A reporter asked Jobs: "I can't get my Blackberry to drop bars, can you show me?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Jul 17, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Give that guy a free steak dinner and a medal, for having the ****s to be sarcastic to Steve Jobs and get to the core of the issue.

2. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I can't get my i4 to drop bars, and I don't feel a need to ask the rim owner if he can show me how?

3. yrrej macrumors regular

and the rim owner didn't announce in a press conference that your ip4 drops bars :rolleyes:

4. falconeight Guest

falconeight

But he said it was only an iPhone problem and it is not I can get my bold 9700 to drop bars.

5. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Weren't they at the Apple Headquarters which has a Verizon and AT&T tower right on campus? It'd be pretty hard to drop any bars...

6. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

7. macfan881 macrumors 68020

8. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

The core of the issue is that 99.45% of iPhone 4 users have no signal problem. If 99.45% of Blackberry users have no signal problem then it is on par with iPhone 4.

It was a dumb question from a stupid reporter who isn't qualified to write for his middle school newspaper.

9. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

10. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

No, 99.45% of users haven't *contacted applecare* about the problem. I didn't because I knew that doing so wouldn't help get my problem fixed.

The obvious problem (which I can't see why it hasn't been picked up more) with these comparison videos is that they require the whole phone to be covered with the hand. With the iPhone, you can get the signal to drop with literally just one touch of a finger.

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Because it's not a real problem for the majority of people. For every 100 calls that a person makes, less than one more is dropped when compared to the 3GS (negligible). Though the antenna provides better reception for most, especially in places of weak coverage.

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Nonsense if people don't complain or return the phone then they don't have a problem. The iPhone requires you to cover a 1cm strip and that's nothing.

13. pflau macrumors 6502

Yeah.. meal or no meal?!?!? Give that guy a meal!!!!!

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Bad mistake. If it were 55% instead of 0.55% you can rest assured the problem would get fixed but it's not.

I can't get the bars to drop at all in certain locations (at work, etc.), either with the entire hand or one finger, so the reporter asked the wrong question and Jobs provided the correct answer.

15. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

16. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

on http://www.apple.com/antenna/ there are videos of them testing the different phones, there's also videos on youtube of people doing it on different phones though they aren't as popular or easy to find as the ones of the iphone 4

17. Stay Tuned macrumors member

You should be forced to retake first grade reading comprehension.

18. Spyharpy macrumors member

Spyharpy

I was on a phone call and decided to hold my iPhone 4 in the manner where bars will start to drop. I did this and saw all the bars disappear but the important thing is the call was NOT dropped! I spoke another five minutes walking around my place with ZERO bars displaying and the call was still as crisp and clear as before. I held the phone in a different manner and the bars reappeared to full strength and repeated the process several times. NO DROPPED CALL.

This is all blown out of proportion.

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

It is not blown out of proportion for some of us. I used (and will return to using again) an Iphone 2G in my home - and signal averaged 4-5 bars over 3 years now.

I simply hold my IP4 and I get "NO SERVICE" from "full bars" - forget about dropping calls, I can't even initiate one... This is no death grip, my hand was not soaked in salt water, and I'm not popping iron supplements....

20. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

If that's the case why are we not seeing a deluge of returns?

21. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

because people are sheep and they rather have their narcissistic egos fueled by a shiny new iP4

22. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

That's a pretty blanket statement. How would you know what % of iPhone users that applies to? Hater. :rolleyes: