A Remorseless Rudolph Gets Life Sentence for Bombing at Clinic

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
4,388
7
toronto

link


Eric Rudolph, who has confessed to the Atlanta Olympics bombing and three other explosions that killed two and injured 150, received two life sentences today for a fatal abortion clinic blast after angrily denouncing abortion and telling the federal court that "deadly force is needed to stop it."

Mr. Rudolph, a 38-year-old former Army explosives expert, pleaded guilty in April to setting off a bomb that injured a nurse, Emily Lyons, and killed a police officer, Robert Sanderson, outside the Woman All Women abortion clinic in Birmingham, Ala., in 1998.

He was sentenced to two consecutive life terms without parole today in a federal courtroom in Birmingham.

Judge C. Lynwood Smith of Federal District Court in Birmingham said Mr. Rudolph postured himself "as a superior human being" and compared him to the Nazis, who "sought to eradicate a segment of the population." He ordered him to pay $1,276,000 in damages to his victims.

Mr. Rudolph, who has not expressed any remorse, insisted in court that he would be "vindicated."

"What they did was participate in the murder and dismemberment of upward of 50 children a week," Mr. Rudolph said. "I will be vindicated - my actions in Birmingham that overcast day in January 1998 will be vindicated. As I go to a prison cell for a lifetime I know that I have fought a good fight. I have finished my course. I have kept the faith."

Under a plea agreement that allowed him to avoid the death penalty for the four bombings, Mr. Rudolph also confessed in April to the bombing at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics that killed one woman and injured 111 people, and the bombing of a gay and lesbian nightclub and an abortion clinic in Atlanta in 1997.

He is scheduled to receive two life sentences without parole in August for the Atlanta blasts.

(more)
let us note that, at least in this article, the words "terror" and "terrorist" were not used. 'cuz he was "fighting the good fight," i guess.
 

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
4,388
7
toronto
most sites are carrying the AP story, which doesn't use "terror" or "terrorist," but i'm mildly surprised to see it in the CNN story:
"No matter how he tries to justify his actions and glorify himself, he is a terrorist. He is a murderer," Felicia Sanderson, the officer's widow, told reporters outside the courtroom in Birmingham.
i'll note that it's from a victim's quote, and not from that of an official or the reporter's word.
 

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
19,708
4,274
"Between the Hedges"
mactastic said:
Ah yes. Good ol' Christian terrorism.
I know I'm going to regret venturing in here again...

...but as a Christian, I, and most I know, would disavow Rudolph and his methods. I may have strong beliefs, but I don't advocate such barbarism.

There are extremists in every group that give the majority a bad name.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,647
661
Colly-fornia
MacDawg said:
I know I'm going to regret venturing in here again...

...but as a Christian, I, and most I know, would disavow Rudolph and his methods. I may have strong beliefs, but I don't advocate such barbarism.

There are extremists in every group that give the majority a bad name.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
No, really? I wonder if all Muslims agree with bin Laden...

I mean, they could have strong beliefs different from ours and still not want to kill us.

I wonder if Rudolph hates us for our freedoms too.

Maybe radical Christianity's just an evil ideology...
 

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
2,076
28
Washington, DC
MacDawg said:
I know I'm going to regret venturing in here again...

...but as a Christian, I, and most I know, would disavow Rudolph and his methods. I may have strong beliefs, but I don't advocate such barbarism.

There are extremists in every group that give the majority a bad name.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
Exactly right. The problem is that no one really gets to define what it means to be a Chirstian or what it means to be a Muslim. Not even the Pope gets to define what it means to be a Catholic (at least for plenty of Catholics that I've met).

Still, the issue is that Americans (and the media) seem unwilling to recognize that terrorism is a tactic, not an -ism in the general sense of the word. A war on terrorism makes as much sense as a war on general warfare, or a war on hit-and-run.
 

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
4,388
7
toronto
MacDawg said:
...but as a Christian, I, and most I know, would disavow Rudolph and his methods. I may have strong beliefs, but I don't advocate such barbarism.
would you call rudolph a terrorist?
 

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
19,708
4,274
"Between the Hedges"
mactastic said:
No, really? I wonder if all Muslims agree with bin Laden...

I mean, they could have strong beliefs different from ours and still not want to kill us.
I would agree to that

mactastic said:
I wonder if Rudolph hates us for our freedoms too.

Maybe radical Christianity's just an evil ideology...
Any ideology taken to extreme can be "evil" depending on the standards of good and evil. I see little in Rudolph that can be traced to even a casual understanding of the Bible.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
 

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
19,708
4,274
"Between the Hedges"
zimv20 said:
would you call rudolph a terrorist?
Absolutely

For that matter I would call McVeigh and his buddy, what's his name, terrorists as well

I agree that terrorism is a method, and is not limited to any one ideology

Woof, Woof - Dawg
 

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
4,388
7
toronto
MacDawg said:
For that matter I would call McVeigh and his buddy, what's his name, terrorists as well
me too.

shoddy terrorists, imo, 'cuz to me the whole point is to effect political and/or governmental policy change, and w/o pushing one's agenda, blowing stuff up is nothing more than fulfilling a pedestrian, adolescent fantasy.

"Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you *keep* it a *secret*!"
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,647
661
Colly-fornia
MacDawg said:
Any ideology taken to extreme can be "evil" depending on the standards of good and evil. I see little in Rudolph that can be traced to even a casual understanding of the Bible.
I hear ya... But people can pull quotes out of the Bible to justify the twisted, racist version of Christianity Rudolph adheres to, just as Pat Robertson and others can point to violent passages in the Koran.

People here understand enough about the Bible to know Rudolph's off the deep end. But when Robertson tells us Islam is evil, we don't tell him to stuff a sock in it like you would if I tried to tell you that Christianity is evil.
 

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
19,708
4,274
"Between the Hedges"
mactastic said:
People here understand enough about the Bible to know Rudolph's off the deep end. But when Robertson tells us Islam is evil, we don't tell him to stuff a sock in it like you would if I tried to tell you that Christianity is evil.
You are assuming that you know how I would respond... careful, that has the seeds of extremism... projecting your preconceptions on others and not allowing them to express it themselves. You could be wrong. ;)

I could tell you that Christianity is not evil, but the perversion of it most definitely can be. But I would be open to the argument that everyone has their own version of Christianity, so who is right.

And certainly to some, perhaps the homosexual or the abortionist, my version of Christianity might appear to be threatening, and perceived to be "evil" in their world view. So in that regard, "good" and "evil" become relative terms based on world view.

I, myself have read the Koran, and I have studied some of Islam and its ways. In fact, at one point in time I had designs on working in the Islamic world. Islam and Christianity both have bloodthirsty pasts. Both can be equally treacherous and heinous.

I happen to believe that both extremes are wrong. I also believe that Islam is fundamentally wrong in its beliefs and philosophy/world view, but not necessarily evil incarnate. But by the same token I would disagree fundamentally with Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, et. al. But I would not throw a blanket over all of their followers and call them evil, or even bad people. Most are good people, and some, maybe many, are better citizens, husbands, wives and parents than Christians. That is to Christianity's shame.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,647
661
Colly-fornia
I had no preconceptions of how you would answer, save that I know you would not call Christianity evil. Am I wrong?

Now, if only all Christians were as tolerant as you. But we've seen many even in this forum that are not, not to mention those running around in the political sphere, who spread something other than the tolerance you preach...
 

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
2
706
Terlingua, Texas
I've boomed around a lot of the world. Lived in or travelled extensively in some 20 countries. Asia as well as Europe. I've wandered through some 40 of the US states.

I still take it for granted that 90% of all people are okay. I think that's a fair generalization, regardless of race or religion.

There's always gonna be some number of radicals and nutzoids. Rudolph falls right into this category. One thing I absolutely despise is the type who does his damage by way of the "to whom it may concern" bomb. I can at least understand somebody who goes after a specific target, but to blow up just anybody who happens to be around is absolutely evil.

'Rat
 

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
17,915
1,466
Palookaville
The thing about Rudolph, and the one that generally escapes discussion, is that he remained uncaught for years because many in the area where he hid out sympathized with his cause, cold-blooded murderer though he may be. Now, does that sound familiar, or what? And is that not the single most chilling aspect of the entire Eric Rudolph story?
 

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
IJ Reilly said:
The thing about Rudolph, and the one that generally escapes discussion, is that he remained uncaught for years because many in the area where he hid out sympathized with his cause, cold-blooded murderer though he may be. Now, does that sound familiar, or what? And is that not the single most chilling aspect of the entire Eric Rudolph story?
I hear you, but it might be for other reasons too.
Our society has nut job supporters all around. Remember a few years back when people lined up on the Interstate to hold up "Go OJ" signs?
 

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
1,897
0
Not to mention the fact that OJ was found to be innocent. As was MJ and Robert Blake. CA will always be one of the places I hold dear, but I will be the first to admit that celebrities are somewhat above the law.
 

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
4,388
7
toronto
Xtremehkr said:
As was MJ
careful -- in chicago, MJ always refers to Michael Jordan. i was scratching my head for a few seconds wondering of what he was found innocent.
 

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
1,897
0
zimv20 said:
careful -- in chicago, MJ always refers to Michael Jordan. i was scratching my head for a few seconds wondering of what he was found innocent.
I think of Jordan as the good MJ.
 

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
Xtremehkr said:
Not to mention the fact that OJ was found to be innocent. As was MJ and Robert Blake. CA will always be one of the places I hold dear, but I will be the first to admit that celebrities are somewhat above the law.

My two cents on those mentioned above

OJ... guilty

MJ.... two weird to know for sure

Blake....guilty
 

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
1,897
0
~loserman~ said:
My two cents on those mentioned above

OJ... guilty

MJ.... two weird to know for sure

Blake....guilty
Meh, I think all three were guilty as charged.