A reporter and photographer were shot dead during a live interview in VA

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by The.316, Aug 26, 2015.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Excuse my language, but WTF is going on in this world? This is getting ridiculous. I am just in absolute shock reading how this all happened. Unbelievable.

From the BBC moments ago:

Two journalists have been shot dead during a live TV report in the US state of Virginia, their employer confirms.

WDBJ7 TV reporter Alison Parker, 24, and cameraman Adam Ward, 27, were killed during an interview in Moneta, Bedford County, the TV station said.

During the live broadcast, shots could be heard, sending the reporter and the person she was interviewing screaming.

Police say they are investigating the incident and still searching for the suspect.

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I often hear that there have always been nutters like this, we just hear about it more as the world gets more connected.

But this is something else - being attacked while broadcasting live.

I am curious to know the motivation behind the killings - was it random, targeted against the station, against one or both of them, etc. that the interviewee was not harmed makes me think it wasn't totally random. What worries me about those types of killings is that you can't stop them...

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I hope whoever did this is caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. My thoughts and prayers with the families of these two young people cut down in the prime of their lives.

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

unfortunately journalists get killed relatively often in war zones.......

But when journalists and schoolchildren aren't even safe in a supposedly developed country, then that country has got some real issues it needs to deal with.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Latest figures (2013) show 30.7 people murdered on average every day in America from firearms.

In the case of these two, we're unfortunate enough to have it recorded for all to see.

But it's just a fraction of the violence we've chosen to accept in the U.S.A.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Obviously the answer is that we need to start arming news crews so that they can defend themselves.

Although looking at the footage, it seems they were probably shot before they had any idea what was happening.

Either we need more guns in American society. Or we need less. Because the number we have isn't working.

8. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

I dont know if I heard it correctly, since Im multitasking, but I thought I heard on CNN that the gunman was a former employee of the news station. If that is the case, then there is certainly some interesting motives.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

@The.316 That is what I am hearing and reading also, that he was an ex-employee who was/is "disgruntled". Unknown at this point as to why he was.

It also appears they are chasing him as I type this. It is all over twitter right now.

10. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

I heard the chasing also, but then why would the FBI and ATF be on their way to the area?

And If anyone hasnt seen the video already, my advice, dont watch it. The screaming you hear from the reporter is just chilling.

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I know what you're poking at, but this is looking like the type of crime that you can't prevent.

If he is a disgruntled former employee, the only way to prevent that is to appease whatever behavior or situation led to becoming former, not make him a former, or never hire him.

As for the method, his close approach and surprise attack suggest that neither the reporter or cameraman saw him approach. He was close enough that he would have killed both with just about any weapon - firearm, blade, or bludgeon - before anybody could react.

Prevention of all crime is impossible - the best that an be hoped for is deterrence, and I don't know what it would have taken in this case to convince him to not kill today.

Is that the reporter or the interviewee? Either way, you're right.

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not to mention the last breath you hear from the camera man as he goes limp. Yeah it is all pretty chilling!

13. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

It is just unbelievable the shooter filmed it and then posted it on the internet!

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Even worse is that some people are viewing it.