A remote app update?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Webwolf2002, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Webwolf2002 macrumors newbie

Webwolf2002

i just ordered the new Apple TV. Is there a new app coming?

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

You would think they would at least have an update. But guess we have to wait until Friday.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There will surely be some kind of compatibility update soon.

But more importantly, will it allow Siri commands via the iPhone/iPad? That would be great.

The ATV remote looks nice and all, but I have an iPhone, which should, by rights, be capable of anything the ATV remote can do, and more.

4. s2mike macrumors 6502

They really need to update the remote app to handle Apple Music, too.

5. LiquidRadio, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

LiquidRadio macrumors newbie

How bizarre that Apple would launch a new TV product without making the incredibly useful Remote App compatible. Siri doesn't search for everything, and it's bloody slow to go back to scanning on screen.

If a new app is coming, why the hell not have it ready for launch day?

(and yes I've checked for updates etc.)

6. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

remote app up to date, inc iPhone?

7. LiquidRadio macrumors newbie

Indeed.

8. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Huh?

9. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I asked if his iPhone and remote app were up-to-date as this may have caused an issue to him not using the remote app via ATV 4.

I'm currently still at work so I can play around with my new ATV 4 yet. The only thing I could think of is that there is a new update for remote app, that needs to be done and hasn't been released yet.

10. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Nope, from the reviews I've read of the ATV4, the current Remote app isn't compatible, which is a PITA as typing with the new remote isn't any better....

11. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

They might update in the future who knows.

I guess the whole point of remote app is gone with ATV 4, as the new remote has a touch pad and siri.

12. LiquidRadio macrumors newbie

How utterly rubbish. How could this not be one of the first things thought about prior to launch?

13. LiquidRadio macrumors newbie

No keyboard however. Siri is quite disappointing (no surprises) as it doesn't search for everything, and just offers a 'selection' of suggestions rather than a full catalogue. You need to manually search for that.

14. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

Well we will have to wait for more updates! Remember people this OS is for mainstream! and most people will find this useful! Lets hope for some updates :)

15. David R macrumors 6502

Just adding my voice. This is a bit ridiculous. Typing in all the usernames and passwords was a pain.

16. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

Can you pair a Bluetooth keyboard to the new Apple TV? It worked great with the last two generations.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Nooo I liked it mainly for typing stuff! passwords and the like!

18. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

yeah I agree I don't want it go either! haha hopefully they'll update it

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Useful for copy + paste for passwords. My HBO, Showtime, and Netflix passwords are all 20+ characters.

This will be annoying.

20. eliehass macrumors regular

I agree. I've always copy pasted my passwords using the remote app. Typing them out is a pain, and the on screen keyboard on the ATV4 is worse for this then the previous ones in my opinion.

21. Hardbattle macrumors member

The Apple Watch remote doesn't connect either..... Unless somebody else has had more luck...,

22. knemonic macrumors 6502a

I remember reading you can pair your iPhone and it transfers all iTunes account info from your phone to it, so less keyboard is needed. But I agree, the remote app should have been updated last night.

The question I'm Curious about is if Siri searches what movies and tv shows you have on your computer through home sharing. I have movies on my Mac for example I would like to be included in the movie results for what I search for.

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

24. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Siri doesn't currently work with home sharing, only those apps Apple has deemed worthy of the feature so far.

I cant believe they haven't done an update for the Remote app, I hope one is coming, I'd like text entry to be possible using that because on screen text entry sucks so far.

25. recoil80 macrumors 68000

The remote app has not been updated since April, so I guess is not compatible with the 4th generation TV.
    They ought to release a new version soon, Siri is not available in my country and I don't want to enter text with the on screen keyboard.
    Even if a bluetooth keyboard was supported I'd rather use my phone, since is much more convenient to use. Come on Apple!