make the camera flush with the phone and put a bigger battery on the phone at the same time, the 6 desperately NEEDS it :mad: , also maybe a thicker phone would make it easier to have a better grip of the phone?

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It's visible in just two of the photos where it's impossible not to show it - Apple are clearly trying to hide it, just look at the photo of the side of the device. It's nowhere to be seen.

Attached Files:

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That will never happen. Apple is obsessed with thinner designs, going thicker is contrary to their philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I think they went too thin with the IP6 but I don't see them changing course.

11. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

chad.petree

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, apple and its obsession for thin devices are getting out of hand :(

I'm expecting apple to reinforce the design of the 6s and the 6s, too protect their asses from another bendgate situation, although there won't be any mention of it at all, we'll just have to wait for ifixit's teardown

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

13. dilap macrumors 6502a

Expect the Unexpected

i doubt it though, for Apple the issues don't seem to be a huge problem, as otherwise they would have changed the bezels for the iPhone's a looooooooooooong time ago. I never noticed the bezels on my iPad 1, and I liked having a place to rest my fingers! :p

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I agree with the TOO thin Apple obcession! Rumors have it the new Macbook Air is even thinner, so much thinner the removed all the conventional ports and even the SD card reader!

15. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

This essentially answers it. Usually the S is for a modified phone, but in terms of guts, not a redesign. It is possible to see slight physical alterations to distinguish it from its predecessor. But normally small tweaks are only made to correct issues or more major ones to accommodate new features (touch id on the 5S vs the 5)

16. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

As is the norm with the "s" models, all we'll see is new insides. 2GB of RAM and a few more things.

The protruding camera will no longer be and thinner bezels will feature with the iPhone 7.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's always possible that Apple will break their pattern and re-design after a year. However, since this iPhone's sales were great I don't see much of a motivation for them to go to the trouble.

I think the very most we can hope for is perhaps a flush camera--but I think even that is unlikely. Maybe we'll get different colors.

Most likely though all changes will be internal. More RAM, better chip, longer battery life, split screen multitasking etc. I'm also hoping that the 6 and the 6s are brought up to par with each other feature wise.

Also, we'll see what Samsung and HTC come out with in a month--though I expect they will make the same compromises they always have.

18. 617aircav Suspended

I doubt apple will redesign the S. There have zero reason to.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

Agreed. I would rather have a phone that is a little bit thicker than having the camera stick out. That said, most Samsung phones have the camera sticking out and yet there is hardly any outcry.

20. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

im actually happy with the iphone 6 design.
    sure, crap to handle, but it looks stunning especially in black.

not happy with the build quality though. I reckon it is not built as well as an iphone 5.

21. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It's not down to camera tech. To take a quality picture, the image being captured has to be focussed perfectly on the sensor. To do this requires the sensor or the lens to move in or out. I suspect that the limiting factor is optical.

----------

It is very unlikely unless the design is a complete flop. Apple like to get their moneys worth from a design.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So basically it's like photos of the iMac where the angle is such that the slight bulge in the back isn't noticeable. Unless they're actually airbrushing it out of photos I don't see what the issue is.

23. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It's not an issue per se, but it's obvious that Apple don't really want to draw attention to it.

24. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

While they have never made these types of changes since 2007, with their latest moves of having multiple iPhone variants, having a 5.5" model, you never know what they will end up doing going forward. Apple isn't as far ahead in the smartphone game as they were a few years ago, and with every other manufacturer releasing redesigned models every year, Apple may have to follow the same suit to keep up.